Feeley set to 'Brees' into playoffs? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Feeley set to 'Brees' into playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NJFINSFAN1 said:
My wife and kids are in Newton right now at a friends house getting there hair cut!

Like you article, but really think Feeley is nothing more then a bellow to average QB, maybe he will prove me wrong.

Small world. :)

I hope so, but I'm more concerned with either Feeley or Frerotte helping the Dolphins to win. As long as it happens, I don't care who's at the helm.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
While I have no doubt that he is not even close to Marino talent-wise (who is... maybe Peyton, but that's it today), I still don't think all of those qualities can be judged based on last year alone.

However, if he still makes those mistakes given an upgraded O-line and better offensive system, then he should be tossed.

I don't expect him to be Marino. I was just illustrating that there are different ways to be successful in adverse conditions. I haven't seen AJ display any of those traits.

My observations aren't based on just last season. I also watched two of his games when he was with Philly. This is clearly less than what RS watched before he traded for him so maybe AJ displayed those traits at some other point and Saban or Linehan can bring them to the surface. I'm just saying that in my observation (I hope I'm wrong) I haven't seen that spark that separates a good QB from the guy who just isn't good enough.

rafael said:
I don't expect him to be Marino. I was just illustrating that there are different ways to be successful in adverse conditions. I haven't seen AJ display any of those traits.

My observations aren't based on just last season. I also watched two of his games when he was with Philly. This is clearly less than what RS watched before he traded for him so maybe AJ displayed those traits at some other point and Saban or Linehan can bring them to the surface. I'm just saying that in my observation (I hope I'm wrong) I haven't seen that spark that separates a good QB from the guy who just isn't good enough.

I need to see him this year to make up my mind. I saw him do well in Philly, but that was a part time role in a good system, so who knows.

I'm actually pretty good with the QB situation. If Feeley steps it up behind improved OL play and running attack lead by Brown, then we are good to go. If he struggles again, then Gus takes over for the year and we look at getting a new QB in 2006.

Just knowing that it won't be another Wanny-loves-Fielder situation, where an average QB is kept around for FOUR years (two years too long) hoping he plays just good enough to get by? That feels good. Saban will have Feeley on a short leash, though I should say I expect the team to struggle a bit the first half of the season anyway. New coaches, more new players than normal, and new defensive and offensive systems. I'm okay with that, as long as the team shows improvement as the season goes on. Slow start, strong finish.

The argument is an interesting one, but like Doc said, the only thing that really ties it together is Hudson Houck. Aside from that, you could argue that any crappy QB could turn into Brees.

I'd note one significant difference: Brees was going into his third full year as a starter (maybe it was his fourth), at age 25 or 26, but in any event, that's the time when many QBs make a leap. I think AJ's biggest problem is that he'll be 28, and though he hasn't started much, the fact is that, at this point, he is what he is. That's what I'm afraid of.

AJ didn't perform nearly as well as Brees when he had a great cast around him in Philly. Feeley will have a new system to learn. I doubt he'll even be in the middle of the league in the qb rankings. He doesn't even have the job secured yet. Like some people here say, AJ tends to suck at camp. I wonder if that's gonna be a factor in Saban choosing the starter.

Justasportsfan said:
AJ didn't perform nearly as well as Brees when he had a great cast around him in Philly. Feeley will have a new system to learn. I doubt he'll even be in the middle of the league in the qb rankings. He doesn't even have the job secured yet. Like some people here say, AJ tends to suck at camp. I wonder if that's gonna be a factor in Saban choosing the starter.
I didn't know Brees played for Philly. :lol:

phunwin said:
The argument is an interesting one, but like Doc said, the only thing that really ties it together is Hudson Houck. Aside from that, you could argue that any crappy QB could turn into Brees.

I'd note one significant difference: Brees was going into his third full year as a starter (maybe it was his fourth), at age 25 or 26, but in any event, that's the time when many QBs make a leap. I think AJ's biggest problem is that he'll be 28, and though he hasn't started much, the fact is that, at this point, he is what he is. That's what I'm afraid of.

Hey Phunwin,

What I've been trying to get across is the similarity in situations, not necessarily the players. Both were in offenses with a complete lack of protection, and showed nearly identical numbers. Now, it appears Feeley will be in a very similar offensive system as the one Brees' was in during his breakout season. That's the main similarity.

The acquisition of Houck was thrown in to show the improvement in the line. I mean to show that since he was able to mold them there, he will most likely be able to do the same here, thus giving Feeley an excellent chance of improving, much like Brees did.

As for the age factor, I think the # of years playing/starting are more important than the age (given the fact that they're both in their twenties). I can't see a QB that's 25 or 26 having much advantage over one that's 28, all other things even. Now, if the position were running back or something more physically demanding, I'd be more inclined to agree.

Thanks for the feedback!

Justasportsfan said:

I didn't watch all of his performances in Philly, but what I saw was very good. However, I also don't think that's an 'apples to apples' comparison, as:

• The SD running game (Tomlinson/Chatman) was much better than the Philly one
  • Gates is a far better receiver than anyone on Philly that year (Stinkston, Trash)
  • That was Brees' 3rd consecutive year as the starting QB, whereas Feeley just came in, as 3rd string, to cover for a few sporadic games. The difference in preparation and experience there is tremendous.
One very good point that you make, though, is Feeley having to learn a new offensive system. Brees, as I mentioned, had 3 years to learn the system, whereas Feeley has this offseason to learn Linehan's.

Excellent point, my friend... especially for a Bills fan. j/k hehe

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
Hey Fellow Fin Fans,

Yesterday, I wrote & posted the following article on my website. I'm interested in your opinions on my theory.

Please note: I'd appreciate it if people kept intelligence in this thread, rather than just throw out a "Feeley sucks..." with nothing to back it up. I welcome differing opinions, but would like a valid argument to be included.

Thanks everyone!

Feeley Set to 'Brees' into Playoffs?
(posted: 4-28-2005)

Comparing A.J. Feeley to Drew Brees may seem ridiculous at first, but...

clear.gif
Lemme tell you something!!!

http://www.chrisbetts.com/nfl.htm
http://www.chrisbetts.com/nfl.htm

You make some good points................................................

EXCEPT BREES CAN THROW FOR OVER 20 YARDS

PatsSuck456 said:
You make some good points................................................

EXCEPT BREES CAN THROW FOR OVER 20 YARDS

Brees didn't have Wannstedt calling in the run, run, pass every drive. Big difference. It's all about the system, my friend. Proof: Tom Brady. Is he the best QB in the NFL right now? Many "experts" say yes, I say no... I believe Peyton Manning is.

Before all the Pats fans start b1tching and moaning, I'll say this: Brady is a very good quarterback, but the amazing system he's in makes him look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom