FA and Peerless Price? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FA and Peerless Price?

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
:rolleyes:

Ya you keep rolling those eyes. Last year you were here at this time telling us how we were in salary cap hell. Then you shut up right after the Olin contract offer.

What's your excuse going to be this year?

I never shut up after the Kreutz offer. You have your facts wrong

I can support my claims with numbers, you quote someone who's always gonna paint a rosier picture than what really is the truth.

Could you pursue Peerless....yes...absolutely, but it doesn't make sense. Why? Well, how about adding WR Kevin Dyson and OLB Mike Maslowski for roughly the same cost. It's all about the cap....It's different than the acquisiton of RW because Ricky was still on his rookie deal, Peerless Price is looking for Moulds' $$ (6yrs-$40 million with signing bonus around $10 million.....that's a minimum $2.25 million cap hit on 2003).

Ricky's incentives have added approx. $4.25 million to the 2003 cap. The 2003 "debit" for NLTBE is likely to be about $2 million. These 2 points alone place the Fins OVER the 2003 cap by about $2 million. Still need to tender RFAs and EFAs. Now, go ahead, convert salary into signing bonus....that's how John BUTTler got the Bills' into cap hell. I propose that Miami will only be in cap jail :lol:

One option could be to release Zach Thomas. That alone saves $4.7 million OR he could then be re-signed to a new cap friendly deal like Tim Bowens did prior to the 2002 season.

One thing is for sure.......Miami has less cap flexibility than it had last year at this time AND the FA pool is not very deep.

I never shut up after the Kreutz offer. You have your facts wrong

Oh so you admit then that you were wrong about our cap "hell" last year.

I can support my claims with numbers, you quote someone who's always gonna paint a rosier picture than what really is the truth.

I've done numbers with you quite a bit over the last year again I point back to my "you don't listen" statement. I've pointed to you time and again how we are at just under $76 million INCLUDING RICKY'S FIGURES minus RFA's & EFA's. Spielman has yet to lie to us and we trust him throughly. Spielman is probably the most popular guy we have from the coaching through front office ranks. He is no John Butler.

Could you pursue Peerless....yes...absolutely, but it doesn't make sense. Why? Well, how about adding WR Kevin Dyson and OLB Mike Maslowski for roughly the same cost. It's all about the cap....It's different than the acquisiton of RW because Ricky was still on his rookie deal, Peerless Price is looking for Moulds' $$ (6yrs-$40 million with signing bonus around $10 million.....that's a minimum $2.25 million cap hit on 2003).

Did I say anything about Peerless Price? No I think not. I just stated with the obvious choice that we could offer a big money contract. Personally I am with Infinsible on the Randy Thomas, Coles debate.

Ricky's incentives have added approx. $4.25 million to the 2003 cap. The 2003 "debit" for NLTBE is likely to be about $2 million. These 2 points alone place the Fins OVER the 2003 cap by about $2 million. Still need to tender RFAs and EFAs. Now, go ahead, convert salary into signing bonus....that's how John BUTTler got the Bills' into cap hell. I propose that Miami will only be in cap jail

Again I've told you before that Spielman has said we are at just under $76 million COUNTING all of Ricky's incentives. Only additional person on this team that could cost money cause I'm not quite sure how the exclusive free agent terms work is Ogun (still that's what.....1st round tender at $1.5 mill?). Otherwise it's Konrad (FB's don't get big money), Mark Dixon (An oft injured old offensive linemen), Haley (backup DT) and a punter. Otherwise it's all special teams guys and other min wage players. Not exactly threatening.

One option could be to release Zach Thomas. That alone saves $4.7 million OR he could then be re-signed to a new cap friendly deal like Tim Bowens did prior to the 2002 season.

Or they could just extend his current deal like they did with Surtain et al. They are also planning on cutting Ruddy and Rodgers. That is a $2.9 million savings. Resigning a new weakside linebacker will come much cheaper then that and we already have Seth ready to replace Ruddy. They could also cut Dedric Ward or rework McKnight's overpay. With no first or 4th rounder to sign we don't have to worry about draft picks much.

One thing is for sure.......Miami has less cap flexibility than it had last year at this time AND the FA pool is not very deep.

Not at WR but LB and OL offer up enough intriguing possibilities that we could just end up drafting a WR in the 2nd. We will most likely be going after a 2nd tier WLB like Mike Peterson. OL is our priority and pretty much the only position on the line that is safe is RT. The list is pretty solid there. I still fail to see how we are in a tighter spot then last years $18 million over the cap before cuts and signings to this years.

Last edited by a moderator:
$76 million puts you $2.1 million OVER the expected $73.9 million
(as I've already said)

Ok....I admit...last year you weren't in cap hell only cap jail.

Big money deal on the OL Makes sense because that is a higher priority need

Releasing players is fine but ya gotta replace them and that doesn't always mean an improvment and it still counts something vs the cap.

I'll add more after I get off from work

Originally posted by inFINSible
I would like to see Luke Petitgout in a Dolphins uni.........i was watching him yesterday against the niners and he looks exactly like what we need.......He plays mean.

There was one play yesterday where Collins was throwing a quick hitter to Lukes' side of the field and instead of going at the DE's feet to get his hands down, Pettitgout gave him a forearm to the stomach......ooooff!...............it worked.

That's what we need on O........some nastiness.

Yeah, I agree about Luke Pettigout, he would be a great fit at left tackle, he is a nasty player. I played against him in high school. I was a strong safety that blitzed a lot and he was the left tackle for our rivals, I had plenty of collisions with him over a three year span. Flozell Adams and Wayne Gandy would be nice pick ups as well.

David Boston.... yes now that his name has come up... he is exactly what we need... we already have the speedster in Chambers... we need a big strong possesion receiver like Boston...
now that I think about it... I would much rather have Boston then Price...

David Boston is very similar to Owens but the Cardinals will probably tag him.I really don't want to see Dolphins pursuit Dyson because that he is not upgrade over Mcknights but Ike Hilliard is not bad choice(If he can remain healthy).

Without reading ANY post........your cap situation does not allow this luxury. The OL and LBs should and will be the target.

Kevin Dyson could be a more affordable option at WR
after we cut Ruddy and Rodgers and re-negotiate w/a couple of vets, we will have lots of money and no need to sign a #1 pick as well.

I think Price will have great years in front of him. He has done nothing but IMPROVE every year of his career. He is a burner! I would love to have him but will be happy with drafting a WR and going after O-line and LB via FA.

To all the guys droolin over Takeo Spikes, keep dreaming. Cincinatti will tag him. Not even the morons running that franchise will let a top 5 linebacker slip through their fingers. If he does, I'll tell you the Dolphins stand little chance of signing him. As stated earlier, our system revolves around Zach Thomas. The OLBs aren't required to be huge playmakers. You think Takeo Spikes will want to come to a system where he is suppose to funnel running plays to Zach Thomas? Secondly, he is going to want, and will probably get, a freakishly large conract. We can't get him without sacrificing upgrades at other positions.

Now, for the Bills fans who want him so badly. Can you get him? Yes. Should you make a run at him? Probably. However, you have Peerless price as a free agent. You also have A LOT of holes on defense that signing Takeo Spikes won't fix. Could you sign him, and get Peerless Price back, and sign enough quality defenders to get that defense in shape? Thats a little trickier......

Big money deal on the OL Makes sense because that is a higher priority need

Only if we could get Petitgout. Otherwise I would be happier going after Gandy (should cost much less) and plugging in a new guard like Thomas. I still think Nails is a risk to either A) get outta shape again or B) not come back at the same strength he was this year after the injury.

I would give Nails the benefit on the doubt after how well he played this year. I would to see Wanne's plan to sign a LT and re-sign Dixon as an OG come to fruition so that Dixon can backup our new LT

Originally posted by dolphan39
I would give Nails the benefit on the doubt after how well he played this year. I would to see Wanne's plan to sign a LT and re-sign Dixon as an OG come to fruition so that Dixon can backup our new LT

I wouldn't give Nails the benefit of doubt without having a good backup plan. Also Nails is a free agent.

Back
Top Bottom