Finding a team to follow | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finding a team to follow

Dol_Fan_4_Ever said:
Surprised no one has brought up Penn State, I've grown up loving them, especially JoePa, and having them win the orange bowl this year over the noles', instant classic.
Each school has their own tradition and fans, so it's up to you to decide. I think you should follow a team because a) you like them, b) you like their history and c) you like their style of play. Probably one reason we all chose the Phins to follow in the pros.

Yeah, I'd say follow Penn St.
They've always been my team for the one week that Alabama had off.:D

DonShula84 said:
And if he picks Miami he can watch you battle power houses like Florida A&M, Houston and Florida Int :wink:

I think you'll find a lot of ND haters out there. They're a polarizing team, you love them or hate them. Makes it fun sometimes to be an ND fan.

I don't think ND is as polarizing as Miami is. A LOT of people hate Miami for a number of reasons, but mainly because they were the thugs of the 80's and won national championships left and right. It's had a long carryover.

I didn't start hating ND until last year, when they had a ridiculously easy schedule and still got a BCS bid, despite losing to Michigan State. Made me feel really bad for Oregon, who deserved to go to a BCS bowl based on what they did in the regular season.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
LOL...Injuries keep us from owning you guys last year....Matthew Stafford

Please remember that name. In drafts to come the Dolphin fans (especially me) will be screaming for Nick to draft him.

Why in the world do you guys get ridiculously excited about high school recruits? Please, just wait until they take one snap in college football before you anoint them the savior of american football.

Motion said:
As far as being badass, that time has come and gone. They don't have that intimidating swagger they once did IMO.

You don't think they have many fans?

I think the swagger was dormant for the Brock/Werner years. It'll be back this year.

We don't have too many fans. As somebody said...we rarely sell out the Orange Bowl. It's just the big games that get sold out...for a game against like say North Carolina...the stadium will be half empty.

kpcane said:
I don't think ND is as polarizing as Miami is. A LOT of people hate Miami for a number of reasons, but mainly because they were the thugs of the 80's and won national championships left and right. It's had a long carryover.

I didn't start hating ND until last year, when they had a ridiculously easy schedule and still got a BCS bid, despite losing to Michigan State. Made me feel really bad for Oregon, who deserved to go to a BCS bowl based on what they did in the regular season.

ridiculously easy schedule? :confused:

Marino2Clayton said:
ridiculously easy schedule? :confused:

It was hard on paper before the season started, probably the toughest or atleast one of the toughest schedules in college football heading into the season. But a lot of the teams ended up not being that good (Pitt, Mich, Tenn for example). All I can say is there schedule wasnt easy because they made it that way

DonShula84 said:
It was hard on paper before the season started, probably the toughest or atleast one of the toughest schedules in college football heading into the season. But a lot of the teams ended up not being that good (Pitt, Mich, Tenn for example). All I can say is there schedule wasnt easy because they made it that way

im gonna have to agree with Don on this one, I even said that ND prob had the hardest schedule out there

*takes a shower for agreeing with a Domer* :tongue: :tongue:

kpcane said:

they couldnt even beat a mediocre OU team

DonShula84 said:

You're right...but the fact remains they played an easy schedule and still got in.

Michigan was the only respectable team they beat last year. Heck, Michigan was the only bowl-eligible team they beat last year. And USC was the other bowl-eligible team they played. Pretty sad that they lost to a team that wasn't bowl-eligible. But that didn't stop the BCS.

Seems like they should have a somewhat challenging schedule this year. A lot of easy teams again, but their first 3 will be tough, and USC will be tough. UCLA and Stanford shouldn't be too tough, and I forget the rest of the teams on their schedule, but I don't think there's much more competition after those 4 games. But it's considerably tougher than last year's schedule.

AirFishOne said:
they couldnt even beat a mediocre OU team

They deserved to go to a BCS bowl period. Their only loss in the regular season was to USC. That's it. A team going 10-1 in a major conference should be good enough...but they wouldn't bring in the money ND would. That's why ND has special circumstances. Money, money, money.

kpcane said:
They deserved to go to a BCS bowl period. Their only loss in the regular season was to USC. That's it. A team going 10-1 in a major conference should be good enough...but they wouldn't bring in the money ND would. That's why ND has special circumstances. Money, money, money.

true about ND's money but that still dosent answer the question if they desrved it or not, if they beat OU then its no contest they earned it more than ND, but since they lost, it left a since of secruity with the BCS

on the other hand, I still kinda beleived they earned it more than ND, Oregon was the better team

AirFishOne said:
true about ND's money but that still dosent answer the question if they desrved it or not, if they beat OU then its no contest they earned it more than ND, but since they lost, it left a since of secruity with the BCS

on the other hand, I still kinda beleived they earned it more than ND, Oregon was the better team

What happened in the bowl game against OU is irrelevant, mainly because you can't see how they do in a bowl game and then assess whether they deserved a higher bowl, because teams focus differently.

You take how a team did in the regular season and you give them the bowl game they deserve. I don't know if Oregon was better than ND last year, if they played in a game I'd bet on ND, but the fact was Oregon had a more impressive year last year and was denied because of the money factor.

kpcane said:
You're right...but the fact remains they played an easy schedule and still got in.

Michigan was the only respectable team they beat last year. Heck, Michigan was the only bowl-eligible team they beat last year. And USC was the other bowl-eligible team they played. Pretty sad that they lost to a team that wasn't bowl-eligible. But that didn't stop the BCS.

Seems like they should have a somewhat challenging schedule this year. A lot of easy teams again, but their first 3 will be tough, and USC will be tough. UCLA and Stanford shouldn't be too tough, and I forget the rest of the teams on their schedule, but I don't think there's much more competition after those 4 games. But it's considerably tougher than last year's schedule.

Michigan, Penn St, GT, USC are the tough games on there schedule. UCLA could go either way, and not playing Michigan St in South Bend actually helps us lol.

Dolfan73 said:
I tend to follow University of Iowa. UI is in my hometown of Iowa City and they usually field a pretty decent team. I know I'll get burned for this but...not a fan of the U. Very ****y, overrated team IMO. as for Florida and Florida State, I like them both. Very confusing when they play each other, never know who to root for.

I hate the Canes. I never grew up near or in Miami so I have no allegiance to that area. I just love the Dolphins because I love the Dolphins, so you're not alone.

I don't really follow college football to be honest, but FSU was my team when I did watch it more often.

Back
Top Bottom