“Embarrassment of riches” | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“Embarrassment of riches”

Not going to disagree, but I frequently defend Grier when people calim a bad pick is HIS fault. It's not. Grier, by himself makes no picks. And, TBF, Grier can't get credit BY HIMSELF, for a brilliant pick. Credit/blame goes equally to Flo/coaches/scouts.
...waiting for someone to catch that!

Well played!

But bottom line --- since December '18 Grier is 100% accountable on all fronts (excluding any Ross the Clown interventions)!

Let's say Miami trades down with Carolina for #8, a 2021 second rounder and a 2022 first round pick.

That would mean, the Dolphins got three first round picks and three second rounders for Tunsil.

Adding to that scenario, what if that Panthers pick turns into a top 5 for 2022? Miami could potentially trade back again.

Of course, the bottom line is what Miami does with the picks. The players the Dolphins ultimately add to the team.

That Iggy pick last year could also be key in shaping Grier's legacy.
If he becomes an elite player then Howard loses leverage and his exit from Miami doesn't hurt and we dont need to throw any more resources there in the next couple years.
If Iggy is just a bum then X has the team over a barrell and Miami D will fall off a cliff without him.

I always hate the fell in the lap comment. By that logic, mahommes fell in their lap, Brady fell in there lap, etc...
Brady was practically Mr Irrelevant, all things considered. Youre not a genius for taking a flyer on a guy in the 6th round who played well in the Big 10.
If they had gone for him in the 4th or 5th and the experts called it 'a reach' at the time then it wouldve been a praise-worthy pick.

By my standard, the Seahawks get a lit more props for taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd. A 3rd round pick is 50/50 becoming an NFL starter, so if Wilson would have failed because his measurables doomed him, as experts predicted, that's a mostly waste of a valuable draft pick.

By my standard, the Seahawks get a lit more props for taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd. A 3rd round pick is 50/50 becoming an NFL starter, so if Wilson would have failed because his measurables doomed him, as experts predicted, that's a mostly waste of a valuable draft pick.
Costly waste.

Quite frankly, Grier's legacy will be severely trashed if Tua fails.
I still think we should know what Grier's involvement with the Dion Jordan fiasco was, or passing on Earl Thomas.

Moving forward, Grier’s reputation will largely depend on the play of Tua, particularly in comparison to the play of Herbert.

Let's say Miami trades down with Carolina for #8, a 2021 second rounder and a 2022 first round pick.

That would mean, the Dolphins got three first round picks and three second rounders for Tunsil.

Adding to that scenario, what if that Panthers pick turns into a top 5 for 2022? Miami could potentially trade back again.

Of course, the bottom line is what Miami does with the picks. The players the Dolphins ultimately add to the team.

Anyone with a real vision would execute that plan and not fall for the allure of any one single (non QB) prospect.

Flipping picks for value should be part of 5 year plan at this point.

Anyone with a real vision would execute that plan and not fall for the allure of any one single (non QB) prospect.

Flipping picks for value should be part of 5 year plan at this point.
Unless there's a Lawrence Taylor type prospect, I agree with you.

It seems like when the Dolphins end up picking in the top five, there isn't that absolutely dominant, must have guy.

I guess Sewell is the closest to that, but Miami has put a lot of resources in the offensive line.

I want to like Grier... but his mediocre first round I'm 2020 has me struggling

Tua over Herbert

Jackson over Jefferson

Igbinoghene over Swift and CEH

Hunt over Jonathan Taylor and Akers

Those were real needs when Miami was on the clock.

I want to like Grier... but his mediocre first round I'm 2020 has me struggling

Tua over Herbert

Jackson over Jefferson

Igbinoghene over Swift and CEH

Hunt over Jonathan Taylor and Akers

Those were real needs when Miami was on the clock.
I think taking Tua over Herbert is what the majority of teams would have done if they needed a QB and those were the two options in the draft last year. I personally still think Tua will end up being the better QB in the long term but I won’t argue that Herbert had the better rookie season.

Grier went into the last draft with the idea of rebuilding one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. So I really can’t fault him for the Jackson and Hunt picks because they were certainly needs for the team.

I would have much rather had Swift or Taylor over Igbinoghene. Taking Iggy in the first round still makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially after signing Byron Jones to a huge contract prior to the draft and with Howard as the other starting CB on the team. Hopefully the light comes on for Iggy but I just think there were better players on the board when he was drafted.

Not going to disagree, but I frequently defend Grier when people calim a bad pick is HIS fault. It's not. Grier, by himself makes no picks. And, TBF, Grier can't get credit BY HIMSELF, for a brilliant pick. Credit/blame goes equally to Flo/coaches/scouts.

If might offer a slight difference of opinion:

Good GM's are profoundly influenced by their scouts and coaches (what the coach says they want/need to succeed). From all accounts, Grier works very collaboratively with his staff. That being said, he is the GM, so while he may not have been the only voice in good/bad decisions, it's his JOB to make sure there are no catastrophically bad decisions and that the team makes significantly more good decisions than bad.

So far, I think its hard to judge Grier because we don't have an insiders knowledge of how functional or dysfunctional the brain trust was for the years he's been in charge -- we can only judge the end results, which has been mediocre.

In the negative column, the Gase hire was catastrophic in hind-sight, with knock on impacts in the draft, but we don't know how much the owner (his boss) was involved.

In the plus column, the drafting seems to be trending up, but isn't best of league by any stretch. But his wheeling and dealing to get the team financially healthy and making what would have been hard choices to build a draft pipeline has been top of league. The Flores hire looks very, very good so far.

I'd give him a solid B -- and need to see more improvements with our drafting over the next year or two to remain satisfied (and yes, I know no one here gives a hoot what I think and if anyone on the team read this, they would soil themselves from laughing so hard).

Back
Top Bottom