Fan's infatuation with the wide receivers in the draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fan's infatuation with the wide receivers in the draft

Chase's serious question is... "lay off"? Meaning what, exactly
Many are VERY unhappy that he hasn't played in a year, or have suggested he was hiding from competition... I don't buy a word of that, but they do. Hence, it is a 'serious question' in many minds.

Might be a good idea to demonstrate this trend with some type of data, because I'm here to tell you it's another falsehood. You tend to spit those out left and right.

There were no later round receivers that had more success than Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, Chase Claypool, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shenault, Jalen Raegor, and K.J. Hamler from the 2020 draft. They were all top 50 picks and 6 came off the board in the 1st round. Furthermore, Day 2 has always been a good place to draft WR's and RB's. However, it doesn't mean that the 1st round isn't.

The guy that stands out from that group is Henry Ruggs. The WR I warned everyone was overrated and the 4th best WR on Bama's roster - and was going to be drafted too high because of his speed. Gabriel Davis outperformed him and I had Gabriel Davis ranked significantly higher than Ruggs. Not to mention Justin Jefferson.

Winning organizations understand that the draft is about acquiring the best talent available no matter what position it is. If you're not competing for anything - you don't have any positions that are too good not to address with talent. Even Aaron Rodgers understands that now.

27% of the top 11 highest graded rookie WR's from 2010-2019 were drafted in the 1st Round (Odell Beckham, Mike Evans & Demaryius Thomas)

45% of the top 11 highest graded rookie WR's from 2010-2019 were drafted on Day 2 (Michael Thomas, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, Keenan Allen & Chris Godwin)

In essence, 72% of the highest graded rookie WR's over the past decade were drafted in the top 75 picks - with nearly half of those drafted in the 1st round.

50% of the most receptions in the NFL since 2014 belong to WR's that were selected in the 1st Round:

Mike Evans (532)
Odell Beckham (487)
Brandin Cooks (483)

The other 50% belongs to WR's that were selected in the 2nd Round:

Jarvis Landry (636)
Davante Adams (546)
Allen Robinson (457)

There are outliers like Antonio Brown or Tyreek Hill that came off the board on Day 3, but they make up less than 10% of the big picture. A kid like Hill slid to Day 3 because he wasn't a very good person. Nothing to do with his talent. But when you're that talented even the NFL will only let you slide so far.

The rest of your post is fairly decent. Pitts is the best player in the draft and Day 2 is always a good place to snare top notch skill position talent that teams let slide out of the 1st round because they were all busy drafting Penei Sewell's.

My point is that you have to play your cards right. I didn't specifically mention who we should draft but our needs go way beyond getting someone that has unique speed and pass catching capabilities. I did mention that there is depth for certain positions that could wait for the 2nd round. Picking a receiver in the first day or a runningback isnt going to change our situation. But if we want the most skilled player at his position at either rb, or receiver would be a waste of a pick in the 1st round as there are talented players that will be there.

Well of course you didnt. At this point, Im not even sure if you're trolling or if you flat out just dont understand why your claim doesnt make any sense.

This is like saying you're not very likely to find a rich person in Silicon Valley because 99% of rich people on planet earth dont live there. Its a stupid argument to make and I dont even need data to know you're either full of **** or flat out clueless...?
You need to cool it bro that is all Im going to tell you. You can choose to post in my thread or you dont. Now you are taking things too left. I dont come in your threads with that tone.

Many are VERY unhappy that he hasn't played in a year, or have suggested he was hiding from competition... I don't buy a word of that, but they do. Hence, it is a 'serious question' in many minds.

I haven't seen this argument made by reputable sources nor do I really think front offices are taking that seriously so I would feel pretty confident its a small group of fans

I haven't seen this argument made by reputable sources nor do I really think front offices are taking that seriously so I would feel pretty confident its a small group of fans
I would suspect that you are correct, Front Offices are much smarter than FH posters who say these stupid, stupid things.

You need to cool it bro that is all Im going to tell you. You can choose to post in my thread or you dont. Now you are taking things too left. I dont come in your threads with that tone.
lol! last thread you started I questioned your motives and your response was:

Do you think I purposely used the 1st round worth to gather a specific reaction?

Kind of weird that you start threads specifically to get reactions and cry foul when you get reactions.

Just as the offensive weapons have serious questions... Smith size, Sewell and Chase... lay-off, Waddle injury.
All players have question marks. I was speaking primarily about character, work ethic and off the field stuff. Those were the questions I was referring to.

All players have question marks. I was speaking primarily about character, work ethic and off the field stuff. Those were the questions I was referring to.
Gotcha... but off those Penn State workouts... I don't think work ethic is a question... right?

Meanwhile, the 'bama boys all refused to work out.

Gotcha... but off those Penn State workouts... I don't think work ethic is a question... right?

I get what your saying, but No, not necessarily. A player can have a great GYM workout mentality but have a bad “lunch pale” work ethic mentality. I don’t profess to know one way or another about the Penn State guys, only going off some things I’ve read and heard. As far as the Bama boys go, you can rest assured they do have a great work ethic bc Nick won’t tolerate anything less. Wether a player works out for a combine or a pro day doesn’t in and of itself prove anything to me. We see the same thing EVERY year this time.

So many players are swayed by their agents to NOT work out for these events bc they aren’t as great at those as they are actually playing the game. If it could hurt their draft status, they stay away from it. Conversely, some guys are great at these events, and it helps their draft status, so they can’t wait to do them.

I get what your saying, but No, not necessarily. A player can have a great GYM workout mentality but have a bad “lunch pale” work ethic mentality. I don’t profess to know one way or another about the Penn State guys, only going off some things I’ve read and heard. As far as the Bama boys go, you can rest assured they do have a great work ethic bc Nick won’t tolerate anything less. Wether a player works out for a combine or a pro day doesn’t in and of itself prove anything to me. We see the same thing EVERY year this time.
Guys who duck workouts... are hiding something, lazy, or injured, every time.

We've seen this over and over again.

In Waddle's case, the fear is that 1) he is still injured or 2) his injury has lead to him being in less than peak shape so he won't run well.

In Smith's case, he has avoided being weighed for months and there are very real worries that he played way below the 175lbs that Alabama lied about in their program, and now that he's trying to gain weight, he has slipped a bit in his 40 time... that would be devastating to his hopes of being selected in the top 10.

Harris probably won't run well, his game is more power based.

All three of them are ducking this... and it's a bad look.

I think they should make the following changes to the Combine.

You get sent home the moment you refuse a drill (barring a medical waiver).

You don't run, sorry son, you're done here. The combine is for running.
You don't jump, sorry son... don't let the door hit you.
You don't lift... see ya.

This would end the games.

"Too early" and "value" are kinda out the window because of their positioning.

These things are also out the window because they’re subjective opinion. Not stone cold facts.

He and many others don’t value any of these receivers — or possibly the position in general — whereas many others do.

I’ll argue that this guy isn’t watching the same evolving NFL that I’ve been watching the past 15 years and certainly wasn’t paying enough attention to the Miami Dolphins biggest weaknesses this past season.

I mean, there are fans crazily hoping for defense with 3 and/or 18 despite already having a top 5 defense. And while clearly lacking much offense.

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
This may be an unpopular opinion.

There is no "c" in infatuation.
lol ... And "specially" is spelled with an E... Especially ...drives me nuts lol... but I realize some peeps are from outside the USA so I take it with a grain of salt ... not trying to police grammar but thought I would chime in since the subject was brought up :chuckle:

.I'm of the belief ... If your guy is available but overvalued and you can't trade back you pick him .... otherwise the risk is obvious. If a player is coveted and you have a shot to get him you just do it.

Rankings and value charts are great guidelines and shouldn't be ignored but they are not the be all end all IMO.

I'm in the camp of Parsons @3 and a trade up from 18 to snag an offensive weapon. A trade back from 3 to 5ish may give us the extra bounty needed to get back in the top 10 from 18 ....

Having said that, I think we ALL want to see 2 impact STARTERS coming from our 1st round selections be it O or D ....

Build the TEAM ... the QB will follow

Don't ignore adding a (it's all potential at this point) play maker to a defense that was pretty good last season ,,, the offense needs the most help IMO but the D may be a play maker away from being pretty good to damn good.

Also, current starters on our team who are in a contract year can't be overlooked. If MG is an integral part of our offense and we don't add a potential star there then the following season will be all about replacing that piece with an over paid FA or drafting a player and hoping he becomes what you want (in a couple years) ... meanwhile your O takes a step back. Replacing parts ahead of the curve instead of behind it would be a great place for the Dolphins to be after years of mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom