First Day of PADS!!!!!!! Posts HERE!!!! | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Day of PADS!!!!!!! Posts HERE!!!!

Yes, and sometimes it is preferable to be able to go over the top of a defender with more arc on the trajectory. What point, exactly, are you trying to make? That you prefer a canon armed QB? That you don't believe Tua can be successful? Not sure where you are going with this.
Also if you're throwing 40 yards on a rope it means you're throwing late anyway which isn't a good idea no matter how strong your arm is.

I personally don't know much about Andries football ability, but he does check the boxes in terms of athleticism. And I've heard some positive reviews about his football acumen from others who have studied him. Here's hoping he becomes one of those pleasant surprises for us.

Looks like Holland chose to cover Waddle coming across the middle leaving Hill 1 on 1.

If Holland stays deep and plays Hill, Waddle is WIDE OPEN for atleast a 30 yard catch with NO ONE around him right in the middle of the field.

Yup, I can see why defenses will be scared lol.

Truly pick your poison
If Holland goes deep and Tua had thrown it to Waddle that might have been a TD as well.

There is a lot
Agreed, but it's not just that Tua "can" throw deep, it's that he's very good at it. While he had few attempts, his completion percentage on those attempts was #1 in the league last season. He's much better at it than Tannehill ever was and Tannehill has a much stronger arm. Tua's deep passes remind me of Russell Wilson's. They have that nice arc and excellent accuracy.

Earlier this morning I was watching NFL Throwback and it was on Jerry Rice (these are great episodes, btw). It was essentially highlights of catch after catch each season of his career. Aside from the eternal greatness of Rice, what struck me was how accurate Montana and Young were on mid-range to deep throws. And they weren't even the 60-65 yard throws like Tua to Hill today. Many were in the 35-50 yard range. That's what we need and want from Tua. And I think we can get that if he gets protection.

Somewhat like the - underrated - deep throw to Waddle today (which was around 50 air yards). Easy and accurate.

It's a deadly combo against single high. You'd think the smarter play would be for the safety to carry that route deep against T.Hill. Ofcourse that leaves Waddle 1 on 1 on that crosser and if it saw correctly there's a delayed release by the TE too on that route.

The OL really needs to hold up for stuff like that to develop.

BTW, The safety needs to sit ONTOP of T.Hills deep route or else he's trailing with the CB and they both can be beat over the top.

For the record...I doubt Miami see very many single high type coverages this year. It's going to be 2-3 across all season!
On Travis' podcast the other day he mentioned some 2-high stats from another publication. IIRC the number of 2 high coverage looks last year was at an all-time high, but no single team played 2-high as much as 50% of the time. I think the average was about 40% 2-high. So even if there's an increase in 2-high again, I expect we'll see some single high looks, especially if our run game gets going.

I’m a 50 year old HS lacrosse coach. I’ve always had the the “play with class. Act like you’ve been there before. “ attitude.

I had to change this past year.

The current crop of kids are all about moments (“flexing”) because of social media, video games and attention span.

You have to have music going all practice. You have to let them do their stupid dances. The days where kids were stoic and focused are long gone.

I’ve given up on the old school “get off my lawn” style. They want to have fun and be the center of attention. The resulting energy from my team was worth what I consider cringe worthy moments.

Hell during a rivalry game that we had lost 5 years in a row, we were down 4 in the fourth and ripped off 2 goals. The kids went nuts with energy when *I* turned to the bench and yelled “who’s house?!?!” And they responded with “our house.” I did it after every goal after that. And we won. (Gawd I would have felt dumb if not)

I see what McDaniel is doing/allowing as embracing the current player psyche.

I’m going to take note if these 100 minute practices still yield good results. In the old days a coach would say “we have new systems to install… take every minute allowed.”
I totally agree with you (48 btw so we're on the same wavelength lol). It's a different generation for sure.

I'm just saying they need to show it out on the field on game days. They can do whatever they want for practice for all I care as long as they play well on Sundays. If they look undisciplined, this could bite them in the butt.

There is a lot

Earlier this morning I was watching NFL Throwback and it was on Jerry Rice (these are great episodes, btw). It was essentially highlights of catch after catch each season of his career. Aside from the eternal greatness of Rice, what struck me was how accurate Montana and Young were on mid-range to deep throws. And they weren't even the 60-65 yard throws like Tua to Hill today. Many were in the 35-50 yard range. That's what we need and want from Tua. And I think we can get that if he gets protection.

Somewhat like the - underrated - deep throw to Waddle today (which was around 50 air yards). Easy and accurate.
I believe that last season 71% of all NFL passes were 10 yards or less (air yards). This is an all-time high and I'm sure much higher than when Rice played. I could easily imagine an offense with a ton of those quick throws and then over the top throws when defenses move up to stop those passes or off of P/A. Those are the types of passes that Tua has already proven himself to be very accurate on.

Just Listened to a few dolphin you tubers…some were saying the dolphins staged that tua to tyreek throw…that the defense let it happen etc
the haters sill never change…just crazy…how can they be fans?
they are never happy.

I thought that might come up. They did leave Iggy one-on-one vs Hill. But, imo, so what? That's the right read that Tua made and sometimes that will happen. Especially if our run game goes well.

And, as several have noted in this thread, had Holland gone deep to double Hill, Waddle was open on a deep slant underneath. With Hill going downfield, if he's doubled, as is likely, Waddle is wide open crossing the middle on a deep (30 yard) slant and when Tua hits him it's a TD.

If we get just decent protection, and stay healthy (touch wood), this offense is deadly with Hill, Waddle, Cedric Wilson, and/or Gesicki ... Tua is going to be Nate 'Tiny' Archibald on the early 80's Celtics for Miami (some on here probably won't grasp the greatness of that reference).

BTW looking at the pics posted here was surreal. I used to regularly go watch the practices in Davie. It was hot as hell so there were no crowds and plenty of seats. Parking was easy. I'd drive up, hang for an hour or so and leave.

I do think White is more likely to stick than any of the backs we had last year, outside of maybe Ahmed. I also think that some people automatically write off anybody who is an UDFA. I find that opinion to be unsupported, particularly on a team that has Needham playing a ton and a head coach with a reputation for being a run game expert, who was brought in, in large part to fix the run game, and comes from a system notorious for finding late draft picks and UDFAs at the RB position.

McD has stated that he has specific RB criteria that he has found to be successful in his system and that he explained those to the scouts so that they would know what he was looking for. It's logical to assume that the four RBs he brought in likely meet those criteria. So when McD is asked, "who has impressed" and he mentions a RB by name, I'm not inclined to write it off as nothing.
Actually the low percentage of UDFAs that make rosters would seem to support that overall opinion. Obviously there are exceptions but the most likely thing, historically, is that he has very low odds of making the roster as a rookie. The practice squad for his first year is far more probable, which incidentally is where Needham started.

Actually the low percentage of UDFAs that make rosters would seem to support that overall opinion. Obviously there are exceptions but the most likely thing, historically, is that he has very low odds of making the roster as a rookie. The practice squad for his first year is far more probable, which incidentally is where Needham started.
I've stated that outside of injury, PS is most likely for White, but after the top 3 RBs, White's odds are as good as any other RB, probably better. And I've read that about 30% of the total NFL is made up of UDFAs. I wouldn't consider that a low percentage.

You specifically brought up the difference between having a strong arm and being able to throw deep. I provided an example of a player most here would be familiar with that fit difference to a tee. And obviously, anybody claiming that Tua doesn't have a strong arm or saying he can't throw deep is comparing him to other NFL players. As for Tua being good at throwing deep, he was objectively the most accurate deep thrower in the league last season. That is a statement of fact. Disputing that statement of fact is being argumentative.
I would not dispute that as fact, but would suggest that the sample size was very small. Look, I hope he leads the league in that stat again, but not drawing any conclusions of him being "elite" in that area just quite yet.

My purpose of pointing out that throwing deep, and having a strong arm are not the same thing was not a referendum on Tua, just a freality of the sport. Tua throws a nice deep ball. He does not, however, have what is considered a strong arm. More than enough arm to be a good QB though.

I've stated that outside of injury, PS is most likely for White, but after the top 3 RBs, White's odds are as good as any other RB, probably better. And I've read that about 30% of the total NFL is made up of UDFAs. I wouldn't consider that a low percentage.
That may be true, but unless you are looking at the total number of UDFAs that really has no context. What is the percentage of UDFAs that make NFL rosters? That is the question.

For example, say we sign 30 UDFAs over a couple year period, but only one makes a roster. That percentage is quite low.

Back
Top Bottom