Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win

This draft a QB every year craze— for lack of a better word— is remarkably stupid. There’s not even enough QB talent in the first round to meet the demand, much less in the late rounds.

And it’s not as if the Dolphins haven’t spent plenty of picks on QB. They just haven’t amounted to anything. For every Tom Brady picked in the sixth round there’s a whole slew of nothing. Hell, the Dolphins haven’t even been successful finding QBs in the second round, much less the sixth. And once Tannehill washes out of here, that’s a first round pick that amounted to a big fat nothing.

Dolphins had the amazing fortune to draft Griese and Marino. After that, not so much.

Thought this subject was already covered in another recent thread?

That said...

Not a fan of a deterministic formulas that dictate choices regardless of conditions etc.

Obviously we need to address the QB position. And we've also neglected the position for

far too long. But we have priority needs in multiple areas (OL, DL, QB, CB for sure and

I'd add LB and PHYSICAL TE) and that means, IMO, pick the player with the absolute best

possibility of providing a winning solution where we have a loser problem. Bottom line,

no way under the sun we solve all our basic needs in 1 draft, and I doubt 2 drafts are sufficient.

And I'm "banking" on some very productive (i.e., GOOD) drafts. That means we solve

2+ problems in every draft with high-performance solutions! Not just filler.

But top quality talent. That's what we need -- and that should preempt any

nonsense about obsessing on any one position.

My opinion. Of course.

I agree with you 100%.

I don’t care how good your team is.. if you don’t have a franchise QB... you can’t win consistently.

Thought this subject was already covered in another recent thread?

That said...

Not a fan of a deterministic formulas that dictate choices regardless of conditions etc.

Obviously we need to address the QB position. And we've also neglected the position for

far too long. But we have priority needs in multiple areas (OL, DL, QB, CB for sure and

I'd add LB and PHYSICAL TE) and that means, IMO, pick the player with the absolute best

possibility of providing a winning solution where we have a loser problem. Bottom line,

no way under the sun we solve all our basic needs in 1 draft, and I doubt 2 drafts are sufficient.

And I'm "banking" on some very productive (i.e., GOOD) drafts. That means we solve

2+ problems in every draft with high-performance solutions! Not just filler.

But top quality talent. That's what we need -- and that should preempt any

nonsense about obsessing on any one position.

My opinion. Of course.

Your opinion is wrong. In my humble opinion of course lol

You have 7 rounds of a draft, using one pick per year on the most important position will not stop you from finding good players In other positions

I agree with picking a QB every draft. Doesn't even have to be an early pick, but take at least one shot every year until you hit. But we do need to make a move on an early one soon too. I want more than anything to wait until Lawrence but I realize no one in the NFL has that kind of patience.

A roster full of BPA doesnt meant **** if you want consistent success and dont have a franchise QB. See Vikings who have a damn good roster. And no, Cousins isn't that dude. I've never been a fan and my old posts of Cousins will back that up. Also, wiht BPA you can run into the issue where lets say you are stacked at RB and the BPA is a RB, do you take a RB just because you believe in BPA?

You can have a roster with tons of great players and not get anywhere without a franchise QB.

But get a franchise QB and watch that ****ty roster from one year ago look like world beaters.

Thanks for atleast posting a formidable and reasoned response wtih an actually concept of how to go about it. I just respecfully disagree.
Well drafting a 5th or 6th round QB just because it worked once for Tom Brady doesn't mean it's a good investment. The majority of good NFL QB's come from the 1st round. That's the place where teams have the most success. That doesn't mean you should draft a QB in the 1st round every year. Having a QB and nothing else gives you what Green Bay has now … nothing. And yes, there have been teams that lacked a QB that won the Super Bowl, just ask the Ravens.

Undoubtedly the QB is the most important position. I'm not advocating NOT drafting one if you need one. I'm just saying that if the QB isn't the highest rated player on your board, you're drafting for need. Even when you're drafting for need it's not wise to accept too big of a drop off in quality just for the right position, unless that position is the missing piece to the puzzle.

Sure, if you have no QB, your focus should be on figuring out how to get a good QB, which is exactly where the Dolphins are now and why we're tanking in 2019 to get one in 2020. I'm with you on that part. I'm just saying that drafting a QB every year isn't necessarily the answer. I'm pretty sure that's not the philosophy in Kansas City or Cleveland right now, because those teams have their young QB's. Their needs lie elsewhere.

If you really wanted to up your chances you could draft every draft pick at QB, 7 QB's would increase your chances of finding one … but that's not a sound strategy. Building an entire team is tough. It takes more than just draft picks, it requires free agents and sometimes trades as well. Some players are role players, others cornerstone players. Obviously, it's very hard to succeed unless your QB is a cornerstone player, but to get that guy, it's nearly impossible to find in the mid and late rounds, so maybe we shouldn't be wasting those picks. That's all I'm saying.

Well drafting a 5th or 6th round QB just because it worked once for Tom Brady doesn't mean it's a good investment. The majority of good NFL QB's come from the 1st round. That's the place where teams have the most success. That doesn't mean you should draft a QB in the 1st round every year. Having a QB and nothing else gives you what Green Bay has now … nothing. And yes, there have been teams that lacked a QB that won the Super Bowl, just ask the Ravens.

Undoubtedly the QB is the most important position. I'm not advocating NOT drafting one if you need one. I'm just saying that if the QB isn't the highest rated player on your board, you're drafting for need. Even when you're drafting for need it's not wise to accept too big of a drop off in quality just for the right position, unless that position is the missing piece to the puzzle.

Sure, if you have no QB, your focus should be on figuring out how to get a good QB, which is exactly where the Dolphins are now and why we're tanking in 2019 to get one in 2020. I'm with you on that part. I'm just saying that drafting a QB every year isn't necessarily the answer. I'm pretty sure that's not the philosophy in Kansas City or Cleveland right now, because those teams have their young QB's. Their needs lie elsewhere.

If you really wanted to up your chances you could draft every draft pick at QB, 7 QB's would increase your chances of finding one … but that's not a sound strategy. Building an entire team is tough. It takes more than just draft picks, it requires free agents and sometimes trades as well. Some players are role players, others cornerstone players. Obviously, it's very hard to succeed unless your QB is a cornerstone player, but to get that guy, it's nearly impossible to find in the mid and late rounds, so maybe we shouldn't be wasting those picks. That's all I'm saying.

Pushing a string. We're going to get about 47 of these posts until everyone on this board learns their lessons from the Madden masters

Ya draft the best player available when you draft and if your not sure then ya trade back in the draft for more picks to increase your odds of hitting a stud. Every year there are studs to found in every round. Gotta quit picking for need grab the talent and fill the need the best ya can in college and NFL FA.

I have mentioned this on other thread as have others, we need to take a stab at a QB every single year in the draft until we get the right guy. Given that we are in a "rebuild" for the foresable future, this to me is the best strategy.

Frist things first, we need to move on form TH. Cap hit bedamned. Just move on one way or another, trade or cut.

Next, the strategy is simple. Draft a QB every single year (not saying round 1, but somewhere) and throw them in the fire. The outcomes would go like this basically:

1. We found our guy and well...**** YA!
2. He sucks and we end up with a top 7 pick the following year. Thats how you technically "tank", you have a POS QB in there. Draft a top guy if it makes sense, put the two in competeiton with eachother in camp and see who wins that batterl and rinse and repeat.

WIN-WIN.

Worst case we end up with 2 competant QBs and the franchsie can actually move forward with builidn the rest of the roster.

The NFL has gotten to a point where its no longer a Coach-QB league (see Bears). Its now a QB-Coach league. You cannot spend enough resources in finding a franchise QB.

None of the other crap we do matters whatsoever unless we have the franchsie guy. I dont care what other postions we upgrade, beacuse without our franchsie QB its all a moot point. Make it happen Grier.

Whose with me!?

if you are talking late round qb and hoping to hit gold, fine.... otherwise, your plan isn’t very sound imho.

I agree that we should try to find a quarterback in the draft, but don't reach for a QB just so you can say you drafted a QB. I'm all for drafting late round QB's in hopes that we can get lucky and find a gem though, but don't pass up other players that you think can contribute just so you can say we drafted a QB.

Out of 32 starting QB's for the 2018 season, 23 (72%) of them were 1st round draft choices. That's likely where you're going to find them unless you get real lucky (NE) or have a genius evaluator (Seattle).

4 (were taken in round 2. (Brees, Dalton, Garoppolo, Carr)
1 was taken in round 3. (Wilson)
2 were taken in the 4th round. (Cousins, Prescott)
1 as taken in the 6th round. (Brady)
1 undrafted

Brees was actually the 32nd overall selection so basically a 1st round pick. Now were back to 75%.

Last edited:
If there’s a quarterback in the draft that you think is a can’t miss, you go get him and use the picks on him. You don’t waste pics every year for what might be.

I agree with the need to draft until you find a franchise qb, however, with limitations. I would only draft 1st and maybe early 2nd round picks of qbs you love and believe in. And as stated by others, they may need a year or two to develop, gain confidence, etc. But since they are on a rookie scale, I don't mind too much drafting a high draft pick qb in consecutive or every other year until one hits. Too many good qbs is a nice problem to have.

The whole "draft late rounders and let them develop" strategy is a waste of picks IMO. QB is the most studied, scouted, and analyzed position, and there is usually a consensus on who have the best potential to be successful NFL qbs. In fact, they are usually drafted falsely higher due to their importance. So drafting a 4-7 round pick in hopes that he will somehow turn into a better player is not wise. They aren't pieces of fruit that will ripen in time.

The remaining 4 qbs in the playoffs, Brady, Brees, Goff, and Mahomes - most would agree are elite ( 2 first ballot HOFers, and 2 young studs that look like future HOFers). Of them, Brady was a 6th rounder, and most would agree was a once in a generation fluke. Brees was taken #32, and the youngsters were both taken in the top ten of the first round. While it's always a crap shoot, your odds increase exponentially of finding an elite qb by drafting them high. Later round picks at other positions have a much higher chance of success than at qb (think OL, RB, TE, etc) and are a better use of those picks.

Back
Top Bottom