Dt Is Huge Problem | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dt Is Huge Problem

Well, the LDT tried to go outside, and the guard rode him into the end, creating a big run lane for the RB. Very bad play by that LDT unless a twist was called, in which case the LDE was responsible for filling that gap … but that does not look to be the case. So, it appears that the LDT was indeed at fault and was completely dominated 1v1 in the run game … not good.

Then on top of that, Raekwon McMillan looked like a rookie, he tried to read the play rather than instinctively reacting, and he failed to fill that hole as the RB was hitting it. In a footrace, McMillan was always losing that race, so the error was that he isn't processing the info at game speed yet … but he will get there. It's a typically rookie move, and one of the reasons Mike's tend not to start as rookies.

But the biggest problem was a very poor play by TJ McDonald. He saw what McMillan saw, had plenty of time to fill the gap, didn't adjust or play complementary football, and simply allowed the RB to reach the edge by running around him. Bad play all around, but it started with poor DT play, and got worse from there.

[BeginRant] Memorizing the playbook and doing this non-contact and half-speed walk through crap isn't the same as getting actual game reps against players and offenses you do not know. The CBA's limit on padded practices make this type of occurrence all too common. Just imagine if a tennis pro was allowed to play against a live opponent only 18 days the entire season … it would be very difficult to watch good tennis that way. There simply is no substitute for actually playing. [/EndRant]

I see what you are saying but the LDT was double teamed initially. He held his ground for a bit until he was moved. Maybe I am seeing it wrong but I feel that the wide nine naturally has gaps and the DTs are to eat up blocks and give space for the LB and safeties to read/react and bring down the ball carrier. I agree there was a gap there which CM took advantage of but he should not have ran past the LBs and safeties to the endzone. They are being let off too easy here.

Maybe they should stop with that ridiculous alignment where the DTs are 5 yards apart

Reshad Jones could have stopped it short of the goal line if he had merely hustled throughout the play. Instead he paused and was briefly flatfooted on the other side of the field, assuming someone would make the tackle. By the time he realized it was a breakaway it was too late.

Any greatness within a safety has ceased the moment a WR like Darrius Heyward-Bey runs through him like a toddler for a long TD.

That was 2 years ago.

I see what you are saying but the LDT was double teamed initially. He held his ground for a bit until he was moved. Maybe I am seeing it wrong but I feel that the wide nine naturally has gaps and the DTs are to eat up blocks and give space for the LB and safeties to read/react and bring down the ball carrier. I agree there was a gap there which CM took advantage of but he should not have ran past the LBs and safeties to the endzone. They are being let off too easy here.
Agreed. I'm not really a fan of the wide 9. It was worth a try I guess, but the results are consistently substandard. While we had a lot of negative backlash about past defensive coordinators like Kevin Coyle … their defenses were a lot better than what we're seeing today, and without much different talent.

For example? Those guys are not available. Suh's contract made it nearly impossible to keep him, and it wasn't working anyway. I will take the wait and see approach on the tackle situation. This is a good time to develop the young guys IMO. More concerned with the linebackers at this point.
I've seen people say this before. To that, I say, it certainly wasn't his fault it wasn't working! Our only elite player. Imagine how bad last year's D would have been without him?

I've seen people say this before. To that, I say, it certainly wasn't his fault it wasn't working! Our only elite player. Imagine how bad last year's D would have been without him?
Absolutely not his fault at all. As to whether or not we would have been worse? It's a specious argument. If our defense is not playoff caliber, it makes no difference to me if we are #20, or #30.

I'm not big on participation trophies.

Absolutely not his fault at all. As to whether or not we would have been worse? It's a specious argument. If our defense is not playoff caliber, it makes no difference to me if we are #20, or #30.

I'm not big on participation trophies.
True. I guess my point would be, people assume our D can't be worse than last year. I think there's a definite chance it could be, as we've lost elite talent.

Likewise most people are utterly convinced our OL will be better this year. I need to see it proven. Tunsil and James need to step up, and James in particular doesn't convince me.

True. I guess my point would be, people assume our D can't be worse than last year. I think there's a definite chance it could be, as we've lost elite talent.

Likewise most people are utterly convinced our OL will be better this year. I need to see it proven. Tunsil and James need to step up, and James in particular doesn't convince me.
Such was a monster. No doubt about it. He was just too expensive for the difference he made IMO. The coaching staff obviously sees something in Godchaux, and Taylor. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope experience makes them good players for the future.

Best case scenario is we come together and become a cohesive, consistent team. With all the young guys we have on the defensive side of the ball, we aren't making any deep playoff run this year. Let's coach them up, and see what we have.

I think the linebackers are the biggest liability and are making the defensive line look worse they really are.
I would agree with that. We don't have much experience at the position, but I think the problems run deeper than just that. It seemed like they were constantly out of position. I put that on coaching.

If I'm Tennessee, my game plan is to run the ball 50-60 times. Run it until Miami proves it can stop it.

That definitely could be the area that holds the Dolphins back this season. I think the front seven will be the major focus over the next several drafts. My hope is that the offense really takes off. If that happens, and there's a good chance it will, Miami could play to its perceived strength on defense which is the pass rush.

If I'm Tennessee, my game plan is to run the ball 50-60 times. Run it until Miami proves it can stop it.

That definitely could be the area that holds the Dolphins back this season. I think the front seven will be the major focus over the next several drafts. My hope is that the offense really takes off. If that happens, and there's a good chance it will, Miami could play to its perceived strength on defense which is the pass rush.

Yeah is we have the no huddle going on the heat week 1 the Titans defense will be gassed. If we force them to beat us throwing chalk up the 1-0.

it's really hard to tell what the biggest problem is on defense since sometimes it looks as if the whole defense don't know what the heck they're doing. At this moment we don't have a great LB. Could one of the young guys develop into one? Time will tell but right now we don't have one and I've never seen a great defense that didn't have at least one great LB

Back
Top Bottom