First 3 picks in 2021 draft | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First 3 picks in 2021 draft

What’s the history on 1st round receivers?

It aint good.

Really?

I’ll bet you anything the history of 1st rounders is better than any other individual round. Prove me wrong.

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. Arguably the two best WR’s of the modern era, if not of all-time. Both were first rounders.

7 of the top 10 all-time leaders in receiving yardage were 1st round picks.

6 of the 10 receivers with 100+ TD‘s in their career were 1st round picks.

You won’t find any other individual round as accomplished.

You’ll discover that to be true for pretty much ALL positions not involved with special teams.

The majority of the best players tend to get drafted earlier, rather than later. Funny how that works.

Sigh....

We were talking about the bust rate of highly drafted receivers... not whether Jerry and Randy were #1s.

The % of them who fail was what we were discussing.

Really?

I’ll bet you anything the history of 1st rounders is better than any other individual round. Prove me wrong.

Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. Arguably the two best WR’s of the modern era, if not of all-time. Both were first rounders.

7 of the top 10 all-time leaders in receiving yardage were 1st round picks.

6 of the 10 receivers with 100+ TD‘s in their career were 1st round picks.

You won’t find any other individual round as accomplished.

You’ll discover that to be true for pretty much ALL positions not involved with special teams.

The majority of the best players tend to get drafted earlier, rather than later. Funny how that works.

Fine, I have insomnia anyway.

2010: Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant. They weren't bad.
2011: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin. A good year
2012: Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, AJ Jenkins. Ouch
2013: Tavon Austin, Deandre Hopkins. 50%, and Hopkins was draft at the bottom of the round.
2014: Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin: Lotta busts there and a couple of minor hits.
2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DVP, Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett. Eh... a couple of good, not great WRs.
2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell,. Ouch.
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross. Umm... nothing really special

There are a whole lotta busts here. How many of these would YOU have been happy seeing us take in the 1st round?

I just did a few years, but I think that this is representative. A bunch of these guys ended up being JAG. Yes, there are some home runs here, but the overall % is low... and that was my ONLY point. Drafting a WR in the first is a crapshoot, but I'm willing to do it. I am just not excited about it.

Scared money don't make none.

2021 is an elite WR group. 2020, 2014 (only bust was Benjamin), and 2011 are the only other years that match up at all with this class (2011 for the top 2 more than the depth).

It doesn't really make sense to compare bad WR classes, where teams draft WR's in the 1st based on need, to talented classes. You also have to consider the QB and OC for the team drafting the busts. Often, teams with bad passing games draft WR's in the 1st, hoping the WR will fix the problems. If the QB and OC sucks, and if the OL isn't good enough, there's only so much a WR can do.

On board with Smith at WR. Or Waddle.

As much as I like Leatherwood, ya gonna draft a guard with a 1st? Or kick Austin Jackson to the curb? If he somehow survives to the 2nd, yeah I would draft Alex.

There are better centers than Creed Humphrey. Too much love for him, imo.

Scared money don't make none.

2021 is an elite WR group. 2020, 2014 (only bust was Benjamin), and 2011 are the only other years that match up at all with this class (2011 for the top 2 more than the depth).

It doesn't really make sense to compare bad WR classes, where teams draft WR's in the 1st based on need, to talented classes. You also have to consider the QB and OC for the team drafting the busts. Often, teams with bad passing games draft WR's in the 1st, hoping the WR will fix the problems. If the QB and OC sucks, and if the OL isn't good enough, there's only so much a WR can do.
This ‘21 class is NOT and elite group at all... nowhere near as good as the ‘20 class

On board with Smith at WR. Or Waddle.

As much as I like Leatherwood, ya gonna draft a guard with a 1st? Or kick Austin Jackson to the curb? If he somehow survives to the 2nd, yeah I would draft Alex.

There are better centers than Creed Humphrey. Too much love for him, imo.
Who are some better centers?

One of the picks in the first 2 rounds is probably gonna surprise/anger people, that was me when we picked Raekwon Davis last year and he’s been arguably our best rookie. All I know is this staff has earned our trust and whether it’s a WR, RB, front 7 guy or OL we are going to add some really talented guys to this team. Future is bright!

Personally I would like to get either Allen Robinson or Golladay in free agency and draft Smith/waddle. I wouldnt hesitate to take Smith and Waddle in the first either if the free agency route doesnt work. Not only are they extremely talented but they have built in experience with Tua which makes it more intriguing.

Personally I would like to get either Allen Robinson or Golladay in free agency and draft Smith/waddle. I wouldnt hesitate to take Smith and Waddle in the first either if the free agency route doesnt work. Not only are they extremely talented but they have built in experience with Tua which makes it more intriguing.
You want 2 slot guys in the 1st?

Back
Top Bottom