Fiedler Ranked 20th in AFC...and there's only 16 teams!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Ranked 20th in AFC...and there's only 16 teams!!!

Originally posted by Jimmy James

This great Defense that Jay has also gets steamrolled on occasion. In fact, that tends to happen often toward the end of the season according to most of what I recall reading. I admit I haven't done the research myself -- I'd actually be interested to know if that is indeed true.

Anyway, what we have to compare are statistics. In 1990, Miami's defense was 4th in points against and 8th in yardage. Jay has had a defense ranked:

2000 - 3rd and 6th
2001 - 11th and 5th
2002 - 4th and 3rd

I really don't mean to knock Dan, but if it really were as simple as good D + good QB = championship, 1990 was Miami's. The reality of the NFL, particularly in this day and age, is far more difficult to boil down to a formula.

In 1990 we had a decent team, but against the NFL's elite - Buffalo, NY Giants, Washington - we would lose. It was one of our better teams in recent history (maybe the 1994 team was better). But when it counted, we lost at Buffalo in the championship game 44-34. You can definitely blame the defense for that loss, not Marino.

I really think we would have won the Super Bowl in 2000 if we got past the Raiders in Oakland. That INT that Jay threw killed the game and ended our season. If we win that game, we'd beat Baltimore and eventually the Giants.

I hated that Oakland game and that interception, but I don't know that I could say that team beats Baltimore. I have a feeling that it would have been a classic, though.

Originally posted by Unconquered
He'll throw more int's than td's this week against the Cowgirls.

I promise.

from the tone of your post, it seems as though you WANT for it to happen...or at least you're setting yourself up to tell everyone you are right.

let me ask you this: would you prefer to see jay play well and miami get a win, while eating a bit of humble pie? or would you rather see jay play poorly, miami lose, and be right? i think i already know the answer...

I hated that Oakland game and that interception, but I don't know that I could say that team beats Baltimore. I have a feeling that it would have been a classic, though.

What do you mean? We would have been at home and we had already beat the Ravens earlier in the season - 19-6. That was our year!!!

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

from the tone of your post, it seems as though you WANT for it to happen...or at least you're setting yourself up to tell everyone you are right.

let me ask you this: would you prefer to see jay play well and miami get a win, while eating a bit of humble pie? or would you rather see jay play poorly, miami lose, and be right? i think i already know the answer...

I am with you - I want a Miami win whether it's Griese, Fiedler, Rosenfels, or even Steve DeBerg at QB!! Where's Bernie Kosar when you need him?!?

That Ravens team had serious momentum by that point. They weren't the same team we defeated earlier. I mean, we're talking about a week 3 game with a QB who got benched for being grossly ineffective. Jamal "better than Priest Holmes at the time" Lewis was a rookie and got all of 9 carries in the game.

While wer're talking about the Ravens, I would caution the fine people picking out our next QB to choose more wisely than the Ravens did in 2001. I'd hate to see us replace Fiedler with an "upgrade" that ended up being a downgrade.

Steve DeBerg was a tough SOB on the level of Fiedler. I still remember that game when he was with KC where he broke a finger (I think) and played the rest of the game by taking shotgun snaps. Now that's a QB!

I really believe if we upgrade our O-line and give him another season to work with the WRs, that Griese will be an effective QB for us. His style of play requires a top notch O-line, like he had in Denver. Unfortunately, we have nothing close to that line, which is why Fiedler is the short term solution.

Originally posted by SDFinFan
I really believe if we upgrade our O-line and give him another season to work with the WRs, that Griese will be an effective QB for us. His style of play requires a top notch O-line, like he had in Denver. Unfortunately, we have nothing close to that line, which is why Fiedler is the short term solution.

meh...even the best O-line cant keep guys off the qb on every snap, and griese is prone to putting it on the turf. i'd rather go after couch.

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

meh...even the best O-line cant keep guys off the qb on every snap, and griese is prone to putting it on the turf. i'd rather go after couch.

Couch? He is horrible!!! He just stares down WRs and throws INTs!! I would start Rosenfels over him!!

I keep hammering points home on that topic because "Fiedler hasn't done anything in three years so he won't ever get it done" seems to be the Fiedler hater argument of choice this week. I'm sorry to bore the rest of you with this stuff, but I feel it is important to make sure there is an answer wherever this inane argument arises...

So I guess you mean that if he hasn't done it in 3 + years you figure that the law of averages will prevail and he will break out all of a sudden? one thing is certain tho. It sure would be interesting to watch him play behind a line like the Hogs in the 80s along with WRs like Art Monk and the Marks bros to throw to along with Ricky running like last year. If we could duplictae that, then that would shut EVERYBODY up.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

So I guess you mean that if he hasn't done it in 3 + years you figure that the law of averages will prevail and he will break out all of a sudden? one thing is certain tho. It sure would be interesting to watch him play behind a line like the Hogs in the 80s along with WRs like Art Monk and the Marks bros to throw to along with Ricky running like last year. If we could duplictae that, then that would shut EVERYBODY up.

That would never happen with the salary cap and its time to realize that Jay does not have the skills to become a pro bowl quaterback. He has been playing for three years now and yes he does have the 2nd best winning percentage as an active qb but if look at the rest of the stats he looks horrible. Yet I hope he continues to do well the rest of this season so that the Dolphins play deep into December and January, but next year the Phins need to upgrade the o-line, reciever & qb positions! The Coaching should be upgraded as well, and not NT

Originally posted by T-Bone

That would never happen with the salary cap and its time to realize that Jay does not have the skills to become a pro bowl quaterback. He has been playing for three years now and yes he does have the 2nd best winning percentage as an active qb but if look at the rest of the stats he looks horrible. Yet I hope he continues to do well the rest of this season so that the Dolphins play deep into December and January, but next year the Phins need to upgrade the o-line, reciever & qb positions! The Coaching should be upgraded as well, and not NT

I realize all that. I only mentioned that if it were ever possible for jay to play with the "ideal" team, it would once and for all end any and all speculation of just how good/bad (depending on which side you're on) Jay really is.

Defan
The only side I'm on is the side of the Dolpins, I've been a fan for 24 years now and all I care is that the team does well and I don't give a crap if the mascot is the quarterback as long as he produces and gives us a shot to win and Fiedler has given us the wins but we need more of a threat of the deep pass and he does not fit that mold. But he is not the only thing that is to blame for the problems we've been having this year, the o-line is playing horribly and DT has been a bust. Hopefully we ride the wave of sunday night, build on that and dispell the december swoon of years past !

Originally posted by T-Bone
Defan
The only side I'm on is the side of the Dolpins, I've been a fan for 24 years now and all I care is that the team does well and I don't give a crap if the mascot is the quarterback as long as he produces and gives us a shot to win and Fiedler has given us the wins but we need more of a threat of the deep pass and he does not fit that mold. But he is not the only thing that is to blame for the problems we've been having this year, the o-line is playing horribly and DT has been a bust. Hopefully we ride the wave of sunday night, build on that and dispell the december swoon of years past !

My "sediments" exactly. ;)

Back
Top Bottom