Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft A Qb Every Single Year, Start Him Year 1 And Win

every year you draft one but if they suck dont keep them around for a decade.
also QBS as in quarterbacks not QBS as in glorified running backs or wide receivers. no more developmental experiments.

I have mentioned how flawed this strategy is before, so instead of doing that, I will simply recap this philosophy as it relates to how the playoffs worked this year.

In this philosophy, the most valuable pick every year goes to a single position without understanding how last year’s most valuable pick going to the same position has actually worked out. Also, it means that every other position on the team is robbed from the best possible player at that position by virtue of the top pick being redundantly spent elsewhere. The underlying belief being that only the QB really matters, every other position is dramatically less important.

So, how did that play out this year in the playoffs?

Prospective HOF QB’s in the playoffs: Brady, Brees, Rivers

1. Brees is out. Reason? No defense
2. Rivers is out. Reason? Bad game plan and coaching
3. Brady is in. Reason? Excellent game plan and coaching

Other great QB’s not in the Super Bowl:

1. Mahomes. Excellent QB, possibly better than all the others on the list. Out because of no defense and scared coaching in the clutch.
2. Russel Wilson. Not enough talent around him.

Lastly, there is Goff. Far from a great QB, but in due to excellent coaching and great surrounding talent.

What does it mean? Having a great coaching staff and talent acquisition team is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for any team, not the QB! The entire team must be good to make it all the way to the SB, or the coaching must be able to hide deficiencies and amplify strengths. Without the right coaching and game plan, lots of HOF QB’s miss the playoffs or exit before the big game.

Spending a first rounder every year on QB is just a way of saying you don’t know how to evaluate QB’s to draft one and are perfectly fine with a mediocre team around them. It’s a failing strategy. Get the right coach and staff, and the players and wins will come.

If... we had practiced that philosophy 17 years ago Drew Brees would have been leading the Dolphins... not the saints.
If you would have used that strategy with Brees, you'd have dismissed him after 2 season after he threw for 28TDs and 31 INTs, you know, have to give a shot to one of the 2 QBs you drafted after him...

I have mentioned how flawed this strategy is before, so instead of doing that, I will simply recap this philosophy as it relates to how the playoffs worked this year.

In this philosophy, the most valuable pick every year goes to a single position without understanding how last year’s most valuable pick going to the same position has actually worked out. Also, it means that every other position on the team is robbed from the best possible player at that position by virtue of the top pick being redundantly spent elsewhere. The underlying belief being that only the QB really matters, every other position is dramatically less important.

So, how did that play out this year in the playoffs?

Prospective HOF QB’s in the playoffs: Brady, Brees, Rivers

1. Brees is out. Reason? No defense
2. Rivers is out. Reason? Bad game plan and coaching
3. Brady is in. Reason? Excellent game plan and coaching

Other great QB’s not in the Super Bowl:

1. Mahomes. Excellent QB, possibly better than all the others on the list. Out because of no defense and scared coaching in the clutch.
2. Russel Wilson. Not enough talent around him.

Lastly, there is Goff. Far from a great QB, but in due to excellent coaching and great surrounding talent.

What does it mean? Having a great coaching staff and talent acquisition team is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for any team, not the QB! The entire team must be good to make it all the way to the SB, or the coaching must be able to hide deficiencies and amplify strengths. Without the right coaching and game plan, lots of HOF QB’s miss the playoffs or exit before the big game.

Spending a first rounder every year on QB is just a way of saying you don’t know how to evaluate QB’s to draft one and are perfectly fine with a mediocre team around them. It’s a failing strategy. Get the right coach and staff, and the players and wins will come.

Dolphins need to draft a qb every season NOT all teams. we havent had a decent one here for 20 years.

I believe this theory/story originated with Bill Walsh.

Here are the QB's that Bill Walsh drafted during his tenure in SF...

3 26 82 Joe Montana QB Notre Dame
9 16 237 Dan Hartwig QB California-Lutheran
12 18 322 Joe Adams QB Tennessee State
9 28 251 Bryan Clark QB Michigan State
6 28 168 Scott Barry QB California-Davis
10 24 275 John Paye QB Stanford

Joe Montana was his first and highest QB pick in 1979. The rest (except for one) are the equivalent of what would be today, undrafted college free agents. His last QB was drafted in 1987. He drafted 6 QB's in 10 years. However, he did trade two draft choices (2nd and 4th) for Steve Young in 1987. He retired in 1988.

The 49ers (under different leadership) didn't draft another QB until the 8th round in 1993...

8 23 219 Elvis Grbac QB Michigan

The next would be in 1997....

1 26 26 Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech

Not my normal ideal view of how to use the draft but with our teams already shacky foundation, a possible major retooling and the opinion of Murray being so special and doesn't come around often quality, while still understanding even he is a big time crap shot think why ruin a draft pick every year for years for a QB.
Use whatever is necessary in only this years draft to almost guarantee the Murray pick... Ya may screw up this years draft big time but if we get our QB of the future we can start to build around the critical center piece to building our teams future...And its looking IMO somewhere in the area of 1- 4...

Personally though very unusual strategy, I would love to see them have the fortitude to make such a huge step because I'm so bored with the same old thinking that we can have success with a common approach, and we probably aren't going to be going out spending big $$$ on anyone either (which is fine we're building I hope) ...
Get QB now and don't need to tank next for year and build around our guy with an extra years help...

So true but you also need a good carpenter for that foundation to be built..

Dolphins need to draft a qb every season NOT all teams. we havent had a decent one here for 20 years.
You missed the point. Teams that ALREADY HAVE their franchise QB locked up still need other players drafted highly. Can you point to any of the above team’s spending a high pick on a qb every year prior to having found their franchise QB?, or did they spend those picks on other BPA or position of need players until their targeted QB was available?

Honestly, what good is it to have your franchise QB, but then have to spend another three drafts trying to get enough talent back for your QB to start being relevant?

dolphins main problem is at QB, once u fix that everything else will follow in place. I don't care how they fix it but need be done. it sad because we have had 5 coach in past and none draft top qb. the draft guy on dolphins is not that good.

I'm with ya due, it's been my stated preference too. That's why I don't get this let's stick with Tannehill for one more year because of the cap hit or let's bring in Foles or Bridgewater and concentrate on building up the lines. What's that going to get you ? The same damn middle of the road team we've had forever.

It makes all the sense in the world to put the building blocks in place before you draft your franchise QB, but the way the draft works, you really have to do it in the opposite direction. Strengthening the rest of your squad just gets you that one or two more wins so instead of the 7-9 team we are we are back to 8-8 or 9-7. That's not going to get you too many post season appearances and it's not going to put you in a position to draft that difference make at the most important position.

You missed the point. Teams that ALREADY HAVE their franchise QB locked up still need other players drafted highly. Can you point to any of the above team’s spending a high pick on a qb every year prior to having found their franchise QB?, or did they spend those picks on other BPA or position of need players until their targeted QB was available?

Honestly, what good is it to have your franchise QB, but then have to spend another three drafts trying to get enough talent back for your QB to start being relevant?

no i cant, they can pick whoever they want. Ds tho should pick one every year. we never draft qb in the first few rounds. last one we drafted was a wide receiver. you want us to draft a safety or another lb?

'andrew luck'

I don't see it with Bridgewater. The guy has shown very little IMO and has thrown 25 passes in three years.

1st two years in the league....

Teddy
28 td / 21 int, 6150 yards

Tannehill
36 td / 30 int, 7207 yards

Foles had one great full season and then flopped for two teams. The came in off the bench (on a very good team) and did well in that system. Can he duplicate it under another coach in another system?

I think Foles or Bridewater would be a waste of money. Foles is the best backup in the league but as a starter, he has flopped. Both may get too much money in FA.

Why cut Tannehill and still have to pay him 13M and then turn around and spend $20+M on Foles or $12+M on Teddy? We would have $33M or 25$ invested in a short term QB? I think they either keep Tannehill (unlikely) or grab a cheap FA vet like Tyrod or Fitzpatrick.

because hes a choker and sucks
pay him to play for the jets

Back
Top Bottom