Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Get your coin Xavien. You’e the best.
I think he will eventually get the money he wants but it might not be with the Dolphins. I can see Grier and Flores trading him if they can get a high enough pick for him. Obviously keeping a happy Howard would be great but I just don’t know if they are going to give into his contract demands and that could lead to him holding out during the regular season.

Flores is a team first coach and as he showed with Minkah Fitzpatrick, he will trade a great player if that player doesn’t put the team first while causing issues on the team.

The Dolphins can now legally fine him and withhold all salaries due, as well as prevent him from working for any other team...
Are X's actions illegal? No, but he could be forced to repay every dollar of bonus money since he is refusing to uphold his end of the contract.
So first you say what he is doing is illegal. You are called out and now you seem to understand its not illegal.
If the NFL isn't fully guaranteeing contracts, either party can renegotiate at any point. The NFL does this by cutting the player. The player does this by holding out.
Nothing illegal or immoral on either side.

If he has a thorn in his foot about Byron getting paid more, I can understand that (even if Byron was signed later and under differing economic values). But that's solely based on what he did in 2020, what about 2019? What if he missed half the season in 2021?

I heard a while back that his contract is now out of guaranteed money, and THAT should certainly be fixed. Maybe put some targets in the contract he has to hit to get a little more than Byron can get, which will include starting and playing at least, say, 14 games, and maybe some other performance goals, and leave his base what it is now (i.e. base guaranteed, but additional stuff he can get based off those goals added).

I think that's fair for all sides, considering he's already signed and still fairly early into that contract. The league, after all, is based on merit. You play top dollar, you should get it, but if you don't play at that elite level (availability included), cry to momma.

Hell...give some of Jakeem Grant's money to him...he has better hands than the WR.

At this point just trade him we just renegotiated his contract and gave him a bag on top of that

LOL at...
'Trade him'....to any player that wants more money

I think he will eventually get the money he wants but it might not be with the Dolphins. I can see Grier and Flores trading him if they can get a high enough pick for him. Obviously keeping a happy Howard would be great but I just don’t know if they are going to give into his contract demands and that could lead to him holding out during the regular season.

Flores is a team first coach and as he showed with Minkah Fitzpatrick, he will trade a great player if that player doesn’t put the team first while causing issues on the team.

Sounds like your grasping for straws to conclude something that doesn't need to be concluded.

There is no comparison between Minkah and X.

Xavien has outperformed his contract and all other players at his position and poised to have an all-time great season, followed by a few more.

Xavien is not even the highest paid player at his position, on his own team.

He will get paid. He will get paid by the Miami Dolphins. He deserves it.

Its 2021, not 2019. This franchise isn't looking to trade its biggest defensive catalyst and most impactful overall player since Jason Taylor was in his prime.

This is a players league. The talented one's dictate the rules.

Sorry but this is such BS, this dude got paid to be one of the highest paid CBs 2 years ago and he's already pulling this stunt, I hate this crap.
We contributed to the problem by signing a mediocre corner to a bigger contract a year later. X should be the highest paid corner in the team.

Fk him, dude got paid well with his significant history of injuries included. You can't have your cake and eat it too. When on the field, he is a top 3 corner. When off of it, which he has been for 24 games in his young career, you ain't jack! At least try to play another full season before starting this BS! I hope we trade his ass and get compensated well, and he gets a new contract in a state that has income tax and he ends up making less money. Greedy ass people man!

Fk him, dude got paid well with his significant history of injuries included. You can't have your cake and eat it too. When on the field, he is a top 3 corner. When off of it, which he has been for 24 games in his young career, you ain't jack! At least try to play another full season before starting this BS! I hope we trade his *** and get compensated well, and he gets a new contract in a state that has income tax and he ends up making less money. Greedy *** people man!

I'd rather keep him and trade you.

A couple thoughts:

- Until we know exactly what the disagreement is, I'm gonna reserve judgement. I'm genuinely curious if it's more about guaranteed money than being the highest paid. If it's about guaranteed money, I understand it. I might not agree with it, but I understand it. Xavien Howard has a dead cap hit of $2.8mm in 2022 and half that in 2023. If he gets hurt this year, do you expect the Dolphins to pay him the $12mm on his contract? Because they won't.

- The "Wal-Mart" comments are obnoxious. Really, Judgy Judgerton? A guy worth eight figures is either going to play for Miami or work at Wal-Mart? THAT'S the only alternative you could come up with? Not "start a camp" or "work in media"...Wal-Mart?

This could be a tricky situation.

From a team’s perspective, what they would like to be a unique situation will certainly get tested by player’s agents moving forward if they renegotiate.

From X’s perspective, professional football has a short lifespan for most players so understandable he tries to maximize his earnings when he clearly is a top 3 player at his position. He was phenomenal last year, 10 picks is incredible.

Yet, Byron Jones is making more. BJ is not worth an extra $2 million.

I trust they will figure this out. Perhaps keep the base and add in some relatively easy to reach performance bonuses?

What I would like to know is how X is getting and keeping himself in football shape if he is going to be missing camp. I think his play is deserving to be the top paid CB, but not if he hasn’t done everything in his power to be ready to play.
BJ has missed 3 games in 6 years, X has missed 24 games in 5 years. This was absolutely considered when making their current contracts.

Sounds like your grasping for straws to conclude something that doesn't need to be concluded.

There is no comparison between Minkah and X.

Xavien has outperformed his contract and all other players at his position and poised to have an all-time great season, followed by a few more.

Xavien is not even the highest paid player at his position, on his own team.

He will get paid. He will get paid by the Miami Dolphins. He deserves it.

Its 2021, not 2019. This franchise isn't looking to trade its biggest defensive catalyst and most impactful overall player since Jason Taylor was in his prime.

This is a players league. The talented one's dictate the rules.
While it would be nice if the two sides reach an agreement and Howard is Dolphin this season and in the near future too, the fact that they signed Jones last year and drafted another corner in the 1st round too gave the team some leverage if Howard opted to hold out this year or failed to recover from his 2019 injury as well as he has. You don't draft Igbinoghene in round 1 if you don't think there's a chance he might be starting at one of the two corner spots at some point early in his career. I just think things are playing out in a way that Howard and his agent thought they might eventually playout if he recovered from his injury. They signed the deal a few years ago understanding this possible scenario. Also Miami's front office prepped for this possibility when they signed Jones and drafted Noah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom