Fiedler Ranked 20th in AFC...and there's only 16 teams!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fiedler Ranked 20th in AFC...and there's only 16 teams!!!

I think jay can get it done if norv works with him and gives him the same kind of plays he gave BG. JF didnt get to throw over the middle much and was always throwing towards the sideline. we must get ricky involved in the passing game over the middle. Konrad, mcnight, mcmicheal, yadda yadda yadda. the first six games were dull because norv made it dull. work those end arounds! work those screen passes to konrad. work those deep patterns over the middle instead of thos lame down the sideline loser patterns.

Originally posted by finfan54
I think jay can get it done if norv works with him and gives him the same kind of plays he gave BG. JF didnt get to throw over the middle much and was always throwing towards the sideline. we must get ricky involved in the passing game over the middle. Konrad, mcnight, mcmicheal, yadda yadda yadda. the first six games were dull because norv made it dull. work those end arounds! work those screen passes to konrad. work those deep patterns over the middle instead of thos lame down the sideline loser patterns.

The problem is the screen passes won't go anywhere if Dallas stacks the line like everyone else has been doing. We need to connect mid-range to deep early and open things up and then have Ricky go to town with a mix of screens and flats passes along with Chambers and Gadsen over the middle. Tough D in Dallas though, young and fast, we have our work cut out for us.

Originally posted by FinsOnTop
JJ can you go more than 2 posts without bringing up what other QB's haven't done? You can point out 1 million things alike between JF and Manning or Farve, but we all know it's irrelavent.

I keep hammering points home on that topic because "Fiedler hasn't done anything in three years so he won't ever get it done" seems to be the Fiedler hater argument of choice this week. I'm sorry to bore the rest of you with this stuff, but I feel it is important to make sure there is an answer wherever this inane argument arises...

Originally posted by Jimmy James

I keep hammering points home on that topic because "Fiedler hasn't done anything in three years so he won't ever get it done" seems to be the Fiedler hater argument of choice this week.

JJ,
As I said earlier on this thread, it's getting really old, you suggesting that people are "Fiedler haters" simply because they make critcial observations. If any of us were truly "Fiedler HATERS" I doubt we'd be Dol Fans.
Give up the us vs. them mentality... we are all cheering the same team.
:goof:

By definition, saying that the Dolphins QB won't ever get it done makes you a hater. I frankly don't care who he is, and I don't care who you are. I'm sick and tired of both the defeatist attitudes and the crap run against Jay Fiedler.

I have gone on record a number of times asking for unity. I called out the people who wanted to give those who wanted Griese crap after Sunday night's win. I have posted at least three times about how Griese did as much as a team can ask out of a backup, and I have posted more times that I can count that the Dolphins should seek to upgrade QB along with every other position.

All I'm asking people who want to see the Dolphins succeed but who don't have faith in Fiedler to do is reserve judgment until the end of the season. Save your barbs, and let's just see what happens. Root for the team with all your energy, not with some of it directed at being skeptical of the QB. I don't think that's too much to ask at all.

Are you people who say Fiedler can't get it done because he hasn't done it in 3 years aware that Brett Favre took four years to get to the NFC Championship game? It's clear that he sucked and that Green Bay should have gotten rid of him. :rolleyes:

Are you aware that Peyton Manning got to exactly the number of playoffs in his first three years that Jay did and won no games? He didn't even make the playoffs two of his first four years, and he still hasn't won a single playoff game. In fact, he has only seen as many playoff games in 5 years as Jay has in 3. He must really suck. I wonder why the Colts haven't cut him loose yet. :rolleyes:

It's sad to see Jay haters have to go to this extreme to find something bad to say about him. Can't you just accept that he is the QB and root for him and the team?

The Peyton Manning comparison is incorrect because the COLTS haven't had a decent defense until now. We've had the #1 or #2 defense in our conference for years....Horrible comparison...

Originally posted by SDFinFan

The Peyton Manning comparison is incorrect because the COLTS haven't had a decent defense until now. We've had the #1 or #2 defense in our conference for years....Horrible comparison...

Peyton Manning also has Marvin Harrison and has had either Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, or Dominic Rhodes doing his best Edgerrin James imitation for the duration of his career. Jay has not had that.

Can't you people understand what an analogy is? I'm not saying Jay Fiedler is as talented as Favre or Manning. I'm not saying they play on teams with the same strengths and weaknesses.

What I am saying is that FIEDLER'S PLAYOFF RECORD OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS DOES NOT AND CANNOT PROVE THAT FIEDLER WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING. Do I need to break it down into syllables?

Now, with that said, can we kill the "Fiedler hasn't done anything for three years" arguments?

By definition, saying that the Dolphins QB won't ever get it done makes you a hater.

JJ,
I looked up "Hater" in the dictionary...as you have decided to be the vocabulary teacher for the evening and instructed everyone about definitions. To correct you, no where in the dictionary under the definition of hater does it say a person is a "Hater" because they think the Dolphins QB wont get the job done.
I'm thinking you should be very carefuly to proclaim ultimate wisdom when it is clear that you are churning out this stuff simply from raw emotion.
In the words of Tricky Dick Nixon, "I am not a Fiedler Hater".
(at least I think that's what he said...didn't he?)

Peyton Manning also has Marvin Harrison and has had either Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, or Dominic Rhodes doing his best Edgerrin James imitation for the duration of his career. Jay has not had that.

Can't you people understand what an analogy is? I'm not saying Jay Fiedler is as talented as Favre or Manning. I'm not saying they play on teams with the same strengths and weaknesses.

What I am saying is that FIEDLER'S PLAYOFF RECORD OVER THE PAST THREE YEARS DOES NOT AND CANNOT PROVE THAT FIEDLER WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING. Do I need to break it down into syllables?

Now, with that said, can we kill the "Fiedler hasn't done anything for three years" arguments?

After Clayton and Duper left Miami, what did Marino have on offense? Stephen Baker? Mark Ingram? Oj McDuffie? Sammie Smith? Lorenzo Hampton? Mark Higgs? The point is that Marino never had a solid defense until he was late in his career. We've had one of the best defenses and the best we can do is the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Can't you people understand what an analogy is?

JJ, I hate to do it to you again...but dude...you're using "analogy" wrong too. You better get some sleep.

Jay Fiedler : Peyton Manning :: 1 Playoff win : 0 Playoff wins

Just exactly what about that isn't an analogy?

Also, I didn't know that there was a dictionary that lists every single reasonable definition a word has. Where do you keep that sucker? :rolleyes:

I know how to use a dictionary, too. To enlighten you, here is the definition of definition:

"def·i·ni·tion
n.

A statement conveying fundamental character.
A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.
The act or process of stating a precise meaning or significance; formulation of a meaning.

The act of making clear and distinct: a definition of one's intentions.
The state of being closely outlined or determined: “With the drizzle, the trees in the little clearing had lost definition†(Anthony Hyde).
A determination of outline, extent, or limits: the definition of a President's authority.

The clarity of detail in an optically produced image, such as a photograph, effected by a combination of resolution and contrast.
The degree of clarity with which a televised image or broadcast signal is received"

It's sad when you have to stoop to this sort of level because you can't create any other rational argument to support your position. You attack my use of the words definition and analogy only because you can't defend yourself from my allegation that you are a HATER if you think Fiedler can't get it done this year due to his past three years.

After Clayton and Duper left Miami, what did Marino have on offense? Stephen Baker? Mark Ingram? Oj McDuffie? Sammie Smith? Lorenzo Hampton? Mark Higgs? The point is that Marino never had a solid defense until he was late in his career. We've had one of the best defenses and the best we can do is the 2nd round of the playoffs.

What of 1983 and 1990? The defense was at least statistically pretty good both of those years. Where is the Super Bowl victory that suppsedly comes from having a competant QB and a good defense?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :rolleyes:

Edit to note: Maybe the rolling eyes were a bit hasty. My point here is that Dan never got it done because there is a magical element to putting it all together. If any of us had a formula that could enable the team to win a Super Bowl, we would achieve instant fame and fortune. Same goes for simply being able to identify which teams have the magic or even the teams that will make it to the postseason. They play the games because we CANNOT tell how Jay Fiedler's career is going to end up based on his first three years as a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

What of 1983 and 1990? The defense was at least statistically pretty good both of those years. Where is the Super Bowl victory that suppsedly comes from having a competant QB and a good defense?

Yeah, that's what I thought. :rolleyes:

Edit to note: Maybe the rolling eyes were a bit hasty. My point here is that Dan never got it done because there is a magical element to putting it all together. If any of us had a formula that could enable the team to win a Super Bowl, we would achieve instant fame and fortune. Same goes for simply being able to identify which teams have the magic or even the teams that will make it to the postseason. They play the games because we CANNOT tell how Jay Fiedler's career is going to end up based on his first three years as a starter.

1990?? We got stream rolled by Buffalo. We had a terrible defense then. I remember a game against KC where Okoye just ran over our defenders on the way to a huge game.

1990?? We got stream rolled by Buffalo. We had a terrible defense then. I remember a game against KC where Okoye just ran over our defenders on the way to a huge game.

This great Defense that Jay has also gets steamrolled on occasion. In fact, that tends to happen often toward the end of the season according to most of what I recall reading. I admit I haven't done the research myself -- I'd actually be interested to know if that is indeed true.

Anyway, what we have to compare are statistics. In 1990, Miami's defense was 4th in points against and 8th in yardage. Jay has had a defense ranked:

2000 - 3rd and 6th
2001 - 11th and 5th
2002 - 4th and 3rd

I really don't mean to knock Dan, but if it really were as simple as good D + good QB = championship, 1990 was Miami's. The reality of the NFL, particularly in this day and age, is far more difficult to boil down to a formula.

Back
Top Bottom