Flores had me fooled | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores had me fooled

The thing to remember about Flores is that he has relatively little coaching experience. Specifically, he worked only for the Patriots and not as a coordinator.

Whether quality coaches don’t want to work for him or he just doesn’t know how to hire quality coaches, I have no idea. All I do know is the coaches he has hired aren’t getting the job done.
This. Especially the OL coaches. My dream is to see what Scarnecchia could do with the bunch we have now.

I remember being super concerned after that beat down the bills handed us in the last week of the year. Seems my worst fears were realized and I really wish I was wrong.

I thought we were solidly grounded and heading in the right direction after last season with the sky being the limit!

Having spent decades in high level staffing of high level executives, I should have taken the warning signs more seriously.

vis a vis: Our DC leaving for a parallel position with the Giants, the ridding of O'Shea who seemed to do an acceptable job and was growing with the OC position, Fitz and his mommy demanding a trade, the jettisoning of a whole bunch of veterans including Skura , the inability to evaluate Jackson's weaknesses until it was too late and obvious, the two under-qualified OCs as if not to piss one of them off.. for starters

These should have been decision-making redflags to me; I'm embarrassed I wasn't more cautious and conditional in my praise for Flo.

I remember being super concerned after that beat down the bills handed us in the last week of the year. Seems my worst fears were realized and I really wish I was wrong.

That game told us everything we needed to know about Flores. The rest was smoke and mirrors. And a familiar sight for Miami. As we've had coaches go on runs like his team went on in the past just before exposing themselves as frauds.

The hiring process was flawed from the beginning. Not many wanted to admit this then, perhaps some will admit it now. But the hiring process was a disaster and it was always very unlikely that it would lead to a good result.

If you wish to hire the best available candidate, you do not set out to hire a candidate with prejudice in mind. You do not declare that you are looking for a person of a certain background, whether it is their personal background, their football background, or whatever. That was the first mistake.

The second mistake is hiring from another organization just because it is successful. Oh, this guy worked at Tesla? Their market cap is huge! Wow! He must know what he's doing. Reality: He's probably the dumbass who decided the car's operating system should run on JavaScript. That could be why he's available for the job.

The third mistake is qualifications. So, this guy has never actually managed a facility before, but your best facility manager has him in charge of quality control. That means he must be ready to run his own facility, right? I mean sure, he hasn't really handled a supervisory position before, but quality control is close enough. No, it's not.

The fourth mistake is nepotism. The organization is not a jobs program for your boys. Self-explanatory.

Every part of the hiring process for the head coach was a huge red flag.

I hope we can still be friends, but I’m maybe one of the extremely few who like Flores. He has always impressed me in terms of presence, leadership, and football philosophy.

Having said that, the team is dysfunctional and terrible. They’ve taken a step back. A lot of it falls on Grier, but it’s not going well.

There seems to be a dysfunction in the chemistry on the field. Flores also seems epically stubborn to a fault. He won’t do the obvious. His game day moves yesterday reflected a beleaguered and pressing coach.

Ultimately, the team is careening off a cliff, and you have to put fault on Flores (albeit not all of it).

I have said it before, but Flores’ hiring/firing of the staff is demonstrably incompetent. This staff is worse than bad. I do like Studesville and how he’s developed the running backs (even though the roster at the position is weak). I don’t know that we are getting good player development elsewhere. Maybe Austin Clark at D line but the jury is out. The turnover each off-season is ridiculous. The quality of assistants is atrocious.

Then you have an incompetent GM. He should be mentoring Flores and giving him help and constructive feedback on the staff, even if the final decision is (rightfully) Flores’. Others in the organization should have talked Flores offer the ledge with the erratic handling of the staff.

The assistant coaches are a huge part of the equation, even if it’s oft-overlooked.

I like Flores but none of the above is defensible and I can understand if his future is precarious. He’s got no excuses. The product has to be a lot better.

Last year, I thought we had our man for head coach for the foreseeable future. Can't believe he's fallen out of favor with me so quickly but I've seen enough.

Wasted TOs by way of terrible challenges, terrible play calls by way of the offense, no awareness at the end of the game and going for it/not going for it in strange spots. Brandon Jones learned a tough lesson with 1 second left but his coach should have made that entire huddle aware of that possible scenario but clearly left his guys hanging.

Was last year's false results a product of Fitz been an energetic, fighter than pushed these guys further than they should have gone? I'm thinking so as it clearly wasn't a product of coach Flo as I thought it was.

Basically Fitz in the jordan of the NFL haha but seriously loved the man!
There are some games we should not have won last year, most notably the Raiders game.

I hope we can still be friends, but I’m maybe one of the extremely few who like Flores. He has always impressed me in terms of presence, leadership, and football philosophy.

Having said that, the team is dysfunctional and terrible. They’ve taken a step back. A lot of it falls on Grier, but it’s not going well.

There seems to be a dysfunction in the chemistry on the field. Flores also seems epically stubborn to a fault. He won’t do the obvious. His game day moves yesterday reflected a beleaguered and pressing coach.

Ultimately, the team is careening off a cliff, and you have to put fault on Flores (albeit not all of it).

I have said it before, but Flores’ hiring/firing of the staff is demonstrably incompetent. This staff is worse than bad. I do like Studesville and how he’s developed the running backs (even the roster is at the position is weak). I don’t know that we are getting good player development elsewhere. Maybe Austin Clark at D line but the jury is out. The turnover each off-season is ridiculous. The quality of assistants is atrocious.

Then you have an incompetent GM. He should be mentoring Flores and giving him help and constructive feedback on the staff, even if the final decision is (rightfully) Flores’. Others in the organization should have talked Flores offer the ledge with the erratic handling of the staff.

The assistant coaches are a huge part of the equation, even if it’s oft-overlooked.

I like Flores but none of the above is defensible and I can understand if his future is precarious. He’s got no excuses. The product has to be a lot better.
My perfect scenario:
Ross hires/de facto promotes a good strong GM to Tannenbum's old job as head of football operations. Maybe a Brett Veach or even inducing Ozzie out of retirement for a pot of gold.

Let that qualified person hire his GM and in concert with the GM, hire the HC.. with Ross staying out of it completely.

I know it won't happen, but that would be the best of all scenarios IMO.

My perfect scenario:
Ross hires/de facto promotes a good strong GM to Tannenbum's old job as head of football operations. Maybe a Brett Veach or even inducing Ozzie out of retirement for a pot of gold.

Let that qualified person hire his GM and in concert with the GM, hire the HC.. with Ross staying out of it completely.

I know it won't happen, but that would be the best of all scenarios IMO.
Yep, and the new President would train everyone to function at a high level and with a winning mindset. Winning organizations ingrain success in everything you do. Shula, John Wooden, all the great ones, want a well oiled machine in everything you do, and it becomes a habit. No dysfunction. As an example, leak something to the press that should have stayed in house, you’re literally fired. There’s been way too much of that. You can’t play nice and get along with your colleagues, you’re fired.

I’m on the board of a big law firm. I know what losing traits are and what winning traits are. The Dolphins front office group does not function at a high level, and stupid crap has been tolerated for double digit years.

*ROSS* should not be looking for the coach. Ross should be looking for a good GM and let HIM hire the coach.

I mean, turnovers or not, the defense looked really good last year. We were very good scoring defense and the number one 3rd down defense. We were also one of if the the least penalized teams in the league. We won 10 games and I think most of us were sure this thing was headed in the right direction.

But obviously, that turned out not to be the case. I will point out that there is too much turnover every year, not just players but coaches. Take the defense. The defensive line Coach Marion Hobby left. He was replaced by the outside linebackers coach and the Outside linebackers coach was replaced by the assistant defensive line coach.

This was also switched from the previous year all the way up to the defensive coordinator.

We lost Van Noi which was a head scratcher as he was a captain and a leader on Defense as well as Shaq Lawson, and Bobby McCain who used to get the DB’s in the right places. These guys don’t seem to have been replaced with equal or better players.

Flores seems like he’s a hard guy to work for, stubborn, and to eager to tear down things that maybe don’t need to be torn down or replaced?

A good article about Hobby leaving. There's a few quotes by him about what he was looking from an organizational HC/Staff perspective. With the coaching turnover we've seen in Miami, these quotes stand out to me and hint at those internal issues. Or maybe i'm just super sensitive to it given the background checks i ran on the current staff and the opinion i currently have of Flo and Grier.

After all the dust has settled Flores in how he handled last years qbs, he’s either the stupidest person ever or his hand was forced..

It’s one of the other

“I like who likes me," Hobby joked. “You hear about something open and you either inquire about it or not. That’s the way it’s always worked for me. Even with Clemson, there was a mutual interest. It’s kind of like dating, you take a girl out and if she doesn’t like you, then you guys are friends."

Interesting. Sounds like he was not happy here and wanted out ASAP

Back
Top Bottom