Fins-D during Coyle Years = #4 scoring defense (out of 32 teams) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins-D during Coyle Years = #4 scoring defense (out of 32 teams)

There's never any circumstance when your defense should get pounded for 200 yards in a half. I don't care what the stats say.

Or I could determine that stats mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Dolphins are 10th in scoring but watching them last night you'd never know that.

Looks like they mean very little until they prove YOUR point.

They are awesome except when you really need them to be.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Do you feel confident putting this D out there against a good offense with the game on the line?

Yes I do. They stopped both Green bay and Detroit and we should have won both games. Then the Offense failed to run out the clock and the defense was forced to go out and defend a second time.

Good Luck giving good QB's 2 chances to beat you late in the game.

Looks like they mean very little until they prove YOUR point.

I'm talking about averages. Those are the stats that mean little because as I said, an inconsistent team can be great one week and horrible the next. Depending on the circumstance, that game in which they played horribly could have been a more important one.

Once again, people are going to turn this into an offense vs defense pissing match when the entire team lacks consistency.

Or I could determine that stats mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Dolphins are 10th in scoring but watching them last night you'd never know that.

Being top 10 in scoring defense generates an 11 win record on average. The Dolphins were one of only two teams to not get double digit wins over the last 2 seasons, and we did it TWICE. And we are in danger of doing it a THIRD time. Kevin Coyle is not the problem with this team, far from it.

this defense is 'good enough' ... provided the offense plays well.

Thankfully, this offense is still figuring it out ... most will see this as a bad thing - but they are.

There is still work to do, but it is coming along. This year should be playoffs, next year should be deep playoff run - with just a few tweaks.

Let me say that one more time to let it sink in:

Over the last 2 years teams that failed to get 10+ wins with a top 10 scoring defense:
1. Pittsburgh 8-8
2. Miami 7-9
3. Miami 8-8

How sick is that?

Another thing that gets left out when talking about the Coyle led defense is the effect on offensive scoring.
Not only are they good at not allowing points but they actually contribute to scoring by causing turnovers and creating short fields for the offense.

So far this year the defense has come up big 19 times and helped the offense with scoring. here are details of those 19 times.

# - How Gotten - Where - Result

1 - Fumble - NE 34 - TD
2 - Fumble - NE 14 - FG
3 - Fumble - KC 19 - TD
4 - Interception - Oak 03 - TD
5 - Fumble - Oakland Endzone - TD
6 - Interception - Oak 16 - Int
7 - Interception - Oak 26 - Downs
8 - Downs - Oak 16 - End Game
9 - Interception - Chi 23 - TD
10 - Fumble - Chi 16 - FG
11 - Fumble - Chi 35 - Missed FG
12 - Interception - Jags Endzone - TD
13 - Interception - Jags Endzone - TD
14 - Interception - SD 31 - FG
15 - Interception - SD 19 - FG
16 - Fumble - SD 14 - TD
17 - Downs - Buffalo 12 - FG
18 - Downs - Buffalo 27 - End Game
19 - Fumble - Denver 12 - TD

8 Fumble recovery's, 41 points
8 Interceptions, 34 points
3 Downs, 3 points

9 TD's and 5 FG's scored from these short field drives.
78 points have resulted from these drives. That amounts to 6.5 points per game.

Add to that the offense/special teams have turned the ball over 18 times and the defense has come in and only allowed 23 points off those turnovers.
2 TD's and 3 FG's. The other 13 times we stopped the other team cold.

So we give up some rushing yards. Big freaking deal.

Let me say that one more time to let it sink in:

Over the last 2 years teams that failed to get 10+ wins with a top 10 scoring defense:
1. Pittsburgh 8-8
2. Miami 7-9
3. Miami 8-8

How sick is that?

And Tannehill is going for the hat trick this season.

But....

He sucks? Duh.....

I mean, 13 points allowed vs a NFL team?

F'n terrible BRO!

Thank you, OP

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

There's never any circumstance when your defense should get pounded for 200 yards in a half. I don't care what the stats say.
It appears to me that YOU are the one concerned with stats in a half rather than the WIN column.

You must think this is baseball; with each opponent about the same, allowing the manager to use pretty much the same strategy and tactics to win each game. Do you really think so little of football?

Consistency. Every unit on this team lacks it. Defensive ranking is helped significantly by having a game like against the Chargers when they looked elite and then **** the bed the next week or the week after.

How exactly did we **** the bed the next week. We held Detroit to 351 yards in their own building.
We actually had them held to 277 yards on 53 plays (5.23 yards per play) late in the game when the D forced a 3 and out.
The Offense failed to run out the clock and added 74 yards to that total that should have never happened.

Seems to me that's how Coyle sees the game if he didn't realize that putting 8 in the box to stop the run against a Geno Smith led Jets team was the path to victory and then needed his own players to tell him what would work.

How exactly did we **** the bed the next week. We held Detroit to 351 yards in their own building.
We actually had them held to 277 yards on 53 plays (5.23 yards per play) late in the game when the D forced a 3 and out.
The Offense failed to run out the clock and added 74 yards to that total that should have never happened.

(note how I said or the week after) I was talking in general terms. You can't have a week where you shut out an offense and then another week where you can't stop an offense. That's precisely why they are ranked where they are. They have games that are among the best defensive showings that you'll see from any team the entire year and then the next week they'll struggle to tackle.

Back
Top Bottom