Five reason why the Dolphins will be better than the NY Jets | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five reason why the Dolphins will be better than the NY Jets

I'd say Miami and New York will battle it out for last place in the AFC East this year with both teams around 5-6 wins. In the long run, though, I think the Dolphins could have a better young nucleus especially if Ryan Tannehill develops under Joe Philibin. I think that's a good bet. The Jets will very likely be looking for a quarterback next year and that's a bad spot to have a weakness -- as we have seen since Dan Marino retired. The Dolphins are building toward 2014 IMO, at which point Tom Brady will be a couple of years older and closer to retirement, and Tannehill should have a year under his belt as a starting quarterback.

The point is that the dolphins finished on a positive note for the future this past season. We may be counted out or mocked, but the dolphins are just below .500 as a team right now. we are a lower middle of the pack team but with a solid young core to build around.

knock philbin all you want. No one is saying Miami made a mistake going from sparano to philbin. I dont care to compare him to rex ryan. they are very different types of coaches. Rex is a defensive minded players coach. Philbin is an offensive minded teacher. If you don't believe that Joe Philbin is a good candidate for a head coach then simply google his resume and the success he has had on every level in the sport of football.

I think calling him a "puppet of mccarthy" is just ignorant. The only opinion that matters is that of people that have worked directly with him. Everyone, from the coaching staff in greenbay to the players, to college programs he was involved in, to NFL analysts and ex coaches/Gm's like charlie casserly have high opinions of him.

There is no reason not to be optimistic about what this coach can do with a middle of the pack team in a few short years. I think the dolphins future looks pretty bright. I don't see the jets doing ANYTHING different from the past 3 years. its the same formula with the same players or WORSE. If it didnt work 3 years in a row why is going to now? Talk about AFC championship but that means nothing its just a lost season like 31 other teams those years. The nfl is about improving and adapting. I see the dolphins trying to do that, I do not see the jets doing it.

Reactions: MD
I assumed this was a bleacher report article but it was comedic nonetheless.

better QB situation:lol: 2 guys w/ 5 career playoff wins in 5 combined seasons(4 as starters) vs. a rookie w/ potential(he could be better) and a vet who has never had any successx in this league except when his team is out of the race.

I'll give you better RB situation but it's close but to say each is better than any RB the Jets have is silly, Greene is probably the best RB on either team but you have better depth.

better offensive scheme? maybe, Philbin wasn't running those GB O's so we'll see what he can do w/o McCarthy holding his hand.

comparable defense, the #s were similar last year but you were out of the race by October. Our is better by a failr wide margin and one of the reasons is rex will be calling the D again.

Superior team character? the character that led you to 0-7? the character that has never won a playoff game(most have never seen one). I'll take the character of our team that knows how to win.

That was good for a laugh.

Sparano will be running Henning's offense.
Good luck with that. :lol:
That sounds off the most to me.
Think about it... Sanchez has been developed wrong with a D coach who has no answers. Tebow puts lots of asses in the seats.
I sound like the obvious guy here.
Better be damn profitable running the football.

I wouldn't, we have a QB for the next decade and those other QBs are chokers that have had more talent around them and won less in january.

Oh man, this is awesome. I do not post much on here, but this guy is absolutely insane. Whats positive about having a BAD quarterback "for the next decade?" I mean, I am friends with tons of EDUCATED Jet fans and not ONE of them would ever state that Mark Sanchez is even 'above average'. I mean, average would be stretching it. His arm is suspect, his decision making is horrendous and his overall play is well below average. He is sub par for a middle round pick, so now throw in he is a #5 overall pick...can we say "draft bust"?

Listen, the Jet's may be slightly better (if at all) than the Fins right now, but its very clear that Miami's future looks MUCH brighter at this time. It sure wouldn't be out of the realm of reality to see Miami finish higher than the Jets and beat them 1 or even both times. Anyways, BUT to even HINT that Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback is ludicrous. And to say you wouldnt trade him for first round picks, Matt Ryan, etc....show's that you are either very uneducated or a complete HOMER. If a team flashed two 1st round picks in front of Rex's face and offered that trade, Rex and the GM would personally pack Mark's clothes and give him a pop tart for the bus ride. This is awesome to read though as it gives me something to laugh at.

He was benched and the game was over anyway. I'm not condoning his behavior but I'd rather see a guy pissed off b/c the season didn't go the right way than just accept losing.

You do so well until you try to make excuses for EVERY Jet shortcoming. Trying to excuse (not condone, excuse) his behavior is ridiculous. You don't quit on your teammates.

Regarding the character of the Dolphins, your comment on their 0-7 start is convenient in that it leaves out them winning 6 of their last 9, when they had NOTHING to play for but their pride. That's pretty much the antonym for quitting.

I'm willing to concede a few of the points here, but superior character isn't one of them.

Here's my take:
  • I agree that the Fins have a better QB situation. I really like Matt Moore, and he certainly was a better QB last season than Sanchez. I'm not a Tannehill fan, but if he's NOT pushed into the starter's role and given time to learn and mature, he might be really good in a season or two, so there's potential is there for improvement. I think Miami's big advantage over the Jests is that they don't have Circus Tebow in town. That's NOT Tebow's fault, but rather the fault of the idiot Tebots that follow him around -- and especially the fault of the Jests' FO for inviting trouble.
  • I also agree about the running game. The Jests want to "ground and pound" but they don't have the offensive line or the RBs to make it happen. Their running game was anemic last season (29th in ypc), and it's NOT going to be better this season.
  • I don't think that it's a given that the Miami offense will be better than last season. Sometimes teams don't transition well. Still, Mike Sherman >>> Tony Sparano.
  • I also don't think that the transition to the 4-3 on defense will necessarily go smoothly for Miami. Sometimes the transitions do go well, but sometimes the personnel just doesn't fit. The Bills struggled transitioning from 4-3 to a 3-4, part of it was personnel and part of it was coaching, but now they're back to the 4-3 with Wannstadt. Hopefully, the Phins will have good luck with theirs.
  • That said, the Jets haven't improved their D very much, and it was suspect last season. Their safeties remain issues. Unless Coples becomes a pass rushing beast as a rookie, they probably won't have much.
  • The Jets still have locker room issues that are directly related to Sanchez's poor play and the questionable attitudes of some of their players.
  • Rex Ryan may be a great defensive coach but I'm skeptical about him as a HC.

May not be great but he's as good as Sanchez at the least. We probably have 3 QBs who're gonna be better than whichever of your 2 start. What nobody has mentioned yet is that Moore has leadership qualities, he rallies his offense, interacts, encourages and earns their respect. Sanchez is known around the league including by his teammates as a coddled princess who sulks sitting off by the end of the bench when things don't go right, on the verge of tears. Moore is a man, Sanchez is a sensitive boy and that's a big difference.

How is he as good as Sanchez? B/c he can put up decent #s w/ no pressure to win? Sanchez alone has 3 more playoff wins than your 3 QBs, Tebow has as many as your 3 QBs combined.

Moore is a man that is a backup, sanchez sulkd his way to WINS.

ahhh the same old "no pressure to win" argument you use literally every single time, very original, so week 16 against the Jets with "no pressure to win" Moore led his team on a 21 play drive to take the lead, and won the game, so if Matt Moore WON a game vs a division rival on the last game of the season to eliminate them from any backdoor playoff shot, what does that mean for Sanchez, a QB with everything to play for last game of the season vs divison rival, vs a team with a QB with "no pressure" threw 3 interceptions including 2 to the same defensive lineman and lost the game

Sanchez and the TEAM were terrible the last few weeks, it was an embarrassing for the D to allow such a drive but the team was shot by that point. 2 years of winning big games means more than a few weeks of losing them.

Rex Ryan does not suck as a HC. I didn't claim that and whoever did is wrong. McCarthy ran plays that Philbin came up with.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The Jets were already eliminated either heading into the game vs the Dolphins or during I do believe. That being said, there's no such thing as 'no-pressure' games. Matt Moore wants to remain the starting QB for this team and the best way to achieve that is to play well. A QB can't continually suck and expect to remain as the team's starter.

So you think the reason GB had so much success was b/c of the plays Philbin designed rather than the elite talent they had on O? Seriously?

There are no pressure games, Miami didn't have any pressure to win after they beat KC, they were out of the race and they weren't going winless. I guess it's just a coincidence Moore was "great" late in '09 when Car was out of it, sucked from day 1 in '10 w/ Car, sucked w/ Miami when they were still 0-3 and played "great" after they were 0-7.

The Yates example just showed how absurd your logic was, and I think it did it very effectively. Sanchez didn’t win any playoff games last year, so all we really have to go by is QB rating, and Moore toasts him at that.

Yep, QB rating tells us all:lol:

NYJunC, you're dismissing Moore because of his 2009 season, when he was suffering concussion effects? After that entire team mailed it in thanks to their lame duck head coach (who was subsequently fired)? That's a pretty weak argument.

Stats can mean whatever you want them to mean. The fact that you wouldn't trade Sanchez for Rivers or Ryan tells me everything I need to know about your ability to judge quarterback talent. Good lord you're delusional.

That being said Miami isn't better than New York. They have more talent at some key positions, but somehow NY is typically splitting with Miami and seems to fall short. Oh well.

what about 2011 Miami? sucks when he takes over at 0-3, "great" when the team is 0-7.

Have you seen Rivers and Ryan play in big games? SD was considered the most talented team in the NFL for many years and Rivers made 1 title game- he did so w/ Billy Volek leading SD to the GW TD after Rivers got hurt in Indy.

Matt Ryan has been a disaster in postseason.

Both guys have time to turn it around but nothing either guy has shown me tells me they will be better than Sanchez in january.

We definitely should, at least that would contain him and his worthless posts. Of course, it's not solely his fault. It's also the people who just have to argue with him every single time, cause I'm sure that the 999th time is the time he's going to see the light as opposed to the usual "Jets suck" "No, they don't" "Yes, they do" "No, they don't" "Yes, they do" crap, repeated for countless thread pages.

I love when people who never contribute anything to the board waste their few prcious posts whining about me.

junc(paraphrasing): "stats mean nothing when rating a QB. It's all about playoff wins"

junc on why Stafford is elite: "Stafford was better last year. More TDs, same # of INts, More WINs, more PPG for his O w/ less offensive weapons."

Stats only seem to matter when they feed your delusional agenda, huh?

we can add reading to your issues. I never said stats are completely meaningless, I said they tell part of the story. Stafford had better #s, more wins, led O to more PPG. Where is the debate?

LMFAO @ Stafford was better than Eli last season!

All you can do is post stats. Stay in your fantasy football chat rooms, please.

Of course Stafford had better numbers. He had a better offense to work with.

Question: Do the New York Giants win the Super Bowl without Eli Manning?

Answer: NO

Question: Do the New York Giants win the Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford?

Answer: NO

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

People like this don't shop at the grocery stores that JCane shops at.

That scenario sounds like Wal-Mart.

:lol:

he had the best player to work w/ but Eli has MANY more weapons. #1 is Calvin, #s 2-6 are all Giants.

if Stafford had that D and those Giant weapons? of course they win the SB especially since Eli did nothing in the title game- a game won on D and STs(and a blown fumble call).

Bottom line is this, Junc is afraid that Tannehill will be the next big thing. Though he probably wont admit it. But I remember him saying, in the super Manning to Miami thread, that he would be more worried about us drafting a young QB over acquiring Manning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I have lived through marino and now Brady, Tannehill doesn't worry me in the least. I am as afraid of him as I was Daunte Culpepper, Trent Green, John Beck & Chad Henne.

That is true, I would rather you guys got an old, broken down Manning for a few years than possibly having a franchise QB for the next decade+ but I am not worried.

Actually, that would be the character that pushed the team to bounce back after such a terrible start and finish the season with a respectable 6-3 record.

Your team has no character. Your lockroom experiences arguments within, big egos, player fallouts etc. You have no team cohesion whatsoever. Zilch.

You have a head coach whose close to breaking point, an offesive co-ordinator who knows nothing about offensive, two inept QBs who can't throw the ball and you just added to your media circus of Tebow, Holmes et al. by wasting a first round pick on Coples. Your one Revis injury away from a top 5 pick.

Waqs it character or the fact our players didn't play very well? You thinkn we made title games b/c of character the previous 2 years?

i dont care how many playoff games sanchez was apart of (bc he certainly didnt have anything to do with winning them) how many rings does he have? bc thats all that really matters.
ill give you some time to answer

he's only played 3 years in this league and he has the same amount as marino.

What I don't understand is how juncs argument for Sanchez is his success in January yet he doesn't seem to respect Eli. In fact he even states that he would take Matt Stafford over Eli based on his Stats. Eli was the most clutch QB from whenever the Dallas game was until the end of the Super Bowl and was statistically the best 4th quarter QB in the entire NFL. The cherry on top is beating arguably the best QB/coach combination of all time in the Super Bowl not once, but twice. To me, being the Pats hater I am, Eli Manning is a folk hero and Mark Sanchez is not close. Remember it's about January not stats and from 2007 to present who has been better in January than Eli, rings back it up.

I respect Eli, he played excellent football this past January and was very good during the reg season. Taht doesn't mean I forget 25 INts just a season ago, leading his talented team to just 9 reg season wins, no playoff apps since '08 and playoff wins in only 2 of 8 seasons.

The point is that the dolphins finished on a positive note for the future this past season. We may be counted out or mocked, but the dolphins are just below .500 as a team right now. we are a lower middle of the pack team but with a solid young core to build around.

knock philbin all you want. No one is saying Miami made a mistake going from sparano to philbin. I dont care to compare him to rex ryan. they are very different types of coaches. Rex is a defensive minded players coach. Philbin is an offensive minded teacher. If you don't believe that Joe Philbin is a good candidate for a head coach then simply google his resume and the success he has had on every level in the sport of football.

I think calling him a "puppet of mccarthy" is just ignorant. The only opinion that matters is that of people that have worked directly with him. Everyone, from the coaching staff in greenbay to the players, to college programs he was involved in, to NFL analysts and ex coaches/Gm's like charlie casserly have high opinions of him.

There is no reason not to be optimistic about what this coach can do with a middle of the pack team in a few short years. I think the dolphins future looks pretty bright. I don't see the jets doing ANYTHING different from the past 3 years. its the same formula with the same players or WORSE. If it didnt work 3 years in a row why is going to now? Talk about AFC championship but that means nothing its just a lost season like 31 other teams those years. The nfl is about improving and adapting. I see the dolphins trying to do that, I do not see the jets doing it.

You finished on a positive note and cleaned house, whatever momentum you think you had is gone. The last time we choked away a season was 2008, in 2009 we made the title game.

You do so well until you try to make excuses for EVERY Jet shortcoming. Trying to excuse (not condone, excuse) his behavior is ridiculous. You don't quit on your teammates.

Regarding the character of the Dolphins, your comment on their 0-7 start is convenient in that it leaves out them winning 6 of their last 9, when they had NOTHING to play for but their pride. That's pretty much the antonym for quitting.

I'm willing to concede a few of the points here, but superior character isn't one of them.

What excuses do I make> I said we sucked last season, where am I making an excuse? I didn't excuse Holmes, he deserves to be bashed but again I'd prefer guys being pissed at losing rather than accepting it.

I'll tip my cap to the dolphins for not quitting after 0-7.

Here's my take:
  • I agree that the Fins have a better QB situation. I really like Matt Moore, and he certainly was a better QB last season than Sanchez. I'm not a Tannehill fan, but if he's NOT pushed into the starter's role and given time to learn and mature, he might be really good in a season or two, so there's potential is there for improvement. I think Miami's big advantage over the Jests is that they don't have Circus Tebow in town. That's NOT Tebow's fault, but rather the fault of the idiot Tebots that follow him around -- and especially the fault of the Jests' FO for inviting trouble.
  • I also agree about the running game. The Jests want to "ground and pound" but they don't have the offensive line or the RBs to make it happen. Their running game was anemic last season (29th in ypc), and it's NOT going to be better this season.
  • I don't think that it's a given that the Miami offense will be better than last season. Sometimes teams don't transition well. Still, Mike Sherman >>> Tony Sparano.
  • I also don't think that the transition to the 4-3 on defense will necessarily go smoothly for Miami. Sometimes the transitions do go well, but sometimes the personnel just doesn't fit. The Bills struggled transitioning from 4-3 to a 3-4, part of it was personnel and part of it was coaching, but now they're back to the 4-3 with Wannstadt. Hopefully, the Phins will have good luck with theirs.
  • That said, the Jets haven't improved their D very much, and it was suspect last season. Their safeties remain issues. Unless Coples becomes a pass rushing beast as a rookie, they probably won't have much.
  • The Jets still have locker room issues that are directly related to Sanchez's poor play and the questionable attitudes of some of their players.
  • Rex Ryan may be a great defensive coach but I'm skeptical about him as a HC.

can't take your QB assessment seriously as you think Fitz is better than Sanchez.

There is no QB controversy, that's a media thing. Tebow is working on STs, if the CS thought for a second that he might be starting at some point why would they put him on STs covering punts?

Shonn Greene 1st half: 132-502, 3.8 YPC
Shonn Greene 2nd half: 121-552, 4.6 YPC

as the OL got healthier we ran it more effectively, one of the reasons we lost the Denn game was b/c he got hurt early and only ran it 3 times. Our OL should be much healthier going into the season and while we don't have a great duo we do have a quality starter who, despite OL issues all year, averaged 4.2 YPC for the year last year.

Tony Sparano wasn't Miami's OC last year

The Jets haven't improved our D?

Adding Coples & Davis through the draft, signing Landry & bell at S, getting Bryan Thomas back, having Rex call the D again. I don't often make bold predecitions but I guarantee you will see a much better defense this year.

what LR issues? That is so overblown, they ended the season poorly, the team was pissed. The same issues that were there in ttile game runs were w/ them last year. It's about wins and losses. It's nice that Buf and Mia players accept losing but the jets under rex do not.

You are skeptical about Rex as a HC who has 2 title game apps in 3 years as a HC but you are convinced 60 year old Chan Gailey who has never won a playoff ame as a HC is a good HC? I love it:lol:

tannehill is beck 2.0
we have two championship game appearances, you have zero since the Clinton Administration
philbin is larry coker-lite, maybe larry coker-superior
our logo and colors are much more civilized and better than yours
sanchez > whatever garbage miami trots out every day.

HA! HA! HA! 5 reasons why the JETS rule! HA! HA! HA!

There should be a mandatory IQ test one has to pass before being allowed to post here

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

48-44-1 JETS, enough said, end the thread! HA! HA! HA! HA!

This is what you call 'owning' the Dolphins? Besides, how many of those games were you even alive for?

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

The user "greenrules008" is no longer with us.

:lol:

Can I be a Mod now so that I can boot people too?

So you think the reason GB had so much success was b/c of the plays Philbin designed rather than the elite talent they had on O? Seriously?

There are no pressure games, Miami didn't have any pressure to win after they beat KC, they were out of the race and they weren't going winless. I guess it's just a coincidence Moore was "great" late in '09 when Car was out of it, sucked from day 1 in '10 w/ Car, sucked w/ Miami when they were still 0-3 and played "great" after they were 0-7.

Green Bay had/has success b/c of the play calling, the play creation, McCarthy, Philbin (back then), Aaron Rodgers and the entire offense.

I don't understand how a team can have no pressure to win. If a team consistently loses, they lose fans which means they lose money. When a team loses money, the **** hits the fan.

The same can be said for a QB. If a QB doesn't play well, he gets benched. That is the exact opposite of what the QB is playing for so how can you say Moore (or insert any other QB) didn't have pressure? I understand when you have a 2-0 team playing another 2-10 in regards to the game not having much of a meaning on the standings but neither team ever would've wanted to be 2-10 at that point. The pressure, while not as great as teams looking to make the playoffs, has to be high considering those 2-10 teams do not want to be that bad.

I guess it's just a coincidence Moore was "great" late in '09 when Car was out of it, sucked from day 1 in '10 w/ Car, sucked w/ Miami when they were still 0-3 and played "great" after they were 0-7.

Like always you lump some folks' opinions in with everyone else to make your point look mighty. Moore to me is an average QB who can make some plays but also makes mistakes. He was alright last year. Wasn't nor will ever be a franchise QB.

What he did with Carolina isn't relevant in this discussion.

Green Bay had/has success b/c of the play calling, the play creation, McCarthy, Philbin (back then), Aaron Rodgers and the entire offense.

I don't understand how a team can have no pressure to win. If a team consistently loses, they lose fans which means they lose money. When a team loses money, the **** hits the fan.

The same can be said for a QB. If a QB doesn't play well, he gets benched. That is the exact opposite of what the QB is playing for so how can you say Moore (or insert any other QB) didn't have pressure? I understand when you have a 2-0 team playing another 2-10 in regards to the game not having much of a meaning on the standings but neither team ever would've wanted to be 2-10 at that point. The pressure, while not as great as teams looking to make the playoffs, has to be high considering those 2-10 teams do not want to be that bad.

You can have the greatest offensive scheme ever but if you don't have talent it's not going to work.

The players don't care about the team losing money, even the worst teams make money in this league. They had pressure not to go winless when they were getting to midseason w/o a win but they didn't have any pressure to win as they were out of it by early october.

Like always you lump some folks' opinions in with everyone else to make your point look mighty. Moore to me is an average QB who can make some plays but also makes mistakes. He was alright last year. Wasn't nor will ever be a franchise QB.

What he did with Carolina isn't relevant in this discussion.

I respond to many different people, sometimes it spills over.

What he did in maimi is- he was awful when he had a chance to help save the season and he was "great" when the season was over.

clear.gif

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

we can add reading to your issues. I never said stats are completely meaningless, I said they tell part of the story. Stafford had better #s, more wins, led O to more PPG. Where is the debate?

You can't call my reading comprehension into question. You consistantly claim that stats mean nothing when defending that p*ss poor pedophile you call a QB and then you turn around and use stats to defend your claims of other QB's greatness. This is a fact and this thread is proof. Anyone on this site would back me on this. That makes you either an idiot or a hypocrite. So which is it?

As for the debate, there is no debating with you. Much like the slow kid on the long school bus ride home, it's all about saying the same nonsense over and over and louder and louder with you until thiose of us without a mental hadicap throw our hands in the air and say "whatever".

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

"Eli did nothing in the Super Bowl."

Sillyness.

Blind hate right there.

I much nicer word than I would use to describe such "logic".

You can have the greatest offensive scheme ever but if you don't have talent it's not going to work.

Right. It goes hand in hand. Can't have one without the other. The schemes are great because of the players and the players are great because of the schemes.

The players don't care about the team losing money, even the worst teams make money in this league. They had pressure not to go winless when they were getting to midseason w/o a win but they didn't have any pressure to win as they were out of it by early october.

No. There's pressure on all teams. A team that consistently sucks is never a good thing for the them or the NFL.

What he did in maimi is- he was awful when he had a chance to help save the season and he was "great" when the season was over.

Run this through your skull. I never said he was great. Don't use other people's words when directly responding to me.

Back
Top Bottom