DVP - Update | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DVP - Update

To reiterate on Parker and Wilson: My wife is a Neurologist Nurse and she said the National Football League has to evaluate 3 steps to be cleared. #1 no lingering headaches, #2 testing (basic thinking and movements), and finally an Neuro Examiner will test them on all 3 phases (plus an MRI or Brain Scan) 1 day before being cleared they must pass all 3. So tomorrow, if they pass, they will be allowed to play, and cleared medically. Any setbacks or a failed test and they will not. She told me concussions are very tricky some more than others. When a person has a concussion the brain hits the skull inside causing it to bruise inside. If they have a MRI or Brain Scan it will show. On DeVante Parker's the hit was a solid side blow with no support of hands to stop it, it was on the right side of his helmet causing a cobweb effect and blackness when he got up that's why he was shaking his head. On Wilson's it was crown hit. These type of hits will make you feel high and you lose slight vision. Since both have participated in practice all week and are physically moving around their odds are very good. My wife told me sometimes they are mild and some so severe with massive migraine headaches and blurriness it takes time for the brain to heal inside because a bruise is actually bleeding without escaping the body. So the NFL Protocol is proper but, it is also scary to put a player or a person back on the job until they are 110%. Question: Would go back to your job if you were not ready to go? Sometimes the NFL should really examine the things they do. It is a risk to play in any sport. Head injuries do occur and it can kill you if you have too many.

The second reason that neither should play is that modern medicine has found that having a recent concussion makes it more likely for you to have a second... or a third.

This is why so many ex-NFL players have brain damage.

Repeated concussions.

My unit used to bring in a guest neurologist each year in class 1 or 2 to discuss concussions and how to spot them.
In California, if an official 'suspected' a concussion it was MANDATORY to send that player out for an evaluation, and believe me, we did. None of us wanted the death of a teenager on our hands... nevermind the serious risk of a lawsuit against the 120$ bucks or so we were making for a double-header.

Now... no sane Dr. would even consider sending a player back in after we'd sent them out... even if they had the degree and we didn't.

This lead to the player going into what was basically the same concussion protocol that the NFL adopted... and we had this several years before the NFL

That said... we still had an incident where a student almost died and the official who saved the kid's life by sending him out (when he fought to stay in) ended up testifying in court.

And what did they find... the kid had had a previous untreated concussion in practice.

Shake it off son... was what he'd been told.

The insurance company eventually settled and the team got a new coach soon after.

These guys are competitors, if they clear protocol they will go case closed. If they don't clear protocol they will be out.

Based on the tweet posted by Albert I'd say they are trending towards playing.

No because it hurts morale or something

Classic sarcasm; I know they're trying to win, but at times it didn't seem like it, especially on Gases side I seriously thought he wasn't trying to win going for it on 4th that often.

Why do you want the Fins to lose games? That's absurdity.
I don't know if replying to this would pull me into a political mine field on this board so I won't, especially since I don't have scientific evidence that a loss to move up significantly in the draft improves the team over the morale gained from winning meaningless games improves a team based on all the unknown nuances of draft talent and position evaluation. But it's obvious from my posts that I tend to lean with the former.

He looked OK signing his contract extension. :lol:

As much as I would love to win the next two games but I would put Parker on our "2020 Keeper's list" (IR) and pick some other receiver up for tryouts. :nah:
I would agree, but one of his goals was 1000 yds, and there may be performance incentives in his contract. It wouldn't be cool to screw him out of them, if that were the case.

Back
Top Bottom