Favre move desperate one for Mangini, Jets | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Favre move desperate one for Mangini, Jets

Dolphan7

Desert Dolphin
Club Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=ms-favretojets080708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

All of this is theoretically a good thing, at least in the short term. But in the wake of the trade for Favre, which reportedly could cost the Jets as much as a first-round draft pick in ‘09 (though short of a Super Bowl berth, the most New York would pay is a second-rounder), I wonder whether this was a shrewd move by a team on the verge of contention or a wild swing in the dark by two men (Mangini and Tannenbaum) in the process of losing a bloody bar fight.
When you break it down, are the Jets really a team that can ride the acquisition of a premier quarterback, albeit an aging one, to immediate success?
I listened to Broadway Brett's press conference and this is what I took away from his words, and his body language:

1. I don't think he is really sure he can do this. With answers like "I think so", doesn't sound very convincing to me.

2. With his comments about going to a division rival for vindictiveness, tells me he really thought he would be going to the Vikings, where he really wanted to be. Now he is on the Jets. I think he is feeling let down.

3. I don't think he has handled this whole un-retired thing and this is just the latest of many mistakes he has made these last few months. I don't think he thinks things through. And I just wonder if one day he will wake up ans ask himself what the heck is he doing in NY playing for a 4-12 team instead of enjoying his retirement.

I know that Jet fans are loving this move right now, and rightfully so. However, I have a feeling that deep down this is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the Jets and Favre. I hope Mangini and Tannebaum did their homework, because if this season flops, their careers in New York are done.

I know that Jet fans are loving this move right now, and rightfully so. However, I have a feeling that deep down this is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the Jets and Favre. I hope Mangini and Tannebaum did their homework, because if this season flops, their careers in New York are done.
How many times has it been said, You can't buy a Super Bowl. Even the Yankees couldn't buy a WS.

I agree. If Bret plays like he did the 2 years previous to last year the NY media will tear him up. He won't have the GB favortism and he don't seem to be able to handle rejection well. Favre will have to learn a new system, players, and opposing teams schemes and players. Playing 16 years in 1 division you know the other teams and players better and he will be in a whole new league in the AFC.

This is not much different than what we're trying to do here in Miami by hopefully bringing in Penny. When you have a chance to upgrade a particular position, especially the most important position on the field & at a minimal cost, you do it.

The big difference in NY is the media frenzy this Favre thing will create. Possible distraction.

of course its desperation, everything they have done this offseason has been desperation, his jobs on the line and he knows it.

I agree, this move by the Jets does seem desperate. That is why I am happy with our front office. It may be frustrating for us fans, but the patience the by FO is a breat of fresh air, and I for one have been in favor of all their decisions.

This is not much different than what we're trying to do here in Miami by hopefully bringing in Penny. When you have a chance to upgrade a particular position, especially the most important position on the field & at a minimal cost, you do it.

The big difference in NY is the media frenzy this Favre thing will create. Possible distraction.
It is totally differant. We are getting young and just looking for a veteran stop gap. The Jets have traded picks and signed 10-15 players over 30 and we free up cap while they see how far over they can get. Totally differant directions we're on.

It is totally differant. We are gettin g young and just looking for a veteran stop gap. The Jets have traded picks and signed 10-15 players over 30 and we free up cap while they see how far over they can get. Totally differant directions we're on.

that's true desperate teams don't unload Zach and JT...

Its way different, Penny would be coming here to not win a superbowl but to keep Henne on the bench. Without Penny they have no choice but to start Henne, who else are they gonna start Beck or Mccown? Neither which can seem to seperate themselves from the rookie. Henne needs to sit and bringing Penny to Miami allows him to do just that without a competition. Its a nice way of saying to Henne "we had no intentions of starting you this year because we want you to learn, but since our other 2 shmucks couldnt beat you we need to bring in someone to beat you by default"
Jets intentions are to win now now now, or Mangini is gone gone gone.

Call it whatever you want.

The fact remains that Favre is a major upgrade over both Chad and Clemens any way you want to slice it.

Can you honestly think of a better 1-2 year stopgap than Brett Favre?

If having Favre starting for the Jets doesn't scare you just a little, then your simply a homer of the highest degree.

The Jets are going to have to search for a young, franchise QB regardless. Even if we stuck with Chad/Clemens, neither of them seem to be the answer long term (especially Pennington) and we'd be looking for an heir apparent anyway. Atleast Favre gives us a potential two year shot at a championship while we continue the search.

Its way different, Penny would be coming here to not win a superbowl but to keep Henne on the bench. Without Penny they have no choice but to start Henne, who else are they gonna start Beck or Mccown? Neither which can seem to seperate themselves from the rookie. Henne needs to sit and bringing Penny to Miami allows him to do just that without a competition. Its a nice way of saying to Henne "we had no intentions of starting you this year because we want you to learn, but since our other 2 shmucks couldnt beat you we need to bring in someone to beat you by default"
Jets intentions are to win now now now, or Mangini is gone gone gone.
Must be nice, being able to sit and learn, too bad Beck wasn't given the same opportunity.

It is totally differant. We are getting young and just looking for a veteran stop gap. The Jets have traded picks and signed 10-15 players over 30 and we free up cap while they see how far over they can get. Totally differant directions we're on.
Well now, if you're talking about overpaying for over-the-hill linemen, unproven lb-ers(who alot of people on this site LOVED before turning us down ;)), and other similar moves, I agree completely.

I thought we were just talking about paying a 3rd(at most) for a future HOF qb that improves your offense.

Must be nice, being able to sit and learn, too bad Beck wasn't given the same opportunity.
it must be nice, but the bottom line is that Beck was never there guy, they chose Henne. They dont have any ties to Beck other than he was left over from last seasons hangover. The only reason he is even on the roster is because the Cameron wasted "the teams" 2nd round pick. Of course they arnt just gonna give it the old heave ho, they would like to say we gave him a look but its not there mistake in taking him, all signs point to the teams displeasure with him from the get go. Maybe they think he can be a good back up who knows. But you dont waste a 2nd round pick on a QB unless you have negative feelings toward what already is there.

Well now, if you're talking about overpaying for over-the-hill linemen, unproven lb-ers(who alot of people on this site LOVED before turning us down ;)), and other similar moves, I agree completely.

I thought we were just talking about paying a 3rd(at most) for a future HOF qb that improves your offense.
I never got on the Pace band wagon and still say Gholston will be a bust. I'll take a young Smiley over an old Faneca. I don't know what you are talking about the 3rd for a HOF QB but Trent Green was the last we traded for and that regime is gone. Thank god.

Back
Top Bottom