Five reason why the Dolphins will be better than the NY Jets | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five reason why the Dolphins will be better than the NY Jets

I love the optimism of the offseason, I have been here since 2004 and every year I hear how Miami will be better than the Jets, it's only happened twice in 8 years

Five Reasons why we will be better than the Jets: Lots of fist pumps after field goals, sparano opting to use the wildcat on 3rd and long, Dirty Sanchez, Tim Tebow, and last but not least Fat Bastard formerly known as Rex Ryan.

rubbinghands-1.gif

Vaark, water literally shot out my nose when I saw this.

Too funny!

It's fun to think about, but the truth to me is we are not there yet for these reasons:

Offensively:

Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are looking to combine offenses (don't knock what philbin did in greenbay, he implemented full offensive gameplans week in an out, it is irrelevent if he called game day plays, he got the teams able to run any and all of those plays)

This is going to be an extremely up tempo, quick twitch, quick decision offense, based on timing and precision. In their first year here, they ABSOLUTELY do not have all the pieces they want or need to run this thing full throttle. They will not only have to implement a physically demanding offense in a short time, but also tweak it to fit what they haveas far as personnel is concerned.

Will it be exciting to watch? you bet. Will it have some early success? almost certainly. But this isn't full throttle yet. In this no-huddle, heavy mix of pass and run, timing based offense, players need conditioning like we haven't seen on the dolphins in a while. They will be weening out the guys who can't hang, and expect next season to be where this thing really explodes.

However, can this kind of offense have some early success against better defenses in the legue? I think so. But is it going to be a packers, saints, pats ect ect calliber offense out of the gate? no. they will value the run game more, and lean on it as thats what the personnel of the team they've taken over has been based on. The only question is what is the time table on their guy, Ryan Tannehill. And is Garrard still Garrard? or does Moore carry the torch for a while? Please don't knock Garrard as some garbage time player, This guy when healthy with little talent or schematic recipe for success has done more than his fair share. He is a respected leader, hard worker, phenomenal passer, and one of the toughest S.O.B's with the ball in his hand. The Jets or any team would be lucky to have a David Garrard on their team.

Defensively:

You can be sure that this side of the ball was beyond out of shape last season, and that was a MAJOR contributor to our early failure and 4th quarter collapses. Miami lost over 5 games by 3 or less in the 4th quarter. We were litteraly about 16 points from being a contender, but that's irrelevent. We all watched games and this side of the ball collapsed at the end of most, players were out of shape and couldn't play a full 60 minutes. They couldn't cover anyone, but against showed a domination at the L.O.S and against the run.

This year, with this type of offense in training camp, you won't see an out of shape defense again. Key players like, Vontae Davis and Karlos Dansby will be in better shape to make a difference. I think you can talk about some other d-coordinators in the NFL as highly touted, and the loss of Mike Nolan could hurt, but he implemented a very heavy run stopping defense. The pressure wasn't good enough, The coverage on the back end and over the middle wasn't good enough. Look to what the Bengals did the past few years on defense. They were in the top 10 this year. They have an extremely respectable defense, but more importantly, they have a very good secondary without a flashy roster.

Kevin Coyle will come to help this defense out. Our secondary, inspite of two very talented young corners, has been our weakest point. These two were not groomed or developed properly. Kevin Coyle will turn this secondary into what it has the potential to be, something very good as a whole unit. We have a lot of young players with some good talent to work with. Our front 7 just needs some schematical fixes, not a full revamp. The focal point needs to be getting to the QB, not stopping the run. we will not longer invest in 5 or 6 290lb+ d-linemen. We have a hyrbrid front to transition ourselves, but passrush will be key this year and in the future. Its the one true weakness on this team, but with a new front, we may find that some players on this team had the ability already, but weren't in the right spot to succeed:

The Question of the Thread:

The thread asks are the dolphins better then the jets? Probably not.

But the direction were headed in is the right one. The Jets will continue to bang their head on the wall with that old mentality style of football.

Did they do THAT better then us? I think so. But is that how you win a superbowl today? no. The ravens tried to do that. it didnt work this year. they jets big claim is 2 conference championships. it didn't work. the 49'ers... it didnt work. the bears vs colts it didnt work.

If you cant throw the ball with the best then its going to be a long road and the chances of you getting in are unlikely. that road is too rough. Atleast our front office has realized that and wants to change with the times.

For the record I think the jets defense had a crap year but rex will bring it back to form this year. I still don't think the front 7 is top 5 in this league but they can make it work. the dolphins front 7 is better without a doubt. But the backend has never backed us up, under Kevin Coyle we may be able to. offensively i think we all know where theyre headed with sparano, and where were headed with philbin, ill put money on us.

Also our offense will match up better now against teams like that.

im hungry, peace

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed this was a bleacher report article but it was comedic nonetheless.

better QB situation:lol: 2 guys w/ 5 career playoff wins in 5 combined seasons(4 as starters) vs. a rookie w/ potential(he could be better) and a vet who has never had any successx in this league except when his team is out of the race.

I'll give you better RB situation but it's close but to say each is better than any RB the Jets have is silly, Greene is probably the best RB on either team but you have better depth.

better offensive scheme? maybe, Philbin wasn't running those GB O's so we'll see what he can do w/o McCarthy holding his hand.

comparable defense, the #s were similar last year but you were out of the race by October. Our is better by a failr wide margin and one of the reasons is rex will be calling the D again.

Superior team character? the character that led you to 0-7? the character that has never won a playoff game(most have never seen one). I'll take the character of our team that knows how to win.

That was good for a laugh.

Good character might not win you a game but bad character WILL lose you games when your #1 WR walks off the field like a 12 year old.

It's fun to think about, but the truth to me is we are not there yet for these reasons:

Offensively:

Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are looking to combine offenses (don't knock what philbin did in greenbay, he implemented full offensive gameplans week in an out, it is irrelevent if he called game day plays, he got the teams able to run any and all of those plays)

This is going to be an extremely up tempo, quick twitch, quick decision offense, based on timing and precision. In their first year here, they ABSOLUTELY do not have all the pieces they want or need to run this thing full throttle. They will not only have to implement a physically demanding offense in a short time, but also tweak it to fit what they haveas far as personnel is concerned.

Will it be exciting to watch? you bet. Will it have some early success? almost certainly. But this isn't full throttle yet. In this no-huddle, heavy mix of pass and run, timing based offense, players need conditioning like we haven't seen on the dolphins in a while. They will be weening out the guys who can't hang, and expect next season to be where this thing really explodes.

However, can this kind of offense have some early success against better defenses in the legue? I think so. But is it going to be a packers, saints, pats ect ect calliber offense out of the gate? no. they will value the run game more, and lean on it as thats what the personnel of the team they've taken over has been based on. The only question is what is the time table on their guy, Ryan Tannehill. And is Garrard still Garrard? or does Moore carry the torch for a while? Please don't knock Garrard as some garbage time player, This guy when healthy with little talent or schematic recipe for success has done more than his fair share. He is a respected leader, hard worker, phenomenal passer, and one of the toughest S.O.B's with the ball in his hand. The Jets or any team would be lucky to have a David Garrard on their team.

Defensively:

You can be sure that this side of the ball was beyond out of shape last season, and that was a MAJOR contributor to our early failure and 4th quarter collapses. Miami lost over 5 games by 3 or less in the 4th quarter. We were litteraly about 16 points from being a contender, but that's irrelevent. We all watched games and this side of the ball collapsed at the end of most, players were out of shape and couldn't play a full 60 minutes. They couldn't cover anyone, but against showed a domination at the L.O.S and against the run.

This year, with this type of offense in training camp, you won't see an out of shape defense again. Key players like, Vontae Davis and Karlos Dansby will be in better shape to make a difference. I think you can talk about some other d-coordinators in the NFL as highly touted, and the loss of Mike Nolan could hurt, but he implemented a very heavy run stopping defense. The pressure wasn't good enough, The coverage on the back end and over the middle wasn't good enough. Look to what the Bengals did the past few years on defense. They were in the top 10 this year. They have an extremely respectable defense, but more importantly, they have a very good secondary without a flashy roster.

Kevin Coyle will come to help this defense out. Our secondary, inspite of two very talented young corners, has been our weakest point. These two were not groomed or developed properly. Kevin Coyle will turn this secondary into what it has the potential to be, something very good as a whole unit. We have a lot of young players with some good talent to work with. Our front 7 just needs some schematical fixes, not a full revamp. The focal point needs to be getting to the QB, not stopping the run. we will not longer invest in 5 or 6 290lb+ d-linemen. We have a hyrbrid front to transition ourselves, but passrush will be key this year and in the future. Its the one true weakness on this team, but with a new front, we may find that some players on this team had the ability already, but weren't in the right spot to succeed:

The Question of the Thread:

The thread asks are the dolphins better then the jets? Probably not.

But the direction were headed in is the right one. The Jets will continue to bang their head on the wall with that old mentality style of football.

Did they do THAT better then us? I think so. But is that how you win a superbowl today? no. The ravens tried to do that. it didnt work this year. they jets big claim is 2 conference championships. it didn't work. the 49'ers... it didnt work. the bears vs colts it didnt work.

If you cant throw the ball with the best then its going to be a long road and the chances of you getting in are unlikely. that road is too rough. Atleast our front office has realized that and wants to change with the times.

For the record I think the jets defense had a crap year but rex will bring it back to form this year. I still don't think the front 7 is top 5 in this league but they can make it work. the dolphins front 7 is better without a doubt. But the backend has never backed us up, under Kevin Coyle we may be able to. offensively i think we all know where theyre headed with sparano, and where were headed with philbin, ill put money on us.

Also our offense will match up better now against teams like that.

im hungry, peace

how can you say it doesn't work when the Jets, Ravens, Bears and Niners all made title games in the past 2 years and all had chances to win if they get the right bounce of the ball? it works, it hasn't resulted in a SB title yet but those teams have been right there w/ a chance to reach SBs.

Good character might not win you a game but bad character WILL lose you games when your #1 WR walks off the field like a 12 year old.

He was benched and the game was over anyway. I'm not condoning his behavior but I'd rather see a guy pissed off b/c the season didn't go the right way than just accept losing.

Um, isn't sparano the new jets OC? LOL! and we're gonna talk about sherman and philbin being bad? jets fans....stupid.

I am actually a little concerned about what Tony can do for the Jets. They are a team that relies on their D, and a running game, conservative O. It seems that the play calling has gotten away from that. If the O and Sanchez would just maintain field position and not turn the ball over they would win because teams would break down against that D. There best offensive games were a result of the D just punishing the other teams O and the game turning into a mess. Last year when they tried to pass and left the D with short fields they were exposed.

Back
Top Bottom