Flores had me fooled | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores had me fooled

I thought we were solidly grounded and heading in the right direction after last season with the sky being the limit!

Having spent decades in high level staffing of high level executives, I should have taken the warning signs more seriously.

vis a vis: Our DC leaving for a parallel position with the Giants, the ridding of O'Shea who seemed to do an acceptable job and was growing with the OC position, Fitz and his mommy demanding a trade, the jettisoning of a whole bunch of veterans including Skura , the inability to evaluate Jackson's weaknesses until it was too late and obvious, the two under-qualified OCs as if not to piss one of them off.. for starters

These should have been decision-making redflags to me; I'm embarrassed I wasn't more cautious and conditional in my praise for Flo.
You hit it dead center.

You mean to tell me Fitzpatrick may have a higher IQ the the head coach Flores? I'm f'n shocked!!!

Fitz was a 15 year vet and Harvard grad who functioned as a coach on the field. We were never going to win big with him at QB, but he could at least run the offense to competence.

On defense, we won with a lot of smoke and mirrors and 0 blitzes. We also got very lucky on turnovers.

Some of y’all act like we went to the Super Bowl last year. We were a lucky 10-6 and missed the playoffs. We were a handful of plays away from being 6-10.
And we're a handful of plays from being 4-2 this year.

Absolutely true. This is the variance of the NFL. The difference between good and bad isn’t that big, which is how Adam Gase makes the playoffs one year then goes 6-10 the next.

Mediocre teams should go roughly 8-8. But just like flipping a coin, even if your odds are 50/50, you may well get heads—or tails—10 or 11 times out of 16. And some years your schedule may shake out where your odds are a little better or a little worse than 8-8 even if you’re the most average team in the league.

We are sub-mediocre. We are probably a 6-10 quality team. So we may end up going 4-13, or we may end up going 8-9, but the point is that we were mediocre and lucky last year and we’re worse and unlucky this year.

And one play away from being 0-6.

IMO, if Miami had actually done what they should've done over the off-season (such as getting a better QB, o-line, and running game, etc.), they could be 6-0 right now. That Buffalo game was winnable. Allen wasn't great that day, but Miami wasn't able to take advantage of that; they couldn't even protect their QB! That said, their failure to get a good QB, improve the o-line and running game, and the poor play of the defense are why I'm happy to see them lose so that Ross can clean house. Not only did Grier and Flores waste these 3 years, but they had enough draft picks to add a ton of talent to the team yet ended up making the team even worse than it was before!

Yeah, I was fooled. I started getting nervous with all the new assistants every year, and the OC fiasco had me getting much more worried. And the true errors of coaching 101 this year has opened my eyes. I'll wait a full three years before I trust the next coach.

What a minute?!?! A coach from the Belichick tree has failed as a head coach? Has this ever happened before? (very heavy dose of sarcasm)

A good article about Hobby leaving. There's a few quotes by him about what he was looking from an organizational HC/Staff perspective. With the coaching turnover we've seen in Miami, these quotes stand out to me and hint at those internal issues. Or maybe i'm just super sensitive to it given the background checks i ran on the current staff and the opinion i currently have of Flo and Grier.

First of all, great article, thanks for that. Can you share any tidbits you may have gleaned In the background checks?

Back
Top Bottom