Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score

The Miami Dolphins will have plenty of options with their second first-round pick.​

In April, the Miami Dolphins will be on the clock at pick 18 provided it isn’t traded and there are a lot of quality options for them to choose from.

What the Dolphins do with their first pick in the draft, number three overall, will likely determine the direction they choose to go with their second pick. If the Dolphins draft defense at the top of the draft, we can assume that this selection will be an offensive player but Miami very well could double up on offensive players in round one.

If one of the 4 best receivers: Pitts, Waddle, Chase or Smith, fall to 18 you have to take them no matter what you did at 1a. Having 2 of these 4 would instantly change our O. Outside of that, it's not a great spot to pick in, you are reaching a little for most prospects, someone will slip though and that may open the door to the opportunity to pick a better player than should be there at that point or trade with a team anxious to get that olineman or cornerback or whatever.

If one of the 4 best receivers: Pitts, Waddle, Chase or Smith, fall to 18 you have to take them no matter what you did at 1a. Having 2 of these 4 would instantly change our O. Outside of that, it's not a great spot to pick in, you are reaching a little for most prospects, someone will slip though and that may open the door to the opportunity to pick a better player than should be there at that point or trade with a team anxious to get that olineman or cornerback or whatever.
Fully agreed.

If you get the opportunity to double up, do it

Collins fits well at 18, as does the top rb, Harris or ETN. JOK-ND also. If someone falls - Waddle, Pitts, Paye, Parsons (?), Rosseau, Then it seems you gotta do it, but GM's and coaches often stick to their plans rather than play the board.

I agree except for the part about #18 being a spot you are reaching. At #18 you are still drafting players you expect to potentially start and have an impact very early

The 2 LBs Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Zaven Collins. I’m assuming we’ll go offense with our first pick. If we do I’m heavily considering these 2 at 18 as I think at least 1 will be there. Impact players from day 1 in the middle of our defense.

Depends on what we did at 3. If we took a WR then I could see a LB'er, if a Parsons was picked or Sewell then WR has to be the pick. Maybe move back a little add a Harris or Etienne and get an extra pick.

If one of our top 10 prospects starts to slide into the teens unexpectedly, trade up from 18 and grab him!
Love it. As much as I like the idea of trading back a few spots from #3 to add picks Im just as intrigued by the idea of moving up from #18 assuming, as you said, someone we covet has slid which isn't exactly unprecedented.

Really depends what Miami does at #3.

I'll add a few players that I haven't seen mentioned. Jones, the DE from Pitt, will go much higher than mocks. Leatherwood or Humphrey if the Dolphins want to solidify the offensive line early. Marshall, Bateman at wr.

I go back and forth between Collins and JOK-ND for us, if we want a LB at 18. Bolton, Moses, or Suratt in the 2nd may be a better value, also.

Collins's size might make him more of Flores's type, although I think the "Patriot way" stuff is overblown. I'm sure Boyer can find a way to use JOK's speed. He's about Darius Leonard size, give or take.

Love it. As much as I like the idea of trading back a few spots from #3 to add picks Im just as intrigued by the idea of moving up from #18 assuming, as you said, someone we covet has slid which isn't exactly unprecedented.
someone always slides unexpectedly!

doesn't mean it's going to happen, and it doesn't mean it's one of our top targets, but it can happen! lol

I agree except for the part about #18 being a spot you are reaching. At #18 you are still drafting players you expect to potentially start and have an impact very early
At 18 this year, from our perspective and needs it's a bit of a void tbh, we really need WR and RB, you can make a case for a LB or an edge or another Olineman but they are not you biggest holes to fill. If one of those big 3 WRs have dropped or somehow Pitts falls, you run that card up.
For LB, Parsons will almost certainly be gone, the next best is Collins, who offers value here, but do we really need to use a first on this position when there are plenty of other options like Bolton and Moses who may not be much of a drop off from him ?
Edge would be a luxury pick also and this is not a very top heavy class, there's not Bosa or Young this year, you can probably drop a few places and still pick up a Rosseau or Ossai (whom I really like as a fit for us btw).
Sewell is a legit option for us at 3 because he is so special, but we invested heavily in the line last year, with 3 rookies starting and you need to maintain a vet mix too, so I expect the like of Davis, Flowers and probably Karras to still be around the team, I'm not sure I see any value in us picking a Slater or Darrisaw or Leatherwood there (if they are still there, as OT always gets overdrafted) unless you want them to play center and it's a little too early for the centers like Humphrey and Dickerson and guards like Wyatt Davis.
So that leaves RB, I'm not afraid of using 18 on Najee Harris, I wouldn't personally do that with Etienne, but even for Harris 18 is too early, ideally you want to trade back. Then there is Javonte Williams, who may well be the best fit for us, and we can put of the RB till the second round where he should still be available.

TL;DR - !8 is a tricky spot to draft in for the fins this year, we'll either be over drafting someone, or taking a player that doesn't necessary fit our major needs. A trade down here may be the best way to go unless one of those receivers or Parsons is on the board.

Back
Top Bottom