Fitzmagic Talks Tua | Page 47 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzmagic Talks Tua

Cmon man what do your eyes see
Herbert has no limits
I am rooting for Tua but there is no comparison presently
Interesting perspective. I was in favor of drafting Herbert over Tua but it was not a strong opinion. Mostly I felt Tua's injury was significant enough that it would take him a while to heal up from, and there was some risk he wouldn't be the same. As time has unfolded though I really appreciate Tua's experience, leadership and personality. I also thinks he works his ass off.
So back to Herbert - I don't think he's the player a lot of others do. He has great throwing strength and he's not a coward, but he lacks some things and has some stats that would concern me if I were his coach.
First, it's pretty well documented that while he fits in fine as "one of the guys"...he's not the leader Tua is. I have a former Center on the Packers that was in the same class as Herbert and played with him all four years at Oregon (Jake Hanson). Herbert has never been a problem but the leadership has never stood out for him.

Second, Herbert has lost more games than he has won. That bothers me.

Thirdly, Herbert gets a lot of his passing yards and scores late in games during garbage time.

Fourthly, Herbert tends to throw a high ball that leads to turnovers

Fifth, and to me one of his biggest problems... Herbert leads the NFL over the past two seasons at Pick 6's... that's as bad a stat as a QB can have IMO.

I understand Tua isn't perfect and maybe it's true that overall Herbert is better, but I like Tua's strengths for the Dolphins much better than "Chuck and duck" with Herbert.

Last thing I'll add is that Tua's first year he was hurt, and he lost game time last season and in both years our Offensive scheme was garbage and our OL was complete trash. This season, when the pocket is clean Tua has a 115% QB rating. I have a feeling that the best of Tua is ahead of him. Especially as our scheme grows and our OL improves. I like his chances to create a lot more discussion on who's the best between he and Herbert.

Was Payton Manning great in Denver? They still won with his limitations in throwing with any zip. PM was just a very cerebral qb with a ton of experience. 1 damn game into the season with a new offense and coach; people already jumping ship. Any top 5 pick warrents 3 full seasons to evaluate properly. Chill and watch Tua blossom
Ravens secondary is a bit banged up for tomorrow so lets hope he can take advantage, yes itā€™s one game but itā€™s the same areas where he continues to struggle.

Cmon man what do your eyes see
Herbert has no limits
I am rooting for Tua but there is no comparison presently
I think herbert is really good, but just showing what others were saying. Interesting tho

Ravens secondary is a bit banged up for tomorrow so lets hope he can take advantage, yes itā€™s one game but itā€™s the same areas where he continues to struggle.
not quite true, stats in that game show Tua's intermediate passes were definitely more accurate and much higher completion in that game that last year. Something he needed to improve upon. Will need to see more of that, but some improvement there already

Interesting perspective. I was in favor of drafting Herbert over Tua but it was not a strong opinion. Mostly I felt Tua's injury was significant enough that it would take him a while to heal up from, and there was some risk he wouldn't be the same. As time has unfolded though I really appreciate Tua's experience, leadership and personality. I also thinks he works his ass off.
So back to Herbert - I don't think he's the player a lot of others do. He has great throwing strength and he's not a coward, but he lacks some things and has some stats that would concern me if I were his coach.
First, it's pretty well documented that while he fits in fine as "one of the guys"...he's not the leader Tua is. I have a former Center on the Packers that was in the same class as Herbert and played with him all four years at Oregon (Jake Hanson). Herbert has never been a problem but the leadership has never stood out for him.

Second, Herbert has lost more games than he has won. That bothers me.

Thirdly, Herbert gets a lot of his passing yards and scores late in games during garbage time.

Fourthly, Herbert tends to throw a high ball that leads to turnovers

Fifth, and to me one of his biggest problems... Herbert leads the NFL over the past two seasons at Pick 6's... that's as bad a stat as a QB can have IMO.

I understand Tua isn't perfect and maybe it's true that overall Herbert is better, but I like Tua's strengths for the Dolphins much better than "Chuck and duck" with Herbert.

Last thing I'll add is that Tua's first year he was hurt, and he lost game time last season and in both years our Offensive scheme was garbage and our OL was complete trash. This season, when the pocket is clean Tua has a 115% QB rating. I have a feeling that the best of Tua is ahead of him. Especially as our scheme grows and our OL improves. I like his chances to create a lot more discussion on who's the best between he and Herbert.
I know the media probably would still ignore it or push it under the rug. But if Tua takes dolphins to playoffs and herbert's chargers miss it again, I think that would be a big statement to me. This is, if Tua obviously plays well and has good stats. I don't expect Tua's passing yards or tds to be as good as herberts, but I could see Tua having a pretty good statistical year. But Tua getting the most important thing and that's wins

I believe if we can protect Tua he can be a Top 10 QB. He earned a 115% QB rating when he had a clean pocket.
The Ravens game is a huge game for both Tua and the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom