Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins

For me at 18, I'd be looking at Najee, Ossai (EDGE from Texas), Collins (LB from Tulsa), if one of the top OL fall, or a guy like Bateman if receiver isn't taken with the first pick.

I'd have to imagine that Miami would be happy with Smith, Chase, or Waddle if any of the 3 were there in the scenario of a trade back.

The question becomes how do you address receiver in FA.

If you go after Allen Robinson, I can't imagine a WR will be on the table high in round 1.

Or if you do plan to get one of the top 3 receivers, you would get a player like Curtis Samuel who has the speed and YAC that could be a fit for the slot in the new offense.

Really depends what Miami does at #3.

I'll add a few players that I haven't seen mentioned. Jones, the DE from Pitt, will go much higher than mocks. Leatherwood or Humphrey if the Dolphins want to solidify the offensive line early. Marshall, Bateman at wr.
Agreed on Patrick Jones. I think he has a chance to be a day 1 pick, and a damn good edge

For me at 18, I'd be looking at Najee, Ossai (EDGE from Texas), Collins (LB from Tulsa), if one of the top OL fall, or a guy like Bateman if receiver isn't taken with the first pick.

I'd have to imagine that Miami would be happy with Smith, Chase, or Waddle if any of the 3 were there in the scenario of a trade back.

The question becomes how do you address receiver in FA.

If you go after Allen Robinson, I can't imagine a WR will be on the table high in round 1.

Or if you do plan to get one of the top 3 receivers, you would get a player like Curtis Samuel who has the speed and YAC that could be a fit for the slot in the new offense.
I really don't see us signing a FA WR this year... With Wilson and Hurns coming back, we already have a better room than at any time last year... Obviously, I've been wrong before, but in a low money year, I don't think we'll be ready to dish out a 10-12 million per year WR contract.

Now... I guess if we trade these guys off before the draft, I'll eat these words.

If one of the 4 best receivers: Pitts, Waddle, Chase or Smith, fall to 18 you have to take them no matter what you did at 1a. Having 2 of these 4 would instantly change our O. Outside of that, it's not a great spot to pick in, you are reaching a little for most prospects, someone will slip though and that may open the door to the opportunity to pick a better player than should be there at that point or trade with a team anxious to get that olineman or cornerback or whatever.

Imo Terrace Marshall and Elijah Moore are also worth a Top 20 pick (could change my mind of course), but you can probably get both at 2a or maybe even 2b - though, Moore has been mocked as early as 20 by guys who talk to NFL scouts.

Outside of that, it's OL, or you have to look at trying to trade down or look at someone like Zaven Collins or Trevon Moehrig. I'd prefer to spend the early picks on offense.

@NBP81 will back me on this, but, in general, you want to spend your early picks on expensive positions. I'm not advocating for passing on Patrick Willis for Tedd Ginn. If there's a huge gap, you take the better player, but the gap really does have to be significant to make drafting LB, IOL, RB, and even S ahead of WR, OT, Edge, and CB worth it.

You can make the case that a big, versatile LB has unique value to Flores' D, and I think you'd be right, so you do have to adjust for scheme fit somewhat, but when certain positions have particular value for your team and aren't as expensive league-wide, you're probably better off hoping they fall (because they're not as valuable to other teams) or signing them as FA's when possible.

Said it a while ago, but my three favorite defensive players for Miami are the aforementioned Collins and Moehrig but also Elijah Molden, who I see as a much better version of Bobby McCain (in terms of where he'd play).

If Miami is dead set on getting a running back early, I would use the 18th pick to trade down as far as possible and maybe take the running back with that late first round pick. I generally hate the idea of taking a running back in the first round but if you can add value by adding additional picks from trading back from 18, then I might consider it.

I really don't see us signing a FA WR this year... With Wilson and Hurns coming back, we already have a better room than at any time last year... Obviously, I've been wrong before, but in a low money year, I don't think we'll be ready to dish out a 10-12 million per year WR contract.

Now... I guess if we trade these guys off before the draft, I'll eat these words.
Wilson and, especially, Hurns should have absolutely no influence on Miami upgrading the wide receiver position by any means possible. There is actually not one, even including Gesicki, player that would keep me from trying to upgrade the skill position players. If Pitts is available with Miami's second first round pick, I would run the card up there.

Last edited:
Smith or Chase at 3. Beyond WR, we will have a need to fill at LB, Pass rush, OL, RB, and possibly safety. You also can’t rule out the adding yet another WR. At 18, I’m taking the best player on the board that fills one of those needs

I'm ready to go all in on offense. I'll keep DVP and Williams for now but I'm not sure I see them on the team in the future. No trades, even though I hope we do, because that complicates matters

So, Smith/Chase at 1A. Bateman, Waddle at 1B. Freiermuth, Harris at 2A. 2B looks to have best value on defense so Basham, Jones, or Tryon. Hard to guess who might be there in the 3rd. Maybe OC Dickerson, Hill, or Meyers. Make it Williams/Hubbard if we haven't drafted a back yet and grab whichever OC is there in the 4th. Yup, I think I like TE at 2A, RB in the 3rd, and OC in the 4th better.

I'll get my LB'er off the FA list.

@NBP81 will back me on this, but, in general, you want to spend your early picks on expensive positions. I'm not advocating for passing on Patrick Willis for Tedd Ginn. If there's a huge gap, you take the better player, but the gap really does have to be significant to make drafting LB, IOL, RB, and even S ahead of WR, OT, Edge, and CB worth it.
Agree with this, the taking of 1st round picks isn't just for need, BPA, but also with consideration for the 2nd contract and whether you would be happy to pay them big money if they perform great. This is the one reason why I wonder is Sewell really worth it, would we be willing to spend good money to extend both Jackson and Sewell in the future?
The one I probably don't agree on is WR, because of the relatively poor success rate of highly picked WR. Add that together and I guess I don't want T or WR at 3, even though I want it to be an offense heavy draft. Ideal for me is trading down and then loading up on offensive talent, after that I guess if I follow my own advice we should pick Parsons if we have to stay at 3. Must be honest I'm flip flopping all over the place these days on what is the best thing to do.

i'm not sure the outlook at 18 changes all that much whether we take a WR at 3 or not.

barring a fall down the board by one of the top three WRs, the value doesn't project to be there at 18. it should pick up again as of round 2 IMO

Our offense need be better if we expect compete for Championships in nfl..we need go offensive first 3 to 4 pick.If they planning on keeping Tua.our defense good enough for nfl..

Back
Top Bottom