Draft Rumors Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors Thread

NFL_DRAFT_Bites (@NFLDraftBites) tweeted at 6:06 PM on Fri, Apr 15, 2016:
"Ronnie Stanley isn't on our Board. Soft, he's been so well coached wonder why. Really, we refuse to work w/ Jay Z. Prefer professionals"

Never understood why these guys sign with celebrity agents. Jay z has a boxing company too that is doing horrible. Sports agency world is a club, and Jay z ain't part of it.

That is interesting, sound like someone is taking something personally. Not sure how you take Stanley completely off your board.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...pects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

Tons of good quotes in here, this was probably the only media guy who got our Juwan James pick correct.

5. CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, Penn State (6-4 ½, 222, 4.81, 2-3): Passer ratings were 89.0 as a freshman under coach Bill O'Brien and, under coach James Franklin, 74.2 in '14 and 83.9 in '15. "After his freshman year people looked at him as the first pick in the draft," said one scout. "A premier-type talent like that is so hard to find. He could be as talented as any of these quarterbacks. He's got the arm, the body. He's actually a competitor. But when you look at his career you say, 'Where's the production?'" Third-year junior started all 38 games (21-17). "People can make every excuse in the book for him but he just hasn't done it," another scout said. "He was a Bill O'Brien guy and he had some issues with Franklin. He hangs out more with managers than he does teammates. It tells me he likes to be king of the little people rather than king of the big people." Tendency to hold the ball led partly to 104 career sacks. "He doesn't have a clock in his head," said a third scout. "I understand they had a poor offensive line but that's too many sacks. Throw the ball away. Do something. He has talent but he scares the hell out of me." From Palmyra, Va. Wonderlic of 24. Hands were just 9 inches.

6. DAK PRESCOTT, Mississippi State (6-2, 227, 4.78, 2-3): Billed by the Bulldogs as the most decorated player in their history. "This was not a good team but for two years they competed against the best teams," one scout said. "He was the entire team there. The guy's just a winner. He's got patience, focus, makes quick decisions, good arm strength, nice touch, stands tall in the pocket under pressure." Posted 23-10 record and had a passer rating of 99.6. Also rushed for 2,501 yards and 41 TDs. "He motivated that team, held guys accountable," another scout said. "I just don't see the vision downfield. He's a very streaky thrower. There will be a place for him in the league. I'd take him over Tim Tebow hands down." Arrested for a DUI in mid-March. Wonderlic of 25. "He's got no accuracy, got no vision," said a third scout. "I don't think he's an NFL quarterback." From Haughton, La.

10. CARDALE JONES, Ohio State (6-5, 250, 4.80, 4-5): Non-qualifier out of Cleveland Glenville High under coach Ted Ginn Sr., redshirted in 2012 and was third string in 2013-'14 until injuries struck. Played spectacularly in three-game stint culminated by a national title. Started eight of the first nine games in '15 before being benched for J.T. Barrett, then declared a year early. "You can't pass a talent like that," said one scout. "If you're going to bet on one, bet on a guy with all the talent if he shows you enough want-to." Passer rating of 97.2, rushed for 617 yards. "Kind of reminds me of a poor man's JaMarcus Russell," said another scout. "At least JaMarcus had some touch. This guy just throws the ball. His mechanics are all over the place." Added a third scout: "Strong arm. Big, big body. Not the brightest cookie in the world. I worry about him when he gets money in his pocket. I just don't know if it's all there mentally." Wonderlic of 25.

I posted a few QBs that have been talked about here, for the rest of them hit the link.

That's some interesting stuff in the jsonline link.

Cardale Jones had touch late in 2014. I don't think that's his weakest trait. Obviously that's a wild card pick who can frustrate you one play and dagger the opponent on the next. He still reminds me of James Harris of the Rams in the '70s.

I finally watched the Senior Bowl tape a few days ago. Wentz isn't quite as ready as my impression from highlight clips. He doesn't always make quick and ideal movement within the pocket. But there's no way that game should include 4 quarterbacks per team. One quarter simply isn't enough, especially for a lower division prospect like that.

I forgot about Dadi Nicolas. He's another guy whose stock dropped in 2015 due to injury. But he has special pass rushing ability in a smaller frame. In early 2014 Ohio State fans were whining that their offensive line was incompetent. No, Dadi Nicolas made those linemen look much worse than they actually were.

I agree with a post above that Tyler Ervin has an effective skill set, albeit a very tiny frame. I remember betting against San Jose State in a first half wager and that idiot ruined it for me with a couple of big plays.

Back to the quarterbacks, Paxton Lynch was maybe the most simpleminded guy who has ever appeared on Gruden's Quarterback Camp show. Particularly early in the program he offered nothing of interest and everything was pure cliche. Then he loosened up a bit but there was nothing of depth. He seemed like a nice simple guy. I'd be somewhat concerned how it translates to the complexities of the next level, and being a leader.

As I've mentioned, Lynch is like a coiffeur, a French barber. I'd be very skeptical of any scouting report that didn't lead off with that summary

images-1.jpg

images.jpg

The Dolphins have spent quite a bit of time through this draft process with Mississippi defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche, a highly talented player with issues swirling around him, including a marijuana arrest after he fell out of a window last December in Atlanta. We're not sure if he's on Miami's draft board, or how high, but the Dolphins have certainly done their due diligence on a player who had seven tackles for loss and three sacks last season....

Among other defensive tackles, the Dolphins also have shown interest in Maryland's Quinton Jefferson; he had a private workout for Miami and met with defensive coordinator Vance Joseph.

• A few others names the Dolphins have shown interest in: Arizona guard/tackle Lene Maiava (late-round pick or UFA), BYU defensive end Bronson Kaufusi (Dolphins sent a coach to see him; potential second-day pick) and Ohio State tight end Nick Vannett (Dolphins sent a coach to see him; potential mid-round pick).

Barry Jackson

I like Jefferson late in the draft. Another late lineman I like is Cory Johnson of Kentucky.

I like Jefferson late in the draft. Another late lineman I like is Cory Johnson of Kentucky.

Me too. I have Jefferson rated ahead of some guys with early grades, and I'd say he'd typically be a 4th/5th RD DT. He's currently rated as the 27th DT and as a 7th RD-UDFA. I have him in the top-20 DT's. Good player. Solid production, solid athlete.

3. Some in the league tell me they believe Christian Hackenberg will be selected ahead of Lynch. I do not buy this opinion, but expect Hackenberg to be off the board during the early part of the second round as the San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins are all considering him in the top half of that frame.

I've been a hackenberg to Mia fan, but I really did not expect him to go this high.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ft-prospects-Defensive-linemen-376906171.html

Scouting quotes for defensive lineman.

4. KEVIN DODD, Clemson (6-5, 274, 4.82, 1): Five scouts said they all preferred Dodd to Shaq Lawson, his teammate. “He’s more sudden as an athlete,” one scout said. “He was a small-town (Taylors, S.C.) guy, 215 to 220 pounds when he came in. Everything hit like they thought it would this year. He was sitting behind some really good players when he was developing. As long as his work ethic stays the way it is, he’s got a big upside.” His career stats of 82 tackles (26 ½ for loss) and 12 ½ sacks included 62 (24) and all 12 ½ sacks in ’15. Fourth-year junior who was raised by his great grandmother. Wonderlic of 12. “I went in there in August and I didn’t hear one peep about Kevin Dodd,” another scout said. “I went back in November and he’s kicking (expletive) and taking names. He’s a one-year wonder there.” And that concerns some teams. “He can do that (play outside LB) but he’s going to be a moving-forward player,” a third scout said. “He’s a fluid, athletic guy. Wins on quickness. Not a powerful guy.”

5. EMMANUEL OGBAH, Oklahoma State (6-4, 275, 4.62, 1-2): Fourth-year junior from Houston. “Prototypical 4-3 defensive end,” said one scout. “Got a high ceiling and he’s made of the right stuff. Just starting to figure out how good he can be. He’s a pretty darn good total package.” Best vertical jump (35 ½ inches) and longest arms (35 ½) of the DEs. “That Big 12 is like Arena football,” a second scout said. “It’s no huddle, and these pass rushers are asked to mush rush because they’ve got these quarterbacks that can slip through there. That’s an old (Bill) Belichick word. It slows down the rush. It’s hard to show pass rush. Emmanuel Ogbah, I love him.” Finished with 133 tackles (35 ½ for loss) and 26 ½ sacks. “He’d be better standing up,” a third scout said. “One of those guys with phenomenal height, weight, speed. Tested tremendously well. But he doesn’t play hard all the time, he’s stiff and he’s not naturally instinctive. There’s probably a 65% chance he busts and a 35% chance he’s a double-digit sack guy. Boom or bust type.”

6. SHAQ LAWSON, Clemson (6-2 ½, 271, 4.66, 1-2): Third-year junior from Central, S.C. “I don’t think he struck a lot of fear into his opponents,” one scout said. “I didn’t get a sense of urgency in the way he played. With a hand down I’m not sure he’s going to be much of a point-of-attack player. You put him in a two-point and let him play in space and use his athleticism, you’ve got a different cat.” Finished with 123 tackles (45 1/2 for loss) and 20 sacks. “You really like him because he just works and works and works,” said another scout. “Active, aggressive, tenacious. He might be one you move outside in a 3-4 because he is a good athlete.” Shortest arms (32 ¾) of the top 15 DEs. Wonderlic of 10. One team said he needs shoulder surgery. “More hype than reality,” said a third scout. “Strictly a speed rusher. Once you get him you’ll probably have to sew him up (post-surgery). He was at the (medical combine) recheck and said he would not be getting a shoulder surgery this year. He wants to play. He’s saying that so he gets drafted high. That’s a concern.”

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...spects-linebackers-b99704579z1-377020691.html

NFL scout quotes for linebackers
3. REGGIE RAGLAND, Alabama (6-1, 248, 4.66, 1): Kept busy playing special teams for two years, started at WLB in 2014 and as the signal-calling MLB in '15. "When he hits people they stop right there," one scout said. "He's a plugger. Good reading through hats, diagnosing quick. He can get sideline to sideline tracking people down." Finished with 220 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 4 sacks and 8 big plays. "Very nice kid," another scout said. "He's gifted enough. His body is a little soft but his athleticism speaks for itself. Question is, can he be a three-down linebacker? That's my only concern. If you really watch Alabama, on third down they don't have him dropping into space. They have him rushing the passer (with his hand down outside). There's got to be a reason they do that." Administered the Wonderlic test twice, scoring 10 and later 15. "There was a little knock on him learning the playbook early," said a third scout. "Talking to people at Alabama, you're not going to throw an NFL playbook at him Day 1. But in time he will learn it. When he learns it he can retain it." From Madison, Ala. "Great (expletive) kid," a fourth scout said. "He'll knock the (expletive) out of you. Fast, explosive, not very smart. That's going to affect him on the next level."

4. DARRON LEE, Ohio State (6-1, 234, 4.48, 1-2): Third-year sophomore from New Albany, Ohio. "Solid, athletic," one scout said. "He can run. He's smart (Wonderlic of 31). Not the most physical guy. But the way you use him nowadays he'll have a role and stay on the field all the time." Finished with 147 tackles (27 ½ for loss), 12 sacks and 7 big plays. Started all 28 games. "He's not as good as (Ryan) Shazier," another scout said. "He can go out and play in the slot. As long as he's covered up where he doesn't have to take on a lot he's (good). He's not Ragland, Smith or Jack playing the run inside. He can play it outside, though. More of a grab (tackler). Will he hit? Yeah. Is he tough? Yes, he's tough." Led all ILBs in the broad jump (11-1). "He's a walk-out linebacker," a third scout said. "A tweener, a safety and a 'will' linebacker. I don't have him as a first-rounder. He's not that big. He can cover backs. I worry about his size against tight ends. He's above the acceptance level as a tackler

1. LEONARD FLOYD, Georgia (6-5 ½, 246, 4.60, 1): "He has a DeMarcus Ware kind of body," said one scout. "He has first-round traits and third-, fourth-round inconsistency." Fourth-year junior, three-year starter from Eastman, Ga. "He's from a one-light town," said one scout. "He went to Georgia pro day and ate a bunch of breakfast biscuits before they go out. He put his hand down to work the heavy bag and started throwing up. You talk about coun-try." Finished with 182 tackles (28 ½ for loss), 17 sacks and 7 big plays. "He can do whatever he wants to do," another scout said. "The way they use him, he does everything at a high level. He covers the slot. He rushes the passer. They play him as a regular linebacker. I haven't seen anybody like him. Aldon Smith couldn't play up like this guy. Aldon was just go forward. I like him better than (Anthony) Barr. Barr wasn't the most physical guy. This guy plays hard." Wonderlic of 26. "He played inside this past year and didn't do a bad job," a third scout said. "But he's a guy you need impacting the quarterback. He's got to get stronger to play the run. He plays more violent than Barkevious Mingo and is a better technician

Lmao at Quote on Leonard Floyd eating a bunch of biscuits before his pro day, haha.

Really don't understand how anyone could rank Dodd over Ogbah or Lawson.

Yeah me either theres a lot of weird rankings in both the linebacker and lineman articles. He's got some names really high that barely get talked about.

I'm not really sure how he formulates his rankings, if it's based on his own opinion or on scouts rankings.

* Most of all I agree with the quote that the Big 12 is like Arena Football. Very difficult to take seriously, and often to evaluate the players, especially anybody involved in the passing game. For more than a half decade the top teams in that league know they can make a living out of bubble screens and simple offshoots of that concept. That's partially how Robert Griffin became so overrated.

TCU basically surrendered. They entered the league with a defensive emphasis but decided it was far too much effort so now they merely try to win pantyhose shootouts like everybody else. Occasionally somebody like Texas or Oklahoma (last season) will play more defense than anybody in the league and it can look formidable until they venture outside the conference in a major test, like Oklahoma vs. Clemson. It's simply too much of a rise in class. Their defense was only good enough to slow the flimsy Big 12 schemes, which are stunned and often cave in when somebody actually confronts them.

* Thanks for the jsonline material. I tried the link but it says I have reached my limit of free articles. As always, no chance I'm paying to read somebody else's opinion, not after learning value in Las Vegas.

* I appreciate the positive description of Darron Lee. He seems to be sliding. It is a mistake. Lee is a missile. For one thing, questions about a linebacker's instincts simply aren't fully applicable to the NFL. If a linebacker has very good instincts in college then they become excellent in the NFL. Far less to decipher. Shazier's instincts have not improved. They simply aren't challenged as much. And the same will be true of Lee.

College offenses feature rapid tempo, unlike the NFL. There is far greater variance in style of play from one week to the next in college. Also the talent level of the opponent from week to week can vary drastically. College quarterbacks are legitimate run threats and there are plays with built in run/pass options in significantly greater percentage. College offenses are more balanced compared to current NFL, which has become more and more pass reliant. A linebacker can guess pass and be correct far more often than not. The pro plays fakes are half baked and mostly comical. College teams run to the sideline in far greater reliance because the defenses are not fast enough as a rule to massacre those plays in the backfield.

Put it all together and a pro linebacker simply doesn't face nearly the challenges in deciphering the play, although the blockers are certainly more formidable, along with the caliber of the typical skill position player you are trying to nail. Note that I'm restricting this theme to linebackers. NFL defensive backs need superior instincts because the quarterbacks and routes are more sophisticated.

* I read on another site tonight that Daniel Jeremiah said on a recent radio show that scouting has pivoted from 70/30 ratio of tape study over background/personality evaluation to the other way around, with 70% now devoted to figuring out as much about the player as possible and only 30% applied to tape analysis. That goes along with the Scott McCoughan Q&A that I posted here a week or two ago. And keep it in mind every time somebody on one of these forums throws out the blowhard, "It's all about the tape..."

That guy is sadly limited and passe.

* I watched the ESPN Sports Science show last night, featuring players from the combine. I didn't realize their top rated defender has won defensive rookie of the year honors something like 4 out of the past 5 years and the one exception was Marcus Peters last year, finishing second. This year the nominee is Jalen Ramsey. I still think he should be a safety and not a cornerback.

* Cardale Jones did well in the testing, especially in the touch category. No kidding. That's what I posted last week, that touch was a strong suit in late 2014. There are plenty of avenues to attack or doubt Cardale Jones but touch is not one of them. That scout who compared him to JaMarcus Russell but with far worse touch was lazy and uninformed.

* Dadi Nicolas reminds me of someone already on the Dolphins roster, Chris McCain. Both have very lean frames, especially lower body, and don't have an ideal position in the NFL. The difference is that Nicolas is far more natural off the edge creating leverage. He can win a play out of nowhere with great burst as witnessed by his 41 inch vertical, while McCain is mostly a bully type who thrives when everything is going great for the defense in general, whether it's a preseason game versus scrubs or a regular season avalanche. Taylor Decker raved about Nicolas in 2014 after Virginia Tech upset the Buckeyes in Columbus. Still, given the lack of perfect NFL position I don't think I'd take Nicolas until later than he'll probably fall.

* I have to say I'm really confused about the ratings of some guys. I thought Joe Thuney would be a late round gem, then Mayock has him in his Top 100. I've seen Deion Jones all over the map, from not in Top 100 lists to picked in the late first round of that ESPN Mock Nation program tonight with the reporters from each team making the pick, supposedly based on what they are hearing close to the organization.

* Kevin Hogan is an interesting dilemma. No doubt he benefited tremendously from the type of offense Stanford runs. Heck, even Andrew Luck had some weaknesses that weren't apparent due to Stanford's marvelous offense, like the tendency to force into traffic. I rejected Hogan due to the javelin delivery, and I'm still concerned about that, but there were brief glimpses of a shortened motion in the Game Changers episode featuring quarterbacks. I was certain I'd hear more about Hogan's altered mechanics leading to the draft. Nope.

Hogan has a chance if he indeed normalizes his throwing motion.

I wondered where all the small college names were coming from, the new wave of touted defenders in some of the threads here, like Justin Zimmer. Then I realized it had to source primarily from the excellent Seahawks site, fieldgulls.com.

Sure enough, they've posted articles on the "Seahawky" unheralded players in this draft, the guys who meet the physical attributes Seattle looks for in the Schneider/Carroll era. While this draft is considered weaker than most at the top and not many major college guys posted freak test scores compared to recent years, there does appear to be major allotment of intriguing athletes from smaller schools, player who tested well even if mostly outside the combine, along with having ideal measurables like 32+ inch arms for defensive backs.

Well worth a look, for anyone who is interested. So far they have posted articles on the defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs. The defensive back crop seems to be particularly deep, according to the guy who sorts out the players Seattle is likely to consider in the late rounds and free agency.

That was my impression exiting the bowl games, that many talented defensive backs were available, far beyond the big name guys. Good timing for the Dolphins.

The Seattle GM Schneider reportedly said recently that their board includes 200 names this year while typically it is in the 130 to 140 range.

I prefer major college sleepers to smaller school guys, although I did notice that players from some of those early bowl games were all over the lists, teams like Louisiana Tech and Central Michigan, etc. That jumped out at me while watching those early bowls, that somehow the smaller schools had good looking athletes on defense. I mentioned last week that I was annoyed at myself for not writing down the names instead of relying on memory.

Via sheer numbers a big percentage of the guys mentioned in the fieldgulls.com articles are going to be undrafted free agents. So that hectic chase apparently holds more importance this year.

I wondered where all the small college names were coming from, the new wave of touted defenders in some of the threads here, like Justin Zimmer. Then I realized it had to source primarily from the excellent Seahawks site, fieldgulls.com.

Sure enough, they've posted articles on the "Seahawky" unheralded players in this draft, the guys who meet the physical attributes Seattle looks for in the Schneider/Carroll era. While this draft is considered weaker than most at the top and not many major college guys posted freak test scores compared to recent years, there does appear to be major allotment of intriguing athletes from smaller schools, player who tested well even if mostly outside the combine, along with having ideal measurables like 32+ inch arms for defensive backs.

Well worth a look, for anyone who is interested. So far they have posted articles on the defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs. The defensive back crop seems to be particularly deep, according to the guy who sorts out the players Seattle is likely to consider in the late rounds and free agency.

That was my impression exiting the bowl games, that many talented defensive backs were available, far beyond the big name guys. Good timing for the Dolphins.

The Seattle GM Schneider reportedly said recently that their board includes 200 names this year while typically it is in the 130 to 140 range.

I prefer major college sleepers to smaller school guys, although I did notice that players from some of those early bowl games were all over the lists, teams like Louisiana Tech and Central Michigan, etc. That jumped out at me while watching those early bowls, that somehow the smaller schools had good looking athletes on defense. I mentioned last week that I was annoyed at myself for not writing down the names instead of relying on memory.

Via sheer numbers a big percentage of the guys mentioned in the fieldgulls.com articles are going to be undrafted free agents. So that hectic chase apparently holds more importance this year.

I think I was the first person to mention Zimmer on this site. I'm guessing my approach is somewhat similar to the folks at FG's. I review the top 30-50 players ranked on draft scout, and I also review any players with high SPARQ scores that aren't included in that group. Zimmer, being at the top of the DL, was pretty easy to spot. When you factor in his production, and given that there is some tape (where you can see the tools on display), he looks like someone who should go much higher than his projection.

Back
Top Bottom