Don't we have enough picks? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't we have enough picks?

We have more holes than Pamela Anderson. 2 first round picks, 2 2nd round picks. Botching this draft would be a crime.

As a "homer", I feel it would be hard to botch this draft.

If you mean "optimizing" this draft, that's another question. If you are worried about it, then trading back for more picks is the way to go to insure a greater probability of getting some good players.

Last edited:
One last thought... Last year, if we had traded down... we could have gotten 2 first round picks and both Justin Jefferson AND Chase Claypool for that pick.

Now, that's a hindsight deal... and immediately questionable about whether we would have taken these actual players... but more shots... more better.

In Ariel combat (fighter planes in dog fights), it is said that what you want to do as a pilot is be "the firstest with the mostest". This means shooting at the other guy before he shoots at you and shooting the most to increase the odds that you shoot them down.

This certainly seems to be just as appropriate for NFL drafts.

In Ariel combat (fighter planes in dog fights), it is said that what you want to do as a pilot is be "the firstest with the mostest". This means shooting at the other guy before he shoots at you and shooting the most to increase the odds that you shoot them down.

I misread that last line as "She has the ability to create positions...." - LOL

If we can convince the Falcons we are going to trade back to a QB needy team I feel like we can get their second round pick just to move back one spot and get the same player. Worst case I think we could give them a 4th to sweeten the deal.

Then we have two 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders. I’m good with that.

Years after Dallas pulled off the Herschel Walker deal... and several years worth of constantly trading down... analysts generally pointed out that Dallas hadn't drafted successful players at a higher rate than anyone else... it's just that they'd had so many extra picks that for every 2nd rounder who busted... another one made it.
They frequently doubled up on players... because they could.
Bellicheat has always had more draft picks than anyone else due to trading and comp picks...
Very, VERY few players are can't miss. For every Manning, there is a Leaf... for every Bosa... a Jordan.

More is almost always better.

I think we need both more AND better players. Trading back on pick number 3 is a way to enhance that capability!
Please tell me when this strategy since 1966 has ever worked for the Miami Dolphins? I’ll wait

Every team needs more players unless they have zero free agents or cap cuts.

Every teams also needs better players.

Miami needs both.
Miami needs ELITE players. Check out the elite AFC teams and the pro bowl roster and you’ll see the problem. They aren’t elite because they have more players. They’re elite because they have elite playmakers. We have an elite kicker and X. That’s it

We've only got 7 picks in total. We are probably one pick short of being able to fill most of our needs through the draft. If we go out and splurge in FA, then yes we probably do have enough. But try doing a mock with just the picks we have, it's very hard to fill all our needs and of course you would be relying a lot on the 6th and 7th rounders.

The other thing that's important to note, is that 3 is a little too high for the players we need. Unless we go Sewell, but that feels more luxury when our needs are in other areas. There's no value in picking a WR at 3, we can easily drop back and still have a choice of who we want to fill the most obvious need. There are no real, stud, "can't miss" D players in this draft. So if you want one of those, you are overpaying taking one at 3.
The whole filling all our needs concept is hyperbolic. This isn't fantasy football. We won't ever fill all our needs nor will any other team. Players are always going to become FAs, get injured or decline just enough to cause a need for fresh blood at a position. The question with the picks is what moves or selections can be made to impact the team in the most positive manner? We're also not going to hit on every pick. I often argue that you can feel as rosy as you wish about the roster but one injury and the entirety of the O or D can be impacted. There are some positions that aren't glaring holes but we have insignificant depth so we appear to address an unneeded position to alleviate that depth issue.

As others said, it's a combo of FA and draft working together.

I am not opposed to trading back, but with so many draft picks already, and obviously not every pick makes the team, isn't it time to just draft best player available and not trade back?. I understand the concept of you can't have too many picks, by trading back aren't we in theory taking lesser players?. Also we already have a very young team. Or, are we so bad at drafting players the more picks we have the likelihood of getting good players increases with more picks?

Probably have enough picks, but that doesn't exclude getting more. For example, and I'm fabricating this, Miami wants Chase at #3. They get an offer to trade down to #5 and STILL get Chase. Yeah, they'll go for more picks. There are situations where more picks is worth the effort. OTOH, Grier/Flo have no need to trade to get more picks. Good position to be in

Back
Top Bottom