Expectations for McDaniel | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Expectations for McDaniel

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Reaction score
Yes I know we don’t know who is going to be on the roster before FA even begins however flores had 2 winning seasons in a row with this team. So what are your expectations this year and beyond for McDaniel? I would think he has to make the playoffs with 10 wins minimum. Yes I know high expectations but that’s where the bar is set for this team imo. Flores or not that’s what this team should have had last season and that’s what they should have next season. Furthermore I think McDaniel only gets 2 seasons if he can’t make the playoffs. Fair or not that’s the situation imo. Thoughts?

We should be playing in the division round this year at a minimum. He took over a winning roster and is an expert at the areas that need the most improvement with the most cap room and most of our picks plus good picks in '23 to use if there is an opportunity for a great trade or to move up and get a dropping phenom if needed.

A whole new offense has to be installed, and teams don't have the face to face, on the field time like they used to. It might be bumpy out of the gate; plus, from what I hear, the blocking scheme is not easy to get down. Not sure how many games it will take for things to start to click.
I think they will lean on the defense early, and with that the question will be: Was Boyer the one responsible for that defensive garbage during 1-7, or was he behind the 8-1 second half.
I honestly don't know what to expect; but I think, like for any new coach, it'll take McDaniel some time to figure out what works, who will work, plus time for things to gel.
I can't put a win number on the expectations, or a playoffs or no type of scenario, but I'd think a slow start followed by steady improvement would be good for season one.
I know we were on the cusp of the playoffs the past two years, but we are going to have a lot of roster turnover- not necessarily with defensive starters, but with depth, oline, and skill positions. New players = learning curve.

Yes I know we don’t know who is going to be on the roster before FA even begins however flores had 2 winning seasons in a row with this team. So what are your expectations this year and beyond for McDaniel? I would think he has to make the playoffs with 10 wins minimum. Yes I know high expectations but that’s where the bar is set for this team imo. Flores or not that’s what this team should have had last season and that’s what they should have next season. Furthermore I think McDaniel only gets 2 seasons if he can’t make the playoffs. Fair or not that’s the situation imo. Thoughts?

No one needs to remind me I may say this too often , , , the 1st 6 games could be rough. New O scheme, likely new blocking scheme, likely new OLmen, new receivers to get in sync with TT, blah, blah. Depending on the record after 6 games, I expect a 'close to playoff team' at minimum

20-0.

Should be doable. I've done it on Madden before on the hardest level, so, I do speak from experience.

/s

As long as the core guys are healthy, my #1 goal is consistency shown on offense. Establish an identity and continue to build the trenches.
Would be nice to see a running game that can produce vs the Jets and the Pats/Bills etc. Doesn't have to be 5ypc and 150 yards but enough to extend drives and not put all the pressure on Tua.
Growth from Tua too. Make him comfortable(aka no bs rumors of trades/coaches dont like you) but still push him to be at his best

Record wise, 10-7 or 11-6. But I haven't checked the opponent log yet

I expect the team to get better as the season goes along. The defense is my biggest concern. As an offensive minded head coach, I believe the offense will improve. The key is getting the defensive coaching staff right.

I have no idea what to expect. I assume the offense will be better but on paper the schedule next year is much tougher than the 2021 schedule was.

The reality is the Dolphins won the majority of their games going against rookie QB’s or backup QB’s. When they faced the regular starting QB of the opposing teams, they lost the vast majority of those games.

Hopefully they will upgrade the OL, RB, and WR positions in free agency and the draft while also adding help on defense to upgrade their run defense.

IMO a lot depends on FA and the draft this year. We really don’t have the tools, right now, to run the style offense McDaniel will want to implement. If we can address the glaring holes on that side of the ball there is no reason to believe we can’t win 9-10 games as a baseline. Turning us into a competitive playoff team year 1 is probably a stretch, but crazier things have happened.

IMO a lot depends on FA and the draft this year. We really don’t have the tools, right now, to run the style offense McDaniel will want to implement. If we can address the glaring holes on that side of the ball there is no reason to believe we can’t win 9-10 games as a baseline. Turning us into a competitive playoff team year 1 is probably a stretch, but crazier things have happened.
Dolphins already did that in Sparano's first year as head coach so it could happen with McDaniel

Though I agree that Expectations should be at least 10 wins and finally getting back to the playoffs, there still could be problems beyond McDaniels control in his 1st year to stop those things from happening.

1. Boyer was, and is the D-Coordinator this coming year, but what if Boyer success was due to Flores or Alexander taking control, and the defense horrifically regressed.

2. What if Miami fixes the line, get more reliable receivers, get more consistent and better RBs, but Tua fails to play at a top level or gets seriously injured.

3. Miami continues to have key players go on IR, and be lost for most to the whole season.

4. Some type of unforseen controversy occurs, and it manages to disrupt the season.

Things could happen to McDaniel to make this a tougher season then expected.

*For the record (though I still need to see what Miami does as far as the O-Line), I expect at least 11 wins, Tua proving to be among the top QBs this year, and no big disruptions or injuries to hurt the season.

Though I agree that Expectations should be at least 10 wins and finally getting back to the playoffs, there still could be problems beyond McDaniels control in his 1st year to stop those things from happening.

1. Boyer was, and is the D-Coordinator this coming year, but what if Boyer success was due to Flores or Alexander taking control, and the defense horrifically regressed.

2. What if Miami fixes the line, get more reliable receivers, get more consistent and better RBs, but Tua fails to play at a top level or gets seriously injured.

3. Miami continues to have key players go on IR, and be lost for most to the whole season.

4. Some type of unforseen controversy occurs, and it manages to disrupt the season.

Things could happen to McDaniel to make this a tougher season then expected.

*For the record (though I still need to see what Miami does as far as the O-Line), I expect at least 11 wins, Tua proving to be among the top QBs this year, and no big disruptions or injuries to hurt the season.
:bnkr: You are putting your expectations way too high on Tua

McD is I nheriting a team that has gone 19-12 in the last 31 games, a solid young core that should only get better, much of the defensive coaches retained, roughly $70 mil in free agency, only significant players on expiring contracts are Gesicki and Ogbah in which one or both could easily be retained, tagging one if need be.

McD has a reputation of being an offensive genius and by an overwhelming majority of fans on this site, Flores ineptitude on the offensive side of the ball is what cost Miami the playoffs.

Had Flores stuck around expectations would certainly have been playoffs or the door.

Personally, if Miami doesn’t get into the playoffs this year, depending on the context, I will view McD’s talk much better than his walk.

I don't expect miracles from the first year. With a scheme change I'm sure it will take 1-1.5 seasons to see fruits of their labor. It all really depends on how the current roster can adapt and how long it will take to acclimate to the scheme. I feel free agency AND the draft have to hit on at least 75% of the decisions made. Luckily it appears McDaniel knows what he needs and just needs patience from the fans and Org. because of growing pains.

I feel the past few years were a mirage of sorts. The dolphins benefitted from a weaker schedules and made for false hope and sour grapes when sh*t hit the fan. The moves and support system put in place by McDaniel has my hopes up and I feel "scared" of a let down.

Ultimately I feel the defense will regress but the offense once the team buys into will compensate. I think they will be in the middle of the rankings offensively (18th-20th ranking, improvement) and defensively (12th-15th, small regression) in year 1. I think special teams will be the deciding factor in wins, much like last year but with better results (hopefully)😉. I think it'll be another 9-8 or 10-7 then the year after we see a jump the year after.

It'll be interesting; I think Flores, with what ability he has, probably would top out at an 11 win season, and early round playoff appearances. He just didn't seem to have the acumen for the offense to get much further, especially past KC or Buffalo.
If McDaniel can get this O to a new level while maintaining the defense at a reasonably close level, that will be the big question- how much can McDaniel elevate the offense while not regressing on defense?
I think we will learn a lot about Tua next year also. I think we need to throw out a lot of what we've seen of him in the past and see what we have starting next year. Fan of his or not, I think it's fair and relatively objective to say he wasn't put in a position to be his best, and I'll leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom