Favre move desperate one for Mangini, Jets | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Favre move desperate one for Mangini, Jets

I agree with what most of you have to say.

Keep in mind Brett Favre turns 39 next month. He threw more INT's than TD's 2 & 3 yrs ago. Given last year was special as he played like he was in his prime, but I think that had to do more with the fact that everyone around him thought he would be retiring.

This is going to be a disastreous move for both the Jets and Favre. It just seems to me that Favre doesn;t really want to be a jet, but ultimatley had no choice.

I wanted to contiue seeing Brett Favre play, but rather in a Packer or another team's uniform, but not the Jets. Brett is a classy guy, it's difficult to hate him, but I will hate anyone on the Jets.

Football is not a game where you can play when your heart and mind aren't in it, I would hope his desire to keep playing the game would outweigh any skepticism in joining the Jets. The man has been trated like a King the last 2 days here and seems to be enjoying it. When he steps out on the field and sees a good team he'll be playing w/ and a chance to add to his legacy he'll be fine.

Football is not a game where you can play when your heart and mind aren't in it, I would hope his desire to keep playing the game would outweigh any skepticism in joining the Jets. The man has been trated like a King the last 2 days here and seems to be enjoying it. When he steps out on the field and sees a good team he'll be playing w/ and a chance to add to his legacy he'll be fine.
some times its not always about going out in the offseason and grabbing every big time free agent and throwing them all together to hope they mesh. Dont be surprised if they suck.

Alan faneca is unproven? Kris jenkins is unproven? Brett Favre is unproven? Woody is unproven at RT and Pace could be a 1 year wonder(though parcells desperately wanted him) but I think we got more proven than unproven and we are alot better today than we have been since '04.
What have they done on your team? What did Jenkins do here in Carolina the last 2-3 years? Don't even try to lie on that last one.Yes woody is unproven on your team and Pace is yet to show any cosistancy in the NFL and had only 1 good year to start with. Go blow smoke up your own homers tail because we aren't buying it.:up:

some times its not always about going out in the offseason and grabbing every big time free agent and throwing them all together to hope they mesh. Dont be surprised if they suck.

If that's all we have been doing for years I'd agree but we have built an excellent young core of players and added vets to compliment them. This is not an every year thing like the skins most of this decade, this was aone time thing filling some big holes w/ really good players.

What have they done on your team? What did Jenkins do here in Carolina the last 2-3 years? Don't even try to lie on that last one.Yes woody is unproven on your team and Pace is yet to show any cosistancy in the NFL and had only 1 good year to start with. Go blow smoke up your own homers tail because we aren't buying it.:up:

They haven't played on our team yet. You have an avatar of a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL let alone for your team and I'm sure you think he's going to be good.

The difference between us and a team like the Skins is we went out and not only found all-pro talent, but all-pro talent that fits what we're trying to do.

Washington goes out and spends truckloads on big name guys who simply fit their makeup like a square peg in a round hole (Archuleta, Carter, Randle El, Lloyd, etc).

We had a 310 lb Dewayne Robertson playing the nose the past two years and he was routinely thrown around like a ragdoll. We now have a 360 lb Kris Jenkins (down from over 390 last season) who has looked like a beast in camp and last night in limited action against Cleveland. Having a quality two gapping NT is essential to having success in the 3-4 defense.

If Jenkins and Pace can play up to par, our defense could be off the charts. David Harris is a stud at ILB and Rhodes/Revis are two bonafide playmakers in the secondary. If Gholston/Pace/Thomas can boost a lackluster passrush, we could be in business.

Having a defense like this is perfect for a guy like Favre. He loves to take chances and that leads to turnovers (as well as big plays). Hopefully our defense can play smashmouth football and bail Favre out of those situations.

They haven't played on our team yet. You have an avatar of a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL let alone for your team and I'm sure you think he's going to be good.
I'm not predicting the future am I now? You pups can get excited and wag your little tails all you want but nobody cares. Your team has no cap, Won't have no cap, and gave away picks for cast off losers past their prime. We spent money on big names for 10 straight years as did, Washington, Dallas, and many others and your team is no differant. Even if those guys do play to their pay they will never win the big one anyway.

BTW, If you guys thing Clemens is going to learn anything from FAV-re you better ask Aaron Rodgers how much Bret helped him. Bret is playing 1 year and you guys may win 1-2 more games than last but team continuity between all those new guys will take at least 2 year.

The difference between us and a team like the Skins is we went out and not only found all-pro talent, but all-pro talent that fits what we're trying to do.

Washington goes out and spends truckloads on big name guys who simply fit their makeup like a square peg in a round hole (Archuleta, Carter, Randle El, Lloyd, etc).

We had a 310 lb Dewayne Robertson playing the nose the past two years and he was routinely thrown around like a ragdoll. We now have a 360 lb Kris Jenkins (down from over 390 last season) who has looked like a beast in camp and last night in limited action against Cleveland. Having a quality two gapping NT is essential to having success in the 3-4 defense.

If Jenkins and Pace can play up to par, our defense could be off the charts. David Harris is a stud at ILB and Rhodes/Revis are two bonafide playmakers in the secondary. If Gholston/Pace/Thomas can boost a lackluster passrush, we could be in business.

Having a defense like this is perfect for a guy like Favre. He loves to take chances and that leads to turnovers (as well as big plays). Hopefully our defense can play smashmouth football and bail Favre out of those situations.
Listen im not saying that its wrong im just saying ive seen this approach before and it sometimes turns out horrible, do i think thats gonna happen, no actually i think the jets will sneak into the playoffs. Anything could happen i was just making conversation thats all.

Listen im not saying that its wrong im just saying ive seen this approach before and it sometimes turns out horrible, do i think thats gonna happen, no actually i think the jets will sneak into the playoffs. Anything could happen i was just making conversation thats all.

I can see where you're coming from. There are teams who have made a habit out of spending top dollar on FA's and it comes back to haunt them.

But everyone the Jets signed is a definite upgrade at their respective positions. No one can tell me that Faneca, a 7 time pro-bowler, isn't a huge upgrade over Adrien Clarke who we signed from Philly's practice squad last year. Damien Woody isn't what he once was with the Pats, but you simply can't play RT at a lower level than Anthony Clement did last season.

Robertson was a solid 3-tech when we ran the 4-3 but he completely blew as a NT in Mangini's 3-4. Jenkins with his size and strength alone presents an upgrade.

The only move we made that makes me feel uneasy is Pace and I think I speak for a lot of Jets fans on this one. We made him the highest paid LB in the league, yet he was known as a bust up until Arizona switched to the 3-4 last year. This is the move I could see backfiring, but even if it does, we still have Gholston and Bryan Thomas to hold the fort on the outside.

As for Brett, it comes with some risk, but as soon as this trade was consumated he became the best Jets QB since Namath over 30 years ago. You guys had the benefit of watching Marino over a 15 year span. Most Jets fans have only the memories of Ken O'Brien or Vinny friggin Testaverde leading the way. Even though we'll only get two years tops out of Favre, it will still most likely be one helluva ride for those two years.

Favre is a great player, and he'll likely play pretty well in NY. That said, there's no way that team gets deep into the playoffs. There are going to be alot of disappointed Jet fans at the end of the regular season. It's going to be great.:sidelol:

What is desperate about trading for arguably the greatest Qb to ever play the game?

Especially when the team hasnt had a legitimate QB since Joe Namath.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=ms-favretojets080708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I listened to Broadway Brett's press conference and this is what I took away from his words, and his body language:

1. I don't think he is really sure he can do this. With answers like "I think so", doesn't sound very convincing to me.

2. With his comments about going to a division rival for vindictiveness, tells me he really thought he would be going to the Vikings, where he really wanted to be. Now he is on the Jets. I think he is feeling let down.

3. I don't think he has handled this whole un-retired thing and this is just the latest of many mistakes he has made these last few months. I don't think he thinks things through. And I just wonder if one day he will wake up ans ask himself what the heck is he doing in NY playing for a 4-12 team instead of enjoying his retirement.

I think he's an aging QB that didn't want to go through training camp, and thats a bad sign.

It could work, but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom