Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

He signed a good deal 2 years ago. If you don't like it don't sign it.

Walmart could use him if his millions aren't enough.
Can the team cut him right now and not pay the full contract?

I truly don't understand this position by multiple posters.

Reactions: A1.
The best answer might be giving X an extension that pays lower this year cap wise but gets him more in the future. Then move on from Jones after this year.
Unless the Dolphins are able to trade Jones after this year, which I doubt. I don’t see them cutting him with it costing them $12 million in dead cap in 2022. I can see them cutting Jones after the 2022 season but I don’t see them moving on from him for at least the next two seasons.

Can the team cut him right now and not pay the full contract?

I truly don't understand this position by multiple posters.
Because enough is enough. These guys earn more in a year or 2 than most earn in a lifetime.

If he gets cut he knew the risk. The NFL doesn't hide that.

Is there an issue with holdouts in the MLB...no. Fully guaranteed them and we will see a fair business. Anyone relating the NFL to any other business is redicilous. The NFL is a partnership. It doesn't exist without the very few couple hundred people that can play this game at this level.

So then why is it OK in your mind for a team to cut a player to save cap? The team is then not fulfilling the contract.
Why are you failing to understand that X agreed that they had the legal right to do just that.

Because enough is enough. These guys earn more in a year or 2 than most earn in a lifetime.

If he gets cut he knew the risk. The NFL doesn't hide that.
Enough is enough? That is a mind set of a father disciplining children. That is not a business relationship. A big part of the problem.

Why are you failing to understand that X agreed that they had the legal right to do just that.
What makes you think X doesn't have the legal right to hold out?
Why do you think that's illegal?

What makes you think X doesn't have the legal right to hold out?
Why do you think that's illegal?
The Dolphins can now legally fine him and withhold all salaries due, as well as prevent him from working for any other team...
Are X's actions illegal? No, but he could be forced to repay every dollar of bonus money since he is refusing to uphold his end of the contract.

Those provisions are PART of that contract.

You are claiming that those provisions justify holding out...

I am pointing out that the players agree to these provisions when they sign that contract... therefore, the provisions do NOT justify holding out-- legally or morally.
While you are correct, the contract is also outlining terms and compensation if the player opts to play in the NFL. The player is under no obligation to play and can retire or simply opt to no longer play at any time. If the player wants to resume playing he's still under the terms of the contract, but just because he signed a contract doesn't mean he has to play. If he opts not to play he just doesn't get paid and under some terms of the deal may owe or need to refund the team for bonus' paid prior. Management knows that holdouts are always an option for players at some point. It's all part of the back and forth game the two sides play.

Howard and the team will either resolve things or Miami will move on. If this team is going to be as good as people hope it will be at one point they should have the depth to absorb a loss like Howard, regardless of if it's due contract situaions or injury.

Last edited:
If a contract isn't fully guaranteed, any party can renegotiate at any time.

Back
Top Bottom