Dt Is Huge Problem | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dt Is Huge Problem

Burke sucks. Gase is responsible for promoting him. If my job was on the line I would never have done that. Get someone from outside whose done it before. Let me fill you guys in. Not only is the defense putrid and will be blown up soon but the offense has no superstars with the exception of possibly Drake.

Burke is more former Bengals garbage that our team has been burdened with. And yes if I were a Dolphins opponent I'd just ram the ball right down the defenses throat. Our defense hasn't shown any ability to stop the run at all.

Burke sucks. Gase is responsible for promoting him. If my job was on the line I would never have done that. Get someone from outside whose done it before. Let me fill you guys in. Not only is the defense putrid and will be blown up soon but the offense has no superstars with the exception of possibly Drake.

I don't like Rob Ryan but he's still a better D-Coordinator than Burke is.

I don't know what you guys are watching, but I'm more worried about middle linebacker speed then defensive tackle. I like what I'm seeing this preseason so far as far as tackling and what upfront defense is doing against the run. Maybe we could put a little more pressure up the middle to speed up the pocket, but all the damage I'm seeing is being done on the outside not the inside.

UPDATE: Just to make a point apparently I'm not the only one thinking this way…

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...sive-starters-because-raiders-open-with-rams/

If I'm Tennessee, my game plan is to run the ball 50-60 times. Run it until Miami proves it can stop it.

That definitely could be the area that holds the Dolphins back this season. I think the front seven will be the major focus over the next several drafts. My hope is that the offense really takes off. If that happens, and there's a good chance it will, Miami could play to its perceived strength on defense which is the pass rush.

Actually, I am more afraid of teams just trying to get matchups against those linebackers in pass coverage. None of them have an ounce of coverage skills. The only one with even a glimmer of hope in that department is Baker. I hated the McMillan pick when they made it and nothing he has shown me thus far has changed my opinion about him. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't think he is athletic enough to be more than a two down backer and in this era of football
that basically makes him a dinosaur.

I have Phillips and Taylor as the starters imo..that’s what was missing last nite on the interior

Agreed. I'm not really a fan of the wide 9. It was worth a try I guess, but the results are consistently substandard. While we had a lot of negative backlash about past defensive coordinators like Kevin Coyle … their defenses were a lot better than what we're seeing today, and without much different talent.
The problem with the wide 9 in today's NFL is the need for sound assignment played football. Look at the Eagles bucking the trend and winning the Super Bowl last year. Albeit holding on for deer life at the end of the game. But when they were executing it, they were tough to beat. It not unstoppable. Good coaches are able to exploiilt the openings in. If we struggle to open the year Gase needs to jettison Burke and retool the whole scheme. We should bot be losing games because our DC does not want to adapt

HMqz1y5azsgB9Y6j9

C8aCfN5mdUq7kX8b7

And I hear people blame the safety. Lol. Any running back especially a small 4.4 running back, not suppose to run through a hole that big.

The problem with the wide 9 in today's NFL is the need for sound assignment played football. Look at the Eagles bucking the trend and winning the Super Bowl last year. Albeit holding on for deer life at the end of the game. But when they were executing it, they were tough to beat. It not unstoppable. Good coaches are able to exploiilt the openings in. If we struggle to open the year Gase needs to jettison Burke and retool the whole scheme. We should bot be losing games because our DC does not want to adapt
Also it creates gaps along the front that are very predictable and manipulatable. That leads to easily creating running lanes.

The gain from the wide 9 is outside pass rush, and possibly easier setting of the edge, funneling play up the middle to the linebackers. The loss of the wide 9 is that it really makes it easy to get to the 2nd level in the run game, and puts a lot of stress on your linebackers to stop the run up the middle.

Compound that with today's preferred system of going with all gap-penetrators, and we get huge run lanes and completely unprotected LB's. With LB's able to easily be moved by pulling guards and centers, it requires good stack-and-shed LB's, and they're almost extinct at this point. If you have those LB's, then there's no way they can cover the short pass--which is the staple of most offenses today.

I like funneling the runs inside, but it puts a huge strain on those LB's. To make that work, those edge rushers need to be getting to the QB regularly, or else the QB can easily carve up that defense by throwing underneath. Just like Flacco did to us the last time we played the Ravens. We don't have those elite LB's to make that work, so we need Quinn and Wake to dominate, and disrupt that QB's rhythm.

As a system, I think the wide 9 is a bad base system. I'm fine with it on obvious passing downs, or to flex a particular end out wide (but preferably not both ends), but it exposes the defense a lot, which is very problematic. We're seeing it every day with our poor run defense and inability to stop the short underneath crossing routes and passes to the TE. A lot of this stems from our choice to employ the wide 9, IMHO.

Getting a widebody NT that can play the 1 gap, could solve a lot of problems with this current defense. Keeping the LB's clean could fix this porous defense until the entire defense matures.

Last night was the second game where DTs were just getting over powered. At times you seen one guard handle 2 DTs. Then you add that you have two rookie LBers in McMillan and Baker you are trying to develop. How are you suppose to do that when your DTs are not handling their jobs in front of them. Its one thing to move on from Suh for a different strategy, but not having a plan to replace his position was horrible execution of roster moves. Should had at least got an veteran stop gap who can swallow up 2 OLmen.

There's a plan. Suh was being paid like a QB. Not acceptable. The plan is to play the young guys. If it doesn't work, then they'll address it. The Suh move had to be made. Cap flexibility was very limited.

Then why in the hairy **** did the Dolphins restructure that contract? People keep acting as if this was all guided by some invisible hand in a laissez-faire system of contract negotiations ... but it wasn't. Tbaum did that **** with his eyes wide open ... and everyone in that FO who agreed is complicit.

Not picking on you, I just want to stop reading how the fins had no choice in the matter because they were saddled by some insane contract parameters totally out of their control. It's just not true. There is no fault for the insanity of that extension except with fins brass.

And, of course, it would be better for the youngsters to learn from Suh instead of a guy who won't make it past his rookie contract with the team.

Because we had to find a way to send Cutler off to retirement the right way.

Regardless of what peoples thoughts on Tannebaum are, the fact that he restructured Suh last season and then cut him this season is grounds for termination - even a movie cinema floor manager has more foresight than that.

I've said all offseason this team is going to struggle on defense (and probably offense too). We have huge question marks at both DT spots and depth, we don't know what we have at LB except inexperience and there has never been a solid #2 CB even though everyone has been mistakenly touting our CB group as loaded with depth.

Back
Top Bottom