Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win

no i cant, they can pick whoever they want. Ds tho should pick one every year. we never draft qb in the first few rounds. last one we drafted was a wide receiver. you want us to draft a safety or another lb?

'andrew luck'

Andrew Luck has what to do with your philosophy’s success? So far, you have no evidence your philosophy has any historical success, and you are unwilling to address legitimate concerns with it. I am starting to believe you want this philosophy implemented for the next two years just so Tannehill will be removed from the team and you think we can get Tua.

Let’s suspend the overall ridiculousness of it all for a minute though, and assume you have somehow caught lightening in a bottle with your draft a QB every year philosophy. Let’s ground it in reality, though. Last year, we may have had a chance to move up one spot for Rosen, and Jackson was available without a trade. If we drafted either one of them, who are you looking to replace them with this year in the draft? Just anyone, or do you have a player in mind? Now, knowing that we will have a mid round pick, how much are you willing to trade for the newest QB savior? Next year, if he doesn’t look like Mahomes, who do you target next, and how much are you willing to trade away for that player. Wash, rinse and repeat every year until you find the magic QB that is great his rookie season. I hope you can at least try to answer these questions.

I think this is actually a reasonable philosophy for this year. Say we Draft Drew Lock at 13 this year and we end up sucking and get the number 1 pick I’m taking Tua next year and letting them battle it out. My ideal scenario is pick best defensive player available at 13. Scoop up Will Grier in round 2 let him start this year and next year draft a top QB like Tua or Fromm. Then we have 2 young guys for the next 4 years and see what they can do.

On one hand we have so many needs that it’s stupid, but on the other hand we’re not going anywhere until we get the QB spot right and not just right a home run QB prospect

Just re-read the title of this thread....

We're supposed to draft a QB every year (multiple)....play him (singular) and win (who, the new rookie every year?)? huh?

We used to draft a QB nearly every year. Back before we had qb problems.

Sure, there were late round picks (real late as the old drafts lasted a lot more than 7 rounds), but still, you need to keep bringing in prospects.

Just re-read the title of this thread....

We're supposed to draft a QB every year (multiple)....play him (singular) and win (who, the new rookie every year?)? huh?

I left out a “Win”, meant to say “WIN-WIN”, see original post.

I think this is actually a reasonable philosophy for this year. Say we Draft Drew Lock at 13 this year and we end up sucking and get the number 1 pick I’m taking Tua next year and letting them battle it out. My ideal scenario is pick best defensive player available at 13. Scoop up Will Grier in round 2 let him start this year and next year draft a top QB like Tua or Fromm. Then we have 2 young guys for the next 4 years and see what they can do.

The error in logic is the assumption that missing at the QB position means we will have a poor enough record to be in the position to actually draft the top QB prospect the following year. There is no guarantee that drafting a Lock type QB this year gets you anywhere near Tua the next year.

There is no orchestrated “tank” job happening here. Anyone who believes there is really didn’t hear what Ross actually said. He is willing to build and go young over a win now philosophy, but when asked about three win type records he said hopefully not. There is a big difference between tanking and simple rebuilding.

We used to draft a QB nearly every year. Back before we had qb problems.

Sure, there were late round picks (real late as the old drafts lasted a lot more than 7 rounds), but still, you need to keep bringing in prospects.

Late round QB picks are one thing. The lower the pick, the less likely the will even make the team, regardless of position. If you happen to find someone there, awesome, but it is hardly the way a franchise QB is found. This thread is about picking a franchise QB simply by drafting a top prospect every year. This is about blowing a first round pick (and maybe even trading up as well) to grab a highly ranked QB, starting him year one, and if he doesn’t deliver an epic first season full of wins, replacing that QB the following year by doing whatever it takes to move up in the first round to get the latest top ranked guy. We are giving each QB one season to prove themselves as a rookie and moving on right away if they aren’t the next Mahomes or Marino. Ironically, this technique will leave the rest of the roster so talent starved that even if we find the magic QB, the rest of the team will be so awful we won’t be able to win until several years after we pick him.

When your scouts sell you on guys like Beck and Pat White it's hard to look good. A shake up is needed in our scouting system. We can't draft or develop o-line to save our lives. That can't continue if you want to build a winner. I can't believe with all of Ross's money we can't get the best and finest scouts on the Dolphins.

Late round QB picks are one thing. The lower the pick, the less likely the will even make the team, regardless of position. If you happen to find someone there, awesome, but it is hardly the way a franchise QB is found. This thread is about picking a franchise QB simply by drafting a top prospect every year. This is about blowing a first round pick (and maybe even trading up as well) to grab a highly ranked QB, starting him year one, and if he doesn’t deliver an epic first season full of wins, replacing that QB the following year by doing whatever it takes to move up in the first round to get the latest top ranked guy. We are giving each QB one season to prove themselves as a rookie and moving on right away if they aren’t the next Mahomes or Marino. Ironically, this technique will leave the rest of the roster so talent starved that even if we find the magic QB, the rest of the team will be so awful we won’t be able to win until several years after we pick him.

The OP said "not saying round 1, but somewhere", I'm not sure why you guys want to turn this into a first round QB every year thread.

We drafted QBs nearly every year in the past, whether we had Bob Griese or Dan Marino. When we stopped drafting QBs the problems arose.

It needs to be done more NOW than in the past, as the QB position has taken on even larger significance in today's NFL.

The OP said "not saying round 1, but somewhere", I'm not sure why you guys want to turn this into a first round QB every year thread.

We drafted QBs nearly every year in the past, whether we had Bob Griese or Dan Marino. When we stopped drafting QBs the problems arose.

It needs to be done more NOW than in the past, as the QB position has taken on even larger significance in today's NFL.

The concept is to keep drafting QB’s every year until we find the epic QB, correct? If so, do you really believe that drafting QB’s in later rounds are going to get us there? Late round QB’s are fine once you have your franchise QB, but we don’t. This is going to require first round picks. Every year.

The concept is to keep drafting QB’s every year until we find the epic QB, correct? If so, do you really believe that drafting QB’s in later rounds are going to get us there? Late round QB’s are fine once you have your franchise QB, but we don’t. This is going to require first round picks. Every year.

I think this is where we differ.

The idea is to continuously bring in and develop young QB talent, even after we find an elite QB. You have to keep stocking the farm. Some might pan out, some might be upgrades at back up QB, some might become trade fodder, or some might just straight up flop.

The thing is, you need to maintain your farm if you expect to prevent falling into the same situation we have been in for the last 20 years.

If we hit on an all-pro QB, you still have issues if he gets injured. We need depth at the position to avoid complete disaster when we lose our guy.

Obviously, we will need at least one first round talent in here soon, but once we get him, you cant stop bringing in new guys. Dont put all your eggs in one basket.

I have mentioned this on other thread as have others, we need to take a stab at a QB every single year in the draft until we get the right guy. Given that we are in a "rebuild" for the foresable future, this to me is the best strategy.

Frist things first, we need to move on form TH. Cap hit bedamned. Just move on one way or another, trade or cut.

Next, the strategy is simple. Draft a QB every single year (not saying round 1, but somewhere) and throw them in the fire. The outcomes would go like this basically:

1. We found our guy and well...**** YA!
2. He sucks and we end up with a top 7 pick the following year. Thats how you technically "tank", you have a POS QB in there. Draft a top guy if it makes sense, put the two in competeiton with eachother in camp and see who wins that batterl and rinse and repeat.

WIN-WIN.

Worst case we end up with 2 competant QBs and the franchsie can actually move forward with builidn the rest of the roster.

The NFL has gotten to a point where its no longer a Coach-QB league (see Bears). Its now a QB-Coach league. You cannot spend enough resources in finding a franchise QB.

None of the other crap we do matters whatsoever unless we have the franchsie guy. I dont care what other postions we upgrade, beacuse without our franchsie QB its all a moot point. Make it happen Grier.

Whose with me!?
Cleveland sorta tried that.

2018 - Baker Mayfield (1)
2017 - DeShone Kizer (2)
2016 - Cody Kessler (3)
2015 - NO QB DRAFTED
2014 - Johnny Manziel (1)
2013 - NO QB DRAFTED
2012 - Brandon Weeden (1)
2011 - NO QB DRAFTED
2010 - Colt McCoy (3)
2009 - NO QB DRAFTED
2008 - NO QB DRAFTED
2007 - Brady Quinn (1)
2006 - NO QB DRAFTED
2005 - Charlie Frye (3)
2004 - Luke McCown (4)

9 Quarterbacks drafted in the last 15 years ... 4 1st rounders, 1 2nd rounder, 3 3rd rounders, 1 4th rounder

I don't wanna be Cleveland. I'm not in favor of picking a QB, just to pick a QB. You target the right guy, then move on to the rest of the team. If you take a QB every year, that's a position you're neglecting every year.

Bottom line: Find better evaluators!

Um, that's kind of a dumb argument.

How many of those drafted QB's when we had Griese and Marino actually contributed to us not having a QB problem? I'd say that those were wasted picks.

Um, that's kind of a dumb argument.

How many of those drafted QB's when we had Griese and Marino actually contributed to us not having a QB problem? I'd say that those were wasted picks.

Tough to say. I had a list last year.

Woodstrock comes to mind, but we also drafted theisman, who ****ed us.

I'm on the road, so can't look up all the stuff atm.

Back
Top Bottom