EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit

Just don't think there's gonna be a guy there at 18 that is just too good to pass on. I still think our best bet might be to wait till the 2nd round to go edge.

Just don't think there's gonna be a guy there at 18 that is just too good to pass on. I still think our best bet might be to wait till the 2nd round to go edge.

Agree... we are going to have a stud fall to us at 18 IMO. Go that route and circle back to edge with one of the 2nd round picks.

I think if Miami is not concerned about the character issues they will consider Parson at 6. It’s a great draft for WRs which means they can still get a very good one at 18

Unfortunately speaking this draft doesnt have an aaron donald. And if you want to know who aaron donald is look at how mishandled flowers all game long against us. No reason to waste a 1st round pick. He was 13 overall but plays like 1st overall. We got too many guys that play lkke 2nd round picks. If we get paye 18 i would be ok with that.
This is a very weird reply - it has absolutely nothing to do with the post - spot on - but just totally random in asking about Edge/ LB's...I guess you're saying there's no interior guys at that point that could make Edge/LB's better maybe?

This is a very weird reply - it has absolutely nothing to do with the post - spot on - but just totally random in asking about Edge/ LB's...I guess you're saying there's no interior guys at that point that could make Edge/LB's better maybe?

I mean I agree with the weird part but I was just watching his game film. After watching his game film I felt this draft is completely devoit of a defensive player at the line. There are good players, but nothing of the Defensive player of the year caliber like defenders.

I mean I agree with the weird part but I was just watching his game film. After watching his game film I felt this draft is completely devoit of a defensive player at the line. There are good players, but nothing of the Defensive player of the year caliber like defenders.
Not too many like Donald. I suppose Barmore is the best DT in the draft and he gets interesting if he starts dropping closer to that #36, possibly even at #18. Although I think there will be players the Dolphins like better at #18. Barmore does provide pass rush, though. In that sense, maybe he should be in consideration?

I think Parsons would be a Pro Bowler with the Dolphins or Patriots scheme right away. His skillset of being able to stuff the run, cover the pass, and provide inside Pass Rush pressure would make him one of either defenses best players. Obviously he will go somewhere in Round 1.

I like Edge players Jordan Smith (UAB) 6'7 250 as a developmental player on the outside. He is quick and can also stuff the run. He can't cover routes though... Rumpf is pretty much the same. Both players could be drafted AFTER round 4 IMO

Everyone speaks highly of Collins, but I haven't watched him much on film.
EDIT:
I just watched his highlight and he'd be amazing in our scheme. He can line up at any LB position (inside or outside) and provide a great run stuff or pass rush. After Parsons I'd say he's my favorite defensive player in the draft. Given Parsons behaviors Collins may be a better option quite frankly. I'm going to have to watch more film.

Last edited:
I think Parsons would be a Pro Bowler with the Dolphins or Patriots scheme right away. His skillset of being able to stuff the run, cover the pass, and provide inside Pass Rush pressure would make him one of either defenses best players. Obviously he will go somewhere in Round 1.

I like Edge players Jordan Smith (UAB) 6'7 250 as a developmental player on the outside. He is quick and can also stuff the run. He can't cover routes though... Rumpf is pretty much the same. Both players could be drafted AFTER round 4 IMO

Everyone speaks highly of Collins, but I haven't watched him much on film. Sounds though like he could fit into our scheme quite well.
Agree on Parsons. I think he would quickly become Miami's best defensive player. Also wouldn't be surprised if he had close to 10 sacks. I wouldn't use him in coverage much, although I think he's good there too. On passing downs, his pinning his ears and attacking the quarterback.

The advantage of getting Parsons is you could wait longer for a pass rush DE. Could use Sieler or Wilkins as that big DE and take one of those developmental players you mentioned.

As to Collins, he reminds me a little bit of Jason Taylor. Maybe it's that 6-4 frame with long arms, but he also has a knack for making big plays at big times and is a good athlete.

In Addition to Basham, there is also Rumph from Duke
Isn't Rumph on the small side?
I also thought Miami's edge guys needed to be bigger to force the action into the LB's. If that is so, what would Rumph's role be?
Occasion pass rusher only?

Another fit at DE that I haven't seen mentioned is Basham.

Agree with Parsons and Collins at linebacker, with Collins most likely available at #18. If Miami wants Parsons, not sure he gets out of top 10.
Is Basham a good fit? Where is he being projected-
36 seems a little early for him, could 50 be a good spot? Do we want to wait it out till 50 to try to snag Basham if that's a guy we like?
EDIT: Just saw CBS latest 2 round mock has Basham going to Baltimore in the 20s. Hmmm...

There’s only a few off ball guys that are worth the pick investment for the upgrade. There’s a lot of guys that belong on the los as either 34 olbs or as 43 des. Miami shouldn’t overdraft that especially anything that doesn’t have outside shoulder win abilities. There’s a bunch of kids that are weakside off ball options but they won’t be worth the pick investment relative to what’s on the board to get em and are similar size to baker (have similar limitations as a player)

Agree on Parsons. I think he would quickly become Miami's best defensive player. Also wouldn't be surprised if he had close to 10 sacks. I wouldn't use him in coverage much, although I think he's good there too. On passing downs, his pinning his ears and attacking the quarterback.

The advantage of getting Parsons is you could wait longer for a pass rush DE. Could use Sieler or Wilkins as that big DE and take one of those developmental players you mentioned.

As to Collins, he reminds me a little bit of Jason Taylor. Maybe it's that 6-4 frame with long arms, but he also has a knack for making big plays at big times and is a good athlete.
I'm glad you mentioned Seiler. He's done nothing but exceed expectations since coming to Miami. I think he is such a hustler that he can be effective inside and outside on the Defensive Line.

I'm falling in love with Collins on film.

Off ball - Parsons and Collins, Davis to a lesser extent

Edge LB - Ojulari, Oweh, Tryon, E Smith

DE - Barmore, Paye, Basham, Sample

NT- Brown

Back
Top Bottom