ESPN: Cubs want A-Rod.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN: Cubs want A-Rod..

MikeO said:
read the link above in this thread

CUBS aren't selling tickets anymore. Lots of empty seats this year.

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.
I'm pretty sure those tickets are still being sold. They've just become very expensive through the scalpers. I remember a feature about it a few years ago, because Wrigley used to be one of the most affordable tickets. Whatever attendance issues they may have experienced in '06 has less to do with the team than the ticket cost.

MikeO said:
I am guessing we will probably take either Wood or Prior and their huge contract off their hands for them, give them payroll relief...but they are gonna have to part with proven things like Zambrano and Ramirez. Not just 1 or the other. Not just average players and prospects.

I thought wood was a FA? i thought i heard rumors about him signing somewhere to be a closer

The Yanks are not in a great power postion either, teams know the Yanks want him gone, so the price drops some.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The Yanks are not in a great power postion either, teams know the Yanks want him gone, so the price drops some.

Well cashman said that they were keeping him, however it most likely was just a ploy. I don't think they necessarily want him gone, i think its more if they get a good offer then ok, but they aren't shopping him

UCFinfan86 said:
Well cashman said that they were keeping him, however it most likely was just a ploy. I don't think they necessarily want him gone, i think its more if they get a good offer then ok, but they aren't shopping him

You can bet your bottom dollar, they want him gone.

Geez, Mike, relax, Nappy doesn't think the Cubs should do the deal. A little touchy there?

Wood is a FA. The Cubs should not trade both Ramirez and Zambrano, but first, Ramirez has to be on the team. If he opts out of his contract, which is entirely possible, he's a FA too. The Cubs would be absolutely dumb to trade Zambrano, even if they are getting A-Rod back. Pitching is still the coin of the land, and the Cubs are not like the Marlins, who could trade Willis and still have plenty of bullets left in the gun as far as pitching is concerned. Zambrano is 25, a workhorse, and a very good pitcher. After that, who do the Cubs have? Rich Hill? 4th starter. Marmol? O'Malley? Marshall? Nothing. If they trade Zambrano for A-Rod at a position where they're fine if they keep Ramirez, they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.

Cubs don't need A-Rod.

A healthy Derek Lee with Ramirez can carry the Cubs back to the postseason.

If the Cubs really do want A-Rod, a trade for Zambrano and a prospect pitcher would be enough.

RWhitney014 said:
Geez, Mike, relax, Nappy doesn't think the Cubs should do the deal. A little touchy there?

Wood is a FA. The Cubs should not trade both Ramirez and Zambrano, but first, Ramirez has to be on the team. If he opts out of his contract, which is entirely possible, he's a FA too. The Cubs would be absolutely dumb to trade Zambrano, even if they are getting A-Rod back. Pitching is still the coin of the land, and the Cubs are not like the Marlins, who could trade Willis and still have plenty of bullets left in the gun as far as pitching is concerned. Zambrano is 25, a workhorse, and a very good pitcher. After that, who do the Cubs have? Rich Hill? 4th starter. Marmol? O'Malley? Marshall? Nothing. If they trade Zambrano for A-Rod at a position where they're fine if they keep Ramirez, they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.
He's advertizing on how good A-Rod is, perhaps the Yankees should just keep him. I mean, wow, they are letting such a great player go? :rolleyes:

MikeO said:
read the link above in this thread

CUBS aren't selling tickets anymore. Lots of empty seats this year.

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.

Here read this article:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061002&content_id=1695261&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Chicago Cubs topped the three million mark (3,123,215) for the third straight year, reaching the second best total in club history.

Over 3 mill fans for one of the worst teams in baseball this year, that's pretty good, huh?

Scalpers are huge in Chicago. If you’ve ever been to a game at Wrigley you’d know it. There at least a hundred people around the park selling tickets, not to mention ticket stands inside people’s houses a block away from Wrigley selling them. On any gameday you can walk up to the box office at Wrigley and will be told they have no tickets, then all you have to do is turn around and walk 1 block away from the stadium and pick wherever you want to sit.

So while there might be empty seats the tickets are still selling out. Like I said before Cub fans are some of the base fans in the game and they'll always stick by their team.

I understand you were just posting the article, but I really don't understand why the article would state something like that when clearly the Cubs don't have an attendance problem. I guess the ones with the problems are the scalpers because they sell tickets for so much.

As a Reds fan, I hope A-rod stays in NY. But i got the feelin that NY doesnt want to keep him. As long as he goes to a team not in the NL Central unless its the Reds which will never happen, i be happy with it.

RWhitney014 said:
they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.

This has been a big issue but as discussed before, A-Rod contract won't be that big of a deal. With what the Rangers are still paying and assuming the Yanks will eat some of the contract as well, the Cubs would only be looking at paying somewhere between $10-15mil.

I also don't think the market is going to go down for A-Rod at all. He's still a Top 5 player in the game today and I have to think all the rumors about LAA, SD and Chicago being interested in him are true. The market is there and the Yanks stand to better themselves considerably by trading A-Rod.

P.S.- I like FinsYanks deal: Zambrano, Ramirez, and Prior for A-Rod and Pavano :D If not, ship him to SD and get Peavy in pinstripes!

<----- HUGE Peavy fan!

AggieFin21 said:
This has been a big issue but as discussed before, A-Rod contract won't be that big of a deal. With what the Rangers are still paying and assuming the Yanks will eat some of the contract as well, the Cubs would only be looking at paying somewhere between $10-15mil.

The Cubs are not going to be able to get the Yankees to pay a lot of the contract. The reason why some teams like LAA or Florida could is because they would be giving New York prospects along with the established players, which means that the Yankees are essentially paying for future production. But Chicago doesn't really have any plum prospects that would intrigue New York. Their best prospect is Felix Pie, a CF, and then a couple of middle infielders (Cedeno, Theriot, and some more) and catchers (Geovany Soto and Jose Reyes), and none of them are headliners like a Chris Young or a Howie Kendrick. A-Rod would cost Chicago about $18 million a year, with small adjustments over the next few years, as Texas' payments fluctuate by a million or so each year.

I believe the Cubs are still owned by the Tribune Company and they are notoriously cheap....just look at how they never seem to make any improvements to Wrigley Field. That is why Steve Stone, Chip Carey and others were always critical of the team/owner as broadcasters. I don't see them going after a guy like A-Rod and bringing in that contract, unless the Yankees are willing to pay a good part of his salary over there?

Back
Top Bottom