Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft prospects worth the 18th overall pick for the Miami Dolphins

Patrick Jones is a guy who I'd consider at #18 but, would pound the table for at 2A. He brings a versatile skill set. He's played both RDE and LDE in a 4/3. Has played both OLB spots and has also rushed from a standup MLB. I've seen him drop into coverage from that MLB spot on occasion as well. The only question I have about him, is he capable of playing a 3/4 DE in Flores scheme. I'm praying Miami's coaches are coaching the team Jones is assigned to, at the senior bowl. I love this kid. Think he's a truly underrated player, who's seriously being over looked.
I really like him... but I have a philosophical question about players like this...

Do you run up and grab him, or do you take a risk and let him slide down to where you believe others value him?

I tend to be the guy who risks losing a few in order to always get best value, but I do see that doing it the other way may make sense if you really love the guy. Honestly, I liked Robert Hunt last year, but I think we reached a bit on him.

I really like him... but I have a philosophical question about players like this...

Do you run up and grab him, or do you take a risk and let him slide down to where you believe others value him?

I tend to be the guy who risks losing a few in order to always get best value, but I do see that doing it the other way may make sense if you really love the guy. Honestly, I liked Robert Hunt last year, but I think we reached a bit on him.
That question will Eventually be answered on draft day. For the moment, taking Jones at #18, could be viewed as a reach. But if he test well at senior bowl practices and plays well; then test, well at the combine, as well as in, private workouts; teams may start to view him as a solid pick in the mid to late 1st round. He seems to be a more versatile player than both Van Noy and Van Ginkle.

I go back and forth between Collins and JOK-ND for us, if we want a LB at 18. Bolton, Moses, or Suratt in the 2nd may be a better value, also.

Collins's size might make him more of Flores's type, although I think the "Patriot way" stuff is overblown. I'm sure Boyer can find a way to use JOK's speed. He's about Darius Leonard size, give or take.
Need a Lb and surprised at how poorly Moses played this year. He is horrible in coverage and gets killed by backs out of the backfield.

one thing I would like to see is taking Pitts after a trade down from 3. At 6’6 he runs and catches like a WR, and the mismatches year would create against LB’s and safeties would make him a huge weapon. Plus with safeties having to help out our WR’s would see man to man coverage and exploit it.

Need a Lb and surprised at how poorly Moses played this year. He is horrible in coverage and gets killed by backs out of the backfield.

one thing I would like to see is taking Pitts after a trade down from 3. At 6’6 he runs and catches like a WR, and the mismatches year would create against LB’s and safeties would make him a huge weapon. Plus with safeties having to help out our WR’s would see man to man coverage and exploit it.
A smarter man than I am described Moses as the second coming of

Raekwon McMillan​

Moses took one for the team this year..he played hurt all year..but he was making the D calls for all the youngn's on defense...so he had to be out there.
If he falls to the fourth and another year to get his knee right..He could be a steal.

Regarding N Harris: I dont see Derrick Henry here. I see a guy caught from behind by DBs. When Henry breaks into the clear, it's a TD. I dont see that with Harris.
But, his 40 time will show that as well and maybe Ill stand corrected.
He doesn’t have to be Henry to be a great player and I have not seen this getting caught from behind stuff. He’s so well rounded and has high character. He would be an amazing piece to the offence in all facets.

I stated my issues with Najee Harris before... but I will again.

Most teams don't even consider giving a RB a second contract, and since Harris is THE OLDEST RB in this years draft, it is even less likely that we'd do this.

So why would be use a #1 pick on a guy we'll only have for 4-5 years? That just isn't good draft management. I mean, I get why a lot of you like him... but his cost vs. the amount of time that he'd be with us is a LOUSY return on investment... I mean... isn't it?

Even a #2 seems high for a guy whose tenure with us would be short... but OK... maybe a #2. I wouldn't do it, but I get the appeal. It just seems awfully spendy (love this word).

IMO there is almost a zero percent chance we go RB with 18th pick. What is the drop off between taking Harris 18th and Javonte Williams 50th? Even if we have to take Williams 36th, which I think would be unlikely, I’d much rather do that than draft a 1st round RB.

Wilson and, especially, Hurns should have absolutely no influence on Miami upgrading the wide receiver position by any means possible. There is actually not one, even including Gesicki, player that would keep me from trying to upgrade the skill position players. If Pitts is available with Miami's second first round pick, I would run the card up there.
No way it happens but Pitts at 1B would be phenomenal.

It's a great question. To some degree I think it depends on supply and demand. How many edge guys do you like? If someone takes Jones before 2a, who are the options after him?

That question will Eventually be answered on draft day. For the moment, taking Jones at #18, could be viewed as a reach. But if he test well at senior bowl practices and plays well; then test, well at the combine, as well as in, private workouts; teams may start to view him as a solid pick in the mid to late 1st round. He seems to be a more versatile player than both Van Noy and Van Ginkle.
Right now, Jones seems criminally underrated. At least in terms of mock drafts. Jones and Collins are two that I'd consider at #18.

Pitts is one of the most intriguing players in this draft. He is a matchup nightmare.

Lol. That’s been might thought too. Part of that thought is I’m scared Buffalo nabs him at the end of round one if we don’t.
If you're talking need, Smith and Harris is hard to beat.

Harris would be a perfect complement to Gaskin and Ahmed. That is high for a running back, but I wouldn't be disappointed to end up with those two.

At 2a, Williams is another running back I like if Miami misses on Harris.

You can't really worry about what other teams do.

Back
Top Bottom