Dowell Loggains is new OC | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dowell Loggains is new OC

Yeah, sadly I think we're just going to have to sort this mess out by judging the results a year from now.

Though here's another thought: Maybe he's planning to actually be more hands-on with the defense? If Loggains 'gets' Gase and what he wants to do, that would theoretically free up more time for Gase to oversee other aspects of the team? In that case, it could be an improvement.
Hey that's a god point. One thing I haven't liked about Gase is that he seems to still be acting as an OC instead of a HC that is in charge of the whole team. Maybe this guy will help him do that

Ozzy rules!!

I'm hoping loggains is here because Gase wants someone that knows how he thinks and can teach the players his scheme inside and out, leaving Gase to just playcall and not have to constantly watch over the offense. Hopefully it'll open up some time for Gase to game plan more rather than having to do other peoples jobs for them.

Didnt Gase try to hire him when he got hired? If so, then Gase just got the guy he wanted all along... Would also explain why they didnt even interview anyone else... I'd bet it's the same deal with Washburn...

Didnt Gase try to hire him when he got hired? If so, then Gase just got the guy he wanted all along... Would also explain why they didnt even interview anyone else... I'd bet it's the same deal with Washburn...

I think it actually hurt Gase by Fox still having the Bears job. I believe he wanted to pilfer quite a bit of the staff but could not due to either blocking or the assistant being as loyal to Fox. At that time, they were not on the hot seat. Poor timing is what I would chalk it up to.

Trash in trash out

Darlington just said that this was a long time coming, and that Christensen and Gase didn't have the best communication between each other.

Also stated Clyde has been offered a new position but not necessarily as an offensive assistant

I was hoping that Clyde would be gone. He has not done a good enough job running the offense. Coach Gase basically fulfills the roles of play caller and QB coach. Those are valid areas to criticize him. He wants an OC that runs a tight ship training and managing the offensive players and position groups. Across the board Clyde failed his assignment.

Not gonna call plays. Good with QBs. Young. Uncontroversial. Familiar. Real hard to care about this one.

It's a big fat **** you to Christensen. 'We know you really weren't at fault for the ****ty O because you don't even call plays, but we're gonna demote you and hire someone else for your mostly figurehead position.' He might even be doing the same exact job - only for less money. Oof.

One breakdown of the responsibilities for the OC is manage training, manage daily work, ensure a cohesive unit, strategy including designing the offense, and play calling. Coach Gase defines the offensive play book and strategy and calls the plays. This means Clyde was responsible for managing the unit and offensive staff. Having multiple coaching changes on his staff does not reflect well. Players not knowing assignments, player performance, poor offensive line play, poor discipline are a direct reflection of his poor performance.

But Gase - the head coach and the one calling plays - gets a pass? Interesting.

I don't disagree but I could make just as good an argument that Gase is an eccentric who needs to be communicated with a certain way ... and Clyde wasn't getting it. Loggains does.

I like Gase. There's a good chance he's a weird one, though. Too much stuff gets leaked out pointing in that direction. I'll go ahead and hope Clyde didn't have his group under control and that's why he got demoted (I guess we'll see there ...), but I have my doubts.

The conclusion that play calling and strategy were not the main issues is one of the possible outcomes. If it was clear that play calls were predictable and defensive players were never fooled, then he should take the lion share of the blame. I saw too many good plays and open receivers for me to believe that play calling and strategy were the main contributors to offensive problems. My impression of the reason drives failed were penalties, lack of communication on blitzes and stunts, missed assignments including not know routes or responsibilities. These are Management and training failures of the offensive coaching staff. Coach Gase has his hands full with offensive strategy, comprehensive game plan, personnel management, communication, and other HC responsibilities. He is responsible because he is the HC, but it is likely the true issues were with the management of the offensive unit. The correct people are bearing the consequences.

I do believe it is fair to question wether the offense can succeed with this split of responsibilities. It is not the common approach.

Except he is not calling plays. Gase likes him because he is good with QBs and knows the type of offense he wants to run. It allows Gase a trusted coach on offense to take some stuff off his plate during the week. I don't care if he is overly conservative when calling plays as that's not what he will be doing with us. This is all about freeing up some of Gases time during the week.

A few pluses.

He will understand what Gase wants and is trying to do.
He’s been involved in some good rushing attacks and I’d hope he keep Gase “grounded” in this respect.
He will spread the work around so Gase is not spread too thin.
As an experienced guy, hopefully he can help with offensive penalties. If you charted out each drive we had, how many were ruined by a penalty?

Was just about to post that as long as he's got the ability to tell Gase to remember we actually have a pretty damned good ability to run the ball and that we don't have to pass 70% of the time then he'll be an upgrade over what we've had.

No doubt our offense stunk this year but how many coaches would have won more than 6 games with Jay Cutler and Matt Moore? Hell look at the Eagles and their O with Foles vs Wentz. It looks like the greatest show on turf with Wentz and the 20xx Dolphins with Foles. Hopefully having an entire year to see the game in a different light will have helped Tannehill and we'll be moving way up the ladder offensively next season.

I'm just trying to find out who he coached when he was a QB coach. Cutler with the Bears? Where else was he a QB coach?
He has never developed anybody at qb and has not done a great job of even keeping an OC job. We are stint number 3 and he isn't even 40 lol

The Adam Gase OC is not a true OC. Gase is the offensive "idea guy" and his OC is the implementer and administrator. Joe Philbin was this kind of OC for Mike McCarthy. You don't need some football wizard to be our OC, you just need a guy that can help teach the playbook and get the offense organized. I like this hire and I think it will help Gase prepare better game plans.

This was a concern when Gase was hired, remember? How many connections does the young coach have around the league to build a good staff.?

The answer is interview. OC for a NFL team should have candidates lining up. Good young talent will line up. Just interview and scout that talent. The "network" bs is just about the old boys club crap. That gets us nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom