Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Start listening to offers...
i'm sure they always are.

i'm also pretty sure the difference between what he is making now and how much his agent is looking for, isn't all that much on a yearly basis (in the grand scheme of things).

I want X there for leadership role. I 100% understand his need to hold out. Those that post any crap about players hold out when wanting more simply don't understand anything about business. A contract ISN'T a contract unless it's 100% guaranteed. Until the NFL moves to that, then these situations are going to increase in number. We can cut X right now and not pay his full contract. Lol there even posters here ready to trade him now...so I guess so much for his contract?

Sorry but this is such BS, this dude got paid to be one of the highest paid CBs 2 years ago and he's already pulling this stunt, I hate this crap.
Me too man. On one hand I understand it because these guys put their body at risk and the average nfl career is short, they should capitalize, but damn man, on the other hand they get paid so much, just show your ass up to work you spoiled baby...

i'm sure they always are.

i'm also pretty sure the difference between what he is making now and how much his agent is looking for, isn't all that much on a yearly basis (in the grand scheme of things).
How far do you bend when confronted by an egotistical and selfish, yet talented player?

Does giving in to blackmail make your team weaker over time?

Howard is an excellent player, but when does the distraction and his me-first attitude start hurting you more than it helps?

I wish I could answer these questions with quantifiable answers, but since no one can, i sure hope someone gives us a big offer.

When he played poorly to begin the 2019 season and then ended the year on IR, the Dolphins didn’t demand he restructure his contract to a lower salary. I accept that Howard is one of the best CB’s in the league and probably underpaid based on the fact Byron Jones is the highest paid CB on the roster.

Yet he is still under contract for another three years and I see no need to restructure his contract at this time. Let him prove he can play at the level he did in 2020 and avoid the injuries he has suffered since being drafted by the Dolphins. If he can do those things in 2021, then perhaps the Dolphins and Howard can talk about restructuring his contract after the 2021 season ends.

They drafted Iggy in the first round last year to eventually become a starting outside CB. If he develops this coming season into the player they expect him to become, I think it is likely Howard or Byron Jones will be traded before the 2022 season. Presently with their combined contracts, Howard and Jones will account for over $30 million toward the Dolphins cap in 2022. If Howard signs a new contract paying him more than Jones, their combined cap number will likely be close to $35 million in 2022.

I just don’t see both of them still being on the roster after this coming season while tying up that much of the cap space. Unfortunately the dead cap hit on Jones in 2022 would be over $12 million dollars while the dead cap hit on Howard under his present contract would only be a little over $2 million dollars. Under that scenario, if the Dolphins decide to trade one of their CB‘s to make room for Iggy, Howard appears the most likely to be traded because I don’t see any other team wanting to trade for Jones and his contract and I don’t think the Dolphins would cut him while taking on the $12 million dead cap hit.

How far do you bend when confronted by an egotistical and selfish, yet talented player?

Does giving in to blackmail make your team weaker over time?

Howard is an excellent player, but when does the distraction and his me-first attitude start hurting you more than it helps?

I wish I could answer these questions with quantifiable answers, but since no one can, i sure hope someone gives us a big offer.
i'm fine with making him the highest paid cornerback on our team (and perhaps in the league).

the less i hear about the business side, the better.

Me too man. On one hand I understand it because these guys put their body at risk and the average nfl career is short, they should capitalize, but damn man, on the other hand they get paid so much, just show your *** up to work you spoiled baby...
I get that with body at risk but they picked football instead of Home Depot. Honor the contract signed.

I want X there for leadership role. I 100% understand his need to hold out. Those that post any crap about players hold out when wanting more simply don't understand anything about business. A contract ISN'T a contract unless it's 100% guaranteed. Until the NFL moves to that, then these situations are going to increase in number. We can cut X right now and not pay his full contract. Lol there even posters here ready to trade him now...so I guess so much for his contract?
The players know the deal when they sign a contract.

This could be a tricky situation.

From a team’s perspective, what they would like to be a unique situation will certainly get tested by player’s agents moving forward if they renegotiate.

From X’s perspective, professional football has a short lifespan for most players so understandable he tries to maximize his earnings when he clearly is a top 3 player at his position. He was phenomenal last year, 10 picks is incredible.

Yet, Byron Jones is making more. BJ is not worth an extra $2 million.

I trust they will figure this out. Perhaps keep the base and add in some relatively easy to reach performance bonuses?

What I would like to know is how X is getting and keeping himself in football shape if he is going to be missing camp. I think his play is deserving to be the top paid CB, but not if he hasn’t done everything in his power to be ready to play.

I have no problem with players trying to maximize salary. Career in NFL is short and players, especially CBs, usually fall of rather quickly. He is at his prime right now, so wants to cash in.

The Byron Jones deal makes things tough with X. He is a far better player, but we gave Jones so much damn money. We can’t have the two highest paid guys at the same position. Something has to give.

Back
Top Bottom