Feeley set to 'Brees' into playoffs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley set to 'Brees' into playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrAstroZoom said:
Ok ... that's better.

You make an interesting point in comparing Brees's '03 numbers to Feeley's '04 numbers, but the only piece of strong evidence you give that these two players' careers will run parallel is the Hudson Houck factor. While I agree our O-line play will improve (and Feeley's game should improve as a result), that's about the only piece of definitive evidence you offer.

Thanks for the response!

I feel they are in extremely similar situations... O-line getting reshaped by Houck, similar back to offset the pass, and numbers that were soooo alike it's hard to dismiss.

Obviously, they are different players with different strengths and weaknesses, but I see a lot of similarities, so I find it interesting to compare the two.

You make an interesting point in comparing Brees's '03 numbers to Feeley's '04 numbers, but the only piece of strong evidence you give that these two players' careers will run parallel is the Hudson Houck factor.

Another point, look at the Lions. Matt M. made a point of drafting linemen in his first draft as GM. Then he added skill, skill, and more skill. For the Phins, the lineman have already been drafted, Saban is in the process of adding skill, skill, and more skill.

The X factor is coaching, the Lions despite Matt M. drafting sucked. Then Matt hired Steve M. and the Lions have shown some fight. Could hiring Saban have the same effect?

rafael said:
Your argument is based on the assumption that Brees and AJ are equivalent players and that since the complementing parts may be receiving similar upgrades the results will be similar. I disagree b/c I disagree with the base assumption. I don't see AJ as a guy who can make the play on his own. That's what Brees did last year when the other parts didn't work (player or coaching error).

Hey, thanks for the post.

I don't feel they are equivalent players, just in extremely similar environments. I'm using that as the base, to predict the outcome of this year.

I'm curious in what you mean by Brees making the play on his own. Do you mean by scrambling in the pocket, rushing on his own, fitting a pass in to an unassigned receiver/TE, ...? Also, what makes you feel Feeley is incapable of it?

I'm honestly not sold one way or the other on Feeley, I'm just trying to compare him as a product of this new system vs. Brees as a product of the '04 revamped system. If Feeley bombs (or doesn't play as well as Frerotte, for that matter) , I'd be the first to say put Frerotte in there... especially since Gus has experience in Linehan's system.

NorFlaFin said:
You make an interesting point in comparing Brees's '03 numbers to Feeley's '04 numbers, but the only piece of strong evidence you give that these two players' careers will run parallel is the Hudson Houck factor.

Another point, look at the Lions. Matt M. made a point of drafting linemen in his first draft as GM. Then he added skill, skill, and more skill. For the Phins, the lineman have already been drafted, Saban is in the process of adding skill, skill, and more skill.

The X factor is coaching, the Lions despite Matt M. drafting sucked. Then Matt hired Steve M. and the Lions have shown some fight. Could hiring Saban have the same effect?

Can coaching affect the entire team's play? Absolutely.

I'm convinced that given last year's players (even sans Ricky, Boston, etc.), I feel we would have done much better if we'd had Saban, Houck, and Linehan. I'm not saying we would have made the playoffs or anything, but we would have been a great deal better than 4-12.

rafael said:
Your argument is based on the assumption that Brees and AJ are equivalent players and that since the complementing parts may be receiving similar upgrades the results will be similar. I disagree b/c I disagree with the base assumption. I don't see AJ as a guy who can make the play on his own. That's what Brees did last year when the other parts didn't work (player or coaching error).

Just to put things into perspective.

Brees wasn't even able to do that until last year.

GRYPHONK said:

I agree!

I think it's because of his surroundings that he was able to succeed. Let's face it... the majority of quarterbacks cannot succeed with the kind of pressure that Feeley '04 and Brees '03 were facing. Yet, look at the huge turnaround that occurred when the only things that changed were the O-line and one good passer added.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
Hey, thanks for the post.

I don't feel they are equivalent players, just in extremely similar environments. I'm using that as the base, to predict the outcome of this year.

I'm curious in what you mean by Brees making the play on his own. Do you mean by scrambling in the pocket, rushing on his own, fitting a pass in to an unassigned receiver/TE, ...? Also, what makes you feel Feeley is incapable of it?

I'm honestly not sold one way or the other on Feeley, I'm just trying to compare him as a product of this new system vs. Brees as a product of the '04 revamped system. If Feeley bombs (or doesn't play as well as Frerotte, for that matter) , I'd be the first to say put Frerotte in there... especially since Gus has experience in Linehan's system.

By "making the play on his own" I mean making the proper adjustment when the called play doesn't go as planned. Different QBs do this differently. Some will scramble to buy more time. Some will be able to either anticipate how the D responds (pre-snap read) or just adjust quickly once the play starts, etc. In my observation of AJ, I don't see him do any of these things. He has enough talent to make the pass when everything goes as planned, but not when there's a breakdown. He seems to lack pocket feel. Has no scrambling ability. Can't seem to anticipate the D pre-snap. He'll often birddog a rec. I've never seen him look off a defender. He seems to lack that playmaking instinct. And while he has some passing ability, he doesn't have that Marinoesque talent where he can make the wrong read but still complete the pass.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
It was edited, genius, but the tables were automatically reformatted. Take a look at the link if you don't believe me.

wow, sorry if I hit a nerve. Thanks for the link...:)

GRYPHONK said:

Agreed, but he was able to do that in college. I haven't seen any evidence that AJ can do that at any level.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
Hey Slappy,

I'm in Sussex County, around the Newton area (if you're familiar with it).

My wife and kids are in Newton right now at a friends house getting there hair cut!

Like you article, but really think Feeley is nothing more then a bellow to average QB, maybe he will prove me wrong.

rafael said:
By "making the play on his own" I mean making the proper adjustment when the called play doesn't go as planned. Different QBs do this differently. Some will scramble to buy more time. Some will be able to either anticipate how the D responds (pre-snap read) or just adjust quickly once the play starts, etc. In my observation of AJ, I don't see him do any of these things. He has enough talent to make the pass when everything goes as planned, but not when there's a breakdown. He seems to lack pocket feel. Has no scrambling ability. Can't seem to anticipate the D pre-snap. He'll often birddog a rec. I've never seen him look off a defender. He seems to lack that playmaking instinct. And while he has some passing ability, he doesn't have that Marinoesque talent where he can make the wrong read but still complete the pass.

While I have no doubt that he is not even close to Marino talent-wise (who is... maybe Peyton, but that's it today), I still don't think all of those qualities can be judged based on last year alone.

However, if he still makes those mistakes given an upgraded O-line and better offensive system, then he should be tossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom