Don't we have enough picks? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't we have enough picks?

How many picks do we have in which rounds ?
I know we have 2 in round 1 and 2 in round 2

Can someone post the break down
I THINK this is what we have. Though I know there is some uncertainty on some later rounds because of conditions on picks. But this is what I have right now:

1st round (From Texans)
1st round
2nd round (From Texans)
2nd round
3rd round
4th round
6th round (From Raiders)
6th round (From Seahawks)
7th round (Chiefs)

I THINK this is what we have. Though I know there is some uncertainty on some later rounds because of conditions on picks. But this is what I have right now:

1st round (From Texans)
1st round
2nd round (From Texans)
2nd round
3rd round
4th round
6th round (From Raiders)
7th round (Chiefs)

The conditionals one are what is unclear i guess Nubs

The first 6 everyone agrees on so i guess they are in stone

The Dolphins are in a great spot if they choose to entertain offers for additional picks. My question is at what cost does it come with to the team to trade down? I know they will get extra picks, but sometimes the extra picks don't make up for the blue chip players that go to other teams.

When there are elite edge guys at premium positions like DL/Edge, QB, LT then yes, moving down doesn't always make up for that drop in talent because it's so rare to begin with.

Skill position players are different. They can be found anywhere and a top 5/10 value isn't always warranted unless your franchise has 1 head and shoulders above the rest and have a serious need for that position.

If this year's draft had a Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, Chase Young, etc in the Top 3, or the franchise thought they needed a QB, i wouldn't even be entertaining a trade down. But there's no elite edge/DT this year and if Tua is their guy, i see no reason to not entertain calls for #3 unless Sewell is your guy. The depth and value is absolutely there to trade down.

The conditionals one are what is unclear i guess Nubs

The first 6 everyone agrees on so i guess they are in stone
Correct, those first 6 are certain. It's round 5-7 that is a little iffy. I am pretty sure there is no 5th rounder, and I am pretty sure there are three picks between rounds 6 and 7.

1st round (From Texans)
1st round
2nd round (From Texans)
2nd round
3rd round
4th round
6th round (From Raiders)
7th round (Chiefs)
People forgot we had two 2nd rds

A Tunsil like deal to move back a few spots?

I guess it's always possible, but I'm not seeing it here. Maybe if we had the first pick.
I've seen some projections that are close to that type of deal. But we'll see.

Some teams that seem quarterback hungry may not be, such as Philadelphia and Atlanta. I could see the Eagles giving Hurts a chance, while the Falcons still have Matt Ryan.

There are so many good players I'm seeing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and even the 4th.

Just as an example we could sort our run game if had enough picks to take both Javonte Williams and Michael Carter, plus Quinn Meinerz and Trey Smith for the IOL.

You wouldn't have to worry about separation if we could add Elijah Moore and Shi Smith into the mix. You could probably get Austin Watkins in the 4th.

And that's before going into the Defense. There are some nice options there for starting Safeties and slot CBs on Day 2 and several Day 3 Edge rushers who could do well in our system.

I think the idea of trading back this draft is that the player they will likely target at #3 (Chase or Smith) assuming they don't want want Penei Sewell will likely be on the board at like #5 or #6. But by dropping a few spots back and still getting the same player, they could add potentially another 1st round pick in 2022. That is why you explore trading back.
And wouldn't it be nice if the team that we trade back with for next year's first, happens to be very bad and nets us another top 5 pick. Keep going to that well until it dries up.

Hypothetically.... Carolina trades for Watson. Texans now with #8 trade up with us and we get #8 and the Houston 2022 1st round pick.

Chase, Waddle or Smith at #8.....

2022 Houston 1st rounder will be in the top 3 again next year. We can trade it again to a QB needy team and the wheel keeps spinning and spinning, we have top 5 picks for free for the rest of time. Ive been doing it in Madden franchise mode for 20 years.

So should we trade down... yes but the key is to get a 1st round pick the following year of a struggling franchise.
A 1st and a 2nd would be great every year but I'm just being greedy.

I am not opposed to trading back, but with so many draft picks already, and obviously not every pick makes the team, isn't it time to just draft best player available and not trade back?. I understand the concept of you can't have too many picks, by trading back aren't we in theory taking lesser players?. Also we already have a very young team. Or, are we so bad at drafting players the more picks we have the likelihood of getting good players increases with more picks?

Have you heard the quote" you can't have your cake and eat it too"?

In our case, it's not true. "We can have our cake and eat it too"!

We currently have a lot of draft picks (Thank You Mr. Grier). That's our cake.

If we trade down from #3 to <= to #12 we will still have 2, 1st round draft picks in the first 20 (the range for the typical cream of the crop is the first 20 picks) and we will have even more later round picks, or more picks next year, or both.

That's when we "can have our cake and eat it too" takes over.

This is an uncommon set of conditions with multiple 1st round picks and more multiple round picks later on. If you are going to be satisfied with the BPA route, then trading back should have you drooling, and not in a babbling rage kind of way. - LOL

Absolutely spot on. We don’t need MORE players we need BETTER players. We need game changing, elite players. Consider that our best two players are a CB and a K. Lol. The history behind the MD trading down has been an historic fail and anyone who doesn’t agree can prove me wrong. I’ve been around since 1966 so I do know a little about how epically bad we’ve been. If we haven’t ID’d a player at 3 by now we’re Fd anyway.

I think we need both more AND better players. Trading back on pick number 3 is a way to enhance that capability!

I am a fan of trading down doubling up on picks there are safety in numbers. Loved the Jimmy Johnson draft days when he was deciple of aquiring picks with his wheeling and dealing. Our old GM Spielman now with the Vikings has gotten good at this and his draft picking has improved. IMO. This year it's my hope we can aquire another first in next year's draft so we have insurance in case Tua is not the answer and if we cannot do this then I am now in favor of drafting QB Fields if he is available.

Back
Top Bottom