Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

I am so torn on this "unique" situation. Howard is the type of player needed for a championship. Other teams know this and could give us a lot of draft capital. Yet if they do trade for this, we would still need a DPOY candidate at cornerback or at least a great one. Injuries did not deter them from drafting Jaelan Phillps and I applaud them for that. I would have applauded them for giving X more money before it came to this. Now as the player starts to force the hand, he is vilified by fans and who knows if Byron is sitting there saying my addition helped you get those INT's and how far it then goes to sabotage a team's mindset.

pay him now and set that precedent. Baker gets 11 sacks this year and wants to renegotiate next....when does it end.

Wait him out, don't trade him. If it goes into the season, see if the gamble with Iggy (or who knows McCourty) there pays off and we regain the leverage in this situation

Success breeds this type of situation, hope we get used to it! Wish we were above it and accept it as a sign we are succeeding.

Can the team cut him right now and not pay the full contract?

I truly don't understand this position by multiple posters.
The position is we’re Miami Dolphin fans and we want to field the best team which we can’t if one of our best players if not THE best player is holding out.

Lol yeah…You and I both know that’s not how this is going down.
Probably not... but if they put on their big boy pants and say, "we'll talk when you are in camp", and stick to it... they'll never have another one of these.

Every future player will say, "they said No to X, they'll say no to me."

The Jaguars got 2 firsts and a 4th for Jalen Ramsey. At the time of that trade, Ramsey was 3 years younger than Howard is now and didn’t have the injury history of Howard.

I think they could possibly get a first round pick and a mid round pick for Howard but I don’t see them getting 2 first round picks for Howard.
Yeah it's simply a starting point. The first round picks can be future picks or trading one of our firsts. There's room for that angle.

Iggy not on X level
I totally agree but they drafted him to eventually be a starting CB on the team and if they decide to not negotiate with Howard and decide to trade him instead, it appears Iggy will inherit the position. Remember, Howard wasn’t the player he is today in his rookie season either. He was basically a backup CB during his rookie season who played in only 7 games and had zero interceptions.

I am not inferring Iggy will ever develop into the type CB Howard is but the Dolphins obviously thought enough in him to select him in the first round. Hopefully Howard remains a Dolphin for many years to come but they showed in trading Fitzpatrick and Tunsil that they have no problem going with younger players if they think they can get the right deal for one of their best players in a trade.

Let's be honest, the 'phins drafted Iggy because they knew what X was-- a high maintenance personality with ego problems and an injury history. They've been waiting for this, and how they react now will be partially controlled by what they think of Iggy.

The Patriots let great players walk sometimes when they didn't fit in with the team's salary situation or team concept... and we may have reached that point with X. The only time I can remember something like this was when we resigned Reshad Jones and that ended up being a disaster... he quit on us, just like X is quitting on us now.

Trade her.

The Jags got 2 firsts and a 4th round pick for Jaylen Ramsey. If the Dolphins trade X, it needs to be for something similar.
Ramsey was 24 when he was traded and hadn’t missed a single game due. X is about to be 28 in a couple of weeks and has played 16 games twice in 5 years. There’s no way we get 2 1st round picks for X.

Ramsey was 24 when he was traded and hadn’t missed a single game due. X is about to be 28 in a couple of weeks and has played 16 games twice in 5 years. There’s no way we get 2 1st round picks for X.
Agreed... I wouldnt expect as much from X, but then again... who expected so much from Tunsil? Not me.

I'm sure the team is listening to the offers they are getting/going to get... We just have to get enough back to make it count.

Last edited:
So by your logic if Byron Jones stinks it up the next two years we should pay out the remainder of his deal because it’s the right thing to do?
I think they would already be looking to get out of the Jones contract if they could because he definitely didn’t play up to his contract last year. Unfortunately he would have a $28 million dollar dead cap hit if they cut him this year and a little over $12 million dollar cap hit in 2022 if they cut him.

Unless they can find a team who is desperate enough to trade for Jones, the Dolphins are basically stuck with Jones and his contract for the next two years.

So, 4 years older but 10 tackles and 9 INT's more last year? I'd say they are worth something similar. A first and a second? A first and a third? Definitely more than just one first.

Ramsey has also had 11 picks in his career. Howard had 10 last season alone.

this whole thing is frustrating.. X has the right to sit out and not get paid, the dolphins have the right to play hard ball too.. it just bothers me because X is still getting paid, i don't know, top 10 cb money (i think???) and the you would hope the thought of being in the playoffs and competing for a SB title might be important to him...

Let's be honest, the 'phins drafted Iggy because they knew what X was-- a high maintenance personality with ego problems and an injury history. They've been waiting for this, and how they react now will be partially controlled by what they think of Iggy.

The Patriots let great players walk sometimes when they didn't fit in with the team's salary situation or team concept... and we may have reached that point with X. The only time I can remember something like this was when we resigned Reshad Jones and that ended up being a disaster... he quit on us, just like X is quitting on us now.

Trade her.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom