Fins in 8th Best Cap Shape | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins in 8th Best Cap Shape

Nublar7 said:
Your right, but the Giants who had Manning(#1 pick) had a rookie pool of $4.4 million. It mostly depends on how many picks you have and the rank of the picks.
Agree. $4 - $5 millions is expected on Miami's rookies.

byroan said:
Trickiest means nothing. They won't have a problem with his contract. It'll just have a bunch of clauses in it. That's what they're working on. Money is not a problem.
As this thread is about salary cap, trickiest may mean soo few or soo much on cap amount for this year. The cap counts what is a sure pay so many of incentives may or may not. Saban's crew will handle that.

MexDolfan said:
Agree. $4 - $5 millions is expected on Miami's rookies.
I would say closer to $4 million is what the NFL will go us. The Giants had Manning and 6 other picks(total 7), while we had only 6 picks total. Oakland was given $5.2 million, but they had 9 picks.

Nublar7 said:
Um, no. We had less draft picks then most teams, so that will help reduce our Rookie Pool. San Fran had more picks, have to sign the number 1 pick in the draft(WHO IS A QB) and they are only $4.3 million under. We are in pretty good shape.
Of course. 49ers will have a lot to do in order to be under cap.
That's one of the reasons Boston is a far possibility on them.

bakedmatt said:
we haven't cut our team down to 53 players yet from all the guys signed. we'll have even more room after zgonina and the other cuts are gone.
And Saban will take one of two routes:
a) Extend key players like TE Randy McMichael (If he agrees to become the kind of TE Nick wants)
b) Add more players after other team cut them.

MexDolfan said:
Of course. 49ers will have a lot to do in order to be under cap.
That's one of the reasons Boston is a far possibility on them.
I hear you on that, however I think Mike Nolan didn't want to take a chance on Boston.

The Franchise said:
Cut some o-linemen like Jerman and Whitley, Miami will be doing quite well. Take out Roundtree and trade or cut Zgonina and Miami might even have some dough to make another 1 or 2 key signings, someone who is cut from some other teams!

We don't get any benefit from cutting Whitley because of accelerated signing bonus.

If $6.6 million isn't enough to get the things we need done, the next on the chopping block will be David Bowens, who will save us $2.2 million. No way Nick Saban pays nearly $2 million in base salary to a backup defensive lineman.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I hear you on that, however I think Mike Nolan didn't want to take a chance on Boston.
Very True, I think he was worried about Boston's off the field problems. At the same time however, I think Saban has the luxery to take the chance on him. Coming back here, he wouldn't be one of the top 2 guys and we have decent depth with Newson and Thompson that gives us some flexibility if he doesn't pan out.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Hey, be positive, its too early for negative!
I'm being positive. Trickiest may mean both less or even more cap. In case that RB contract turns into a book of incentives, many of the clauses may become something that doesn't count in this year's salary cap. :wink:

MexDolfan said:
I'm being positive. Trickiest may mean both less or even more cap. In case that RB contract turns into a book of incentives, many of the clauses may become something that doesn't count in this year's salary cap. :wink:
:drinkers:

Nublar7 said:
Every rookie contract is goin to have give and take periods. Teams are going to low-ball the players at first, so they can try and get the cheapest contract possible. It will get done.
Of course. My point is it won't be hard because of the cap, but somehow there's a lot of work to do and may take some days.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
We don't get any benefit from cutting Whitley because of accelerated signing bonus.

If $6.6 million isn't enough to get the things we need done, the next on the chopping block will be David Bowens, who will save us $2.2 million. No way Nick Saban pays nearly $2 million in base salary to a backup defensive lineman.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Saban go to Reggie Howard and say "Take a pay cut or take a hike!" While Howard is a decent player, he is not worth $3 million a year. I hope he restructures, because we need the veteran experience now that Surtain is gone.

Nublar7 said:
Very True, I think he was worried about Boston's off the field problems. At the same time however, I think Saban has the luxery to take the chance on him. Coming back here, he wouldn't be one of the top 2 guys and we have decent depth with Newson and Thompson that gives us some flexibility if he doesn't pan out.
I agree with you, and he may come back to Miami, a little bit more humble.

Nublar7 said:
It's my word he'll.
Under Saban and Linehan there's a lot to upgrade on Boston.
As i see it, Saban's challenge is to build a TEAM with both defense and offense. One of the biggest tasks in Saban's is to recover the key pieces that make our team a mess last season. IF RW and DB were in shape and played last season we surely weren't finished 4-12. Big IF.
Ricky Williams will be back. Saban knows his value and he'll recover the player, he'll use it this season and trade him next season. Nick won't trade him this season because the cheap price RW may have.
Boston obviously is not a sure thing, but somehow i feel he'll be back because he needs to show his value.
Saban made clear that David won't have his oportunity just because he injured last season with this team, Nick wants to have 100% of David Boston and he'll have it. Nick released Boston, but he didn't close any door. He knows that a guy like this has potential (abilities and problems) and he wants to have the best of him.

PhinDude88 said:
Thats awesome how we went from the bottem 5 to the top 10 in cap space.
Look for next season and you will see the 180º turn Miami's cap problems did.
Coach is being wise in every transaction. Wanny should have done terrible moves, but Saban is turning this ship HIS way.

Back
Top Bottom