Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Love the player, hate this mentality

apparently he took notes from reshad Jones. I’d tell X to live with his current deal until next offseason when there is more money and we have extended other key players like Gesicki and Ogbah

He’s got no more guaranteed money left on his deal. Of course he’s going to hold out. That was a very team friendly deal he signed. He’s out performed it now. The game is the game lol

giphy.gif

Get your coin Xavien. You’e the best.
2 years into a 5 year contract? F him.

If he had blown out his knee, he would have been the first one to hold our feet to the fire claiming that “a contract is a contract”. If I’m Flores, I don’t budge.

You can’t have it both ways. Suck it up X. Suck it long and suck it hard.

apparently he took notes from reshad Jones. I’d tell X to live with his current deal until next offseason when there is more money and we have extended other key players like Gesicki and Ogbah
I could see Miami taking this stance, they have leverage. They could call Howard's agents' bluff and opt not to renegotiate this year or trade him and leave Howard with two options play in 2020 and get paid or don't play and not get paid. I'm sure option one wins out 95% of the time. It could create friction further down the line when the current contract is up, but right now Miami has the upper hand.

I've read the Cowboys have interest in trading for Howard. I would tell them "give me 2020 1st round pick Trevon Diggs and a 2022 1st round pick and we might have a deal." Dallas gets an elite corner, Miami has two young 1st round corners in Diggs and Igbinoghene to go with Byron Jones, plus a future 1st round pick. I would be thrilled with that trade. In fact I would ask for Diggs and 1st, but might even settle for Diggs and a 2nd.

Last edited:
Howard has every right to get as much money as he can. I don't begrudge him one bit. If I'm Miami, though, I am looking at trade offers.
What if all it takes is to guarantee the rest of the contract?
No one really knows what he really wants. With that, my first reaction is to make it work, not trade.
However, I believe Grier listens to every single offer for any player at any time.

This was never a 5 year contract...we all knew this and discussed when he signed

I look at this as don't hate the player hate the game. As a fan it sucks that we have to deal with these types of issues but it seems that the NFL business model allows for this. I would love X to be retained as he is a vital part of our team and one of the main reasons we had a winning record, but at the end of the day we have to do what's best for the team overall and that's up to the FO to figure out.

...and what if this is exactly what he wants? More money guaranteed NEXT year? He's already getting paid this year.

Howard has every right to get as much money as he can. I don't begrudge him one bit. If I'm Miami, though, I am looking at trade offers.
I agree with you here. Miami has to ask if this is going to be a recurring issue every 2 years when some corner gets paid. Can't keep upping guys contracts regardless of which position it is

Let’s hope Flores and the FO handle this situation better than they did Minkah. We can’t just trade X. He’s the best player on the team, in his prime and we are entering a championship window. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom