First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Game Without My Dad - Phins Get The Win For All The Dads

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my dad unexpectedly this May and I would give anything for him to call and talk ‘fins. He was born in ‘66 and was a dolphin fan since the beginning. He is the one who turned me on to the fins. When I was young he would get a kick out of getting me to say “Dan the man!”
He wasn’t sold on Tua but I told him to give him another year and see how he looks after year 2. Boy do I wish he was here to experience year 2 with me. Hopefully in a few months and some Tua success, I can look up and tell him that I told him so.
RIP, Dad.

Last edited:
My Dad passed suddenly right around Christmas also (which is also my birthday) so I get that holiday pain also (got my birthday card from him in the mail after he had passed).

My first game was the Bears game, our neighbor had extra tickets and asked my Dad if he could use them. Obviously after that game my goal was to get season tickets as soon as I could afford them. Lots of fun times watching so many games as a family after that. Enjoy those special days with your Dad and family.

I’m extremely touched by all the stories. Thank you all for sharing.

I have a little son now. He’s not into sports yet, but if he likes sports, I’m torn on whether I should nudge him toward Miami. I think I might let him pick his own team organically. However, with my passion for the Dolphins it might be inevitable. :)
Well, it's a matter of whether you want your son to suffer (become a dolphins fan), or suffer and play with dolls (jets fan).

I want to add, how sorry I am for all of my fellow Finheaven Brothers, who've shared your incredible stories of your fathers. To those who didn't have quite the right Fatherly/Son experience, I'm even more at heartbreak, for your lack of joy and the questions of, what could have been. My condolences to everyone.

I know there is a lot more to be told, by all of us on Finheaven. In many ways, we are family. Hopefully we get a chance to experience the joy of our beloved team, becoming the dominant force of yester years, starting on September 12th, 2021. Love yall.

Last edited:
Always remeber we are like a family here.

But if you ever need fatherly advice, fatherly love or even fatherly MONEY @Ray R is old enough to be anyone's father. Get in touch.

I refuse to be "touched"! - LOL

Nice try - LOL

I'm old enough to know when I'm being baited, and smart enough to, uh, oh I forget - LOL

Sorry to hear about the passing of your dad, I know how difficult that can be, I lost my dad during Hurricane Sandy. He was such a strong person, it was a huge surprise on us.

Though my Father was not a big fan of football, he was the one that got me interested in Baseball, he was my best friend, and miss him a lot.

Hopefully the Dolphins help this season with your loss, and able to put a smile on your Father's face, as he watches down on you and his beloved Dolphins (We don't stop being Dolphins fans when we pass), as as well as you all season. Take care

My earliest memory was my dud walking out the door when I was 3 years old. Not the best cognitive foundation to grow up on.

Didn’t hear from him again until I was 10 (45-ish years ago). He stopped by for an hour on a layover flight bringing a family he married into. Our mother was out of town on business. It was strange seeing myself, 3 siblings, and sitter on the couch and him, his wife and 3 or 4 step kids on the other side of the room huddled around him sitting on our recliner.

Only two times in my life I recall seeing him, a little over an hour combined. Apparently, he wasn’t around much before the divorce, being in the Air Force and an alcoholic.

Never got any phone calls, letters, cards, etc... us kids just got ghosted.

I got a couple of calls about a year ago with someone leaving messages that began with “This is your dad…” A sister gave him my number. That was beyond bizarre hearing a stranger call themselves my dad at 55 years of age.

I never called back. He never earned the right to call himself my dad. Biological father, sure, but being a dad is earned in my book.

He’s about 80 now and I hear he has heart disease and had a few bypass surgeries over the years. He was an alcoholic as I understand the story.

Our mother never got married again and I don’t recall her having any relationships after that. She never brought anyone home anyways.

At the age of 8, the Dolphins and Bob Griese became my step-daddy growing up. 😀

What I find interesting over the years is if I see a movie where a small child loses their father, tears can come flowing, yet, I have no emotional connection to them. I assume because I never developed an emotional bond with my biological father, at least cognitively.

I used to envy friends that had a dad growing up, but I have heard some horrendous stories over the years about fathers that suck around. So it could of been better, but it could of been worse.

It was what it was and wasn’t, and it is what it is.

My dad was a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan, but I lost him this spring so this will be my first football season without him. My dad had some issues so didn't spend a huge amount of time together his last few years, but really the one thing we always bonded over was football and the one thing he would clean himself up for every now and then involving me was just getting together at the sports bar to watch our teams. So its weird watching and thinking what I'm gonna talk to my dad about, then realize he's not here.

To top it all off I was supposed to spend time with my mother this weekend before she has major, very risky surgery, and she got rushed to the hospital today for the surgery to be done on an emergency basis, so I didn't get to see her.

Sorry to hear about your mom in the Hospital, hope all goes well 🙏.

Spend as much time with her, because once we lose them, it will be hard if you missed out spending time with her.

I lost my mom in 2018, after she had been very sick for 10 years, it hurt, but I knew she was finally resting, and no longer suffering.

Good luck to you and your mom.

My earliest memory was my dud walking out the door when I was 3 years old. Not the best cognitive foundation to grow up on.

Didn’t hear from him again until I was 10 (45-ish years ago). He stopped by for an hour on a layover flight bringing a family he married into. Our mother was out of town on business. It was strange seeing myself, 3 siblings, and sitter on the couch and him, his wife and 3 or 4 step kids on the other side of the room huddled around him sitting on our recliner.

Only two times in my life I recall seeing him, a little over an hour combined. Apparently, he wasn’t around much before the divorce, being in the Air Force and an alcoholic.

Never got any phone calls, letters, cards, etc... us kids just got ghosted.

I got a couple of calls about a year ago with someone leaving messages that began with “This is your dad…” A sister gave him my number. That was beyond bizarre hearing a stranger call themselves my dad at 55 years of age.

I never called back. He never earned the right to call himself my dad. Biological father, sure, but being a dad is earned in my book.

He’s about 80 now and I hear he has heart disease and had a few bypass surgeries over the years. He was an alcoholic as I understand the story.

Our mother never got married again and I don’t recall her having any relationships after that. She never brought anyone home anyways.

At the age of 8, the Dolphins and Bob Griese became my step-daddy growing up. 😀

What I find interesting over the years is if I see a movie where a small child loses their father, tears can come flowing, yet, I have no emotional connection to them. I assume because I never developed an emotional bond with my biological father, at least cognitively.

I used to envy friends that had a dad growing up, but I have heard some horrendous stories over the years about fathers that suck around. So it could of been better, but it could of been worse.

It was what it was and wasn’t, and it is what it is.
I can relate to some of that. Don’t remember my bio father in the home at all…I was about 1 1/2 when he bounced. He’s an amazing tale on how to royally **** up your life (marriage and kids aside, I’d have to give Mom her share of that debacle). Evidently heroine was all that mattered to him for many years, and this guy had two amazing opportunities that drugs un-did for him. Was a minor league ball player for the As, and had played drums for a few gigs with Santana in the Bay Area. Both pissed away before age 22.

Only saw him a few times growing up and was less than impressed…fought drug and alcohol addictions his whole life, until he left a bar completely drunk one night and hopped in his truck, didn’t use a seatbelt, and rolled it 7 times, killing himself at about 55 years old, and luckily nobody else. Mom passed at 47.

Mom was an alcoholic and did a good bit of drugs herself for many years, had guys in and out of the house before and during step-dad’s time (mostly when he was in jail for beating her and my brother and I up several times). Nothing happened to him when he shot me…still can’t understand that one. He was a complete piece of **** and he died from drugs several years ago himself.

I have never wanted anybody’s sympathy or pity for myself and my upbringing, I just wanted to do better on my own. I’m eternally grateful for the Navy giving me a shot (did 22 years and 10 years civil service). I think that’s partially why I’m always so optimistic about the Dolphins and life in general. People can do better.

I grew up despising the way I had to live and promised myself to do better, so as soon as I turned 18 I left for the Navy (best decision I EVER made) and never looked back. Married a great woman, had two awesome kids, and proceeded to setting a new Dad standard with my own family. My wife’s Dad was amazing and treated me like family from day 1…we lost him last year, but I was blessed to have him in my life for 30 years. That was a terrible loss my wife still struggles with. He was a Cowboys fan and one of my fondest memories was he and I watching the thanksgiving snow game where Leon Lett helped our boys out. He was talking SO much trash hahaha…then BAM! They don’t make ‘em like him anymore, and his presence is sorely missed. Took 3 tries, but ended up with a great Dad.

I can relate to some of that. Don’t remember my bio father in the home at all…I was about 1 1/2 when he bounced. He’s an amazing tale on how to royally **** up your life (marriage and kids aside, I’d have to give Mom her share of that debacle). Evidently heroine was all that mattered to him for many years, and this guy had two amazing opportunities that drugs un-did for him. Was a minor league ball player for the As, and had played drums for a few gigs with Santana in the Bay Area. Both pissed away before age 22.

Only saw him a few times growing up and was less than impressed…fought drug and alcohol addictions his whole life, until he left a bar completely drunk one night and hopped in his truck, didn’t use a seatbelt, and rolled it 7 times, killing himself at about 55 years old, and luckily nobody else. Mom passed at 47.

Mom was an alcoholic and did a good bit of drugs herself for many years, had guys in and out of the house before and during step-dad’s time (mostly when he was in jail for beating her and my brother and I up several times). Nothing happened to him when he shot me…still can’t understand that one. He was a complete piece of **** and he died from drugs several years ago himself.

I have never wanted anybody’s sympathy or pity for myself and my upbringing, I just wanted to do better on my own. I’m eternally grateful for the Navy giving me a shot (did 22 years and 10 years civil service). I think that’s partially why I’m always so optimistic about the Dolphins and life in general. People can do better.

I grew up despising the way I had to live and promised myself to do better, so as soon as I turned 18 I left for the Navy (best decision I EVER made) and never looked back. Married a great woman, had two awesome kids, and proceeded to setting a new Dad standard with my own family. My wife’s Dad was amazing and treated me like family from day 1…we lost him last year, but I was blessed to have him in my life for 30 years. That was a terrible loss my wife still struggles with. He was a Cowboys fan and one of my fondest memories was he and I watching the thanksgiving snow game where Leon Lett helped our boys out. He was talking SO much trash hahaha…then BAM! They don’t make ‘em like him anymore, and his presence is sorely missed. Took 3 tries, but ended up with a great Dad.
You're the epitome of resiliency!!! Hope you continue to be the man you've become.

Lots know I lost my Dad in June. This wonderful place has helped a lot in the tough times since. I've made some serious friends on here and in addition to some great people in my life and an awesome family, I'm pushing through. My Dad got me into the Phins all the way back in the late 70s. But, I'm not alone. Many on here are into this great thing that is Phin fandom because of their Dad. For the first time in a long time it looks like we have a chance to be cheering on most Sundays. Let's kick this thing off with a big win for all of those Dads that brought us into this world and are up there watching at the big sports bar in the sky.

Share your Dad story here as we close in on Sunday and kickoff.

View attachment 85201
So sorry to hear that your Dad passed away. Thank you for sharing your story though. That is awesome that you and your Dad are big time Miami Dolphins fans . Your Dad is smiling down on you and is in a better place now. I really like and respect your posts / threads by the way.

Quite an inspirational thread in the end and certainly very moving.

I've just returned home after vising my parents in Ireland. My Dad is nearly 80 and it's really hard to leave - you never know how many more visits there will be. Really great guy, difficult legacy to live up to as a human being, but like all of us I'm trying!

Thanks to all who posted, especially those whose history isn't the easiest to relive.

Back
Top Bottom