Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

People forget that Howard may have signed his extension 2 years ago, but he played 2019 on the final year of his rookie contract. That means 2020 was the first year of his five year contract extension. From the sounds of things he doesn’t want to add more years on to his deal, he just wants more money. As Flores pointed out, renegotiating a multi year contract extension after one season just doesn’t happen.

What happens if we cave to his demands and give him more money and his level of play significantly drops…do we get the money back? Likewise, what happens if he plays at an All-Pro level…does he ask for more money in 2022?

I like X and I hope we work things out and he stays in Miami. I am a little disappointed the best player on our team isn’t setting a great example for our young roster; hopefully he takes the high road and doesn’t become a distraction.

2 years into a 5 year contract? F him.

If he had blown out his knee, he would have been the first one to hold our feet to the fire claiming that “a contract is a contract”. If I’m Flores, I don’t budge.

You can’t have it both ways. Suck it up X. Suck it long and suck it hard.

How on Earth is something like this "holding our feet to the fire?" He's getting paid this year, and if he blows his knee out this year under the current contract, most of that "contract is a contract" lingo goes out the window, as far as the team is concerned.

Unless of course, the team does the right thing by the player. That's a possibility, just ask Ju'Wuan James.

Oh, wait.

Let’s hope Flores and the FO handle this situation better than they did Minkah. We can’t just trade X. He’s the best player on the team, in his prime and we are entering a championship window. Hopefully this gets sorted out.
If I could get Dallas to bite on a Howard for Trevon Diggs and a 2022 1st or 2nd round pick I would consider that trade.

And so it begins. I'm hoping they can get something done, but not expecting it. If Grier gets an offer too good to pass up, I'd expect Howard to be traded. Although I do wonder, what a Howard trade would look like. He's relatively young and in his prime. That has to be worth something.

Huh.

This is interesting - notes on the current Howard contract from Spotrac.com:

Contract Notes:
  • $27.18M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary + 2019 roster bonus + 2020 salary)
  • 2019 Roster Bonus: $7M (guaranteed)
  • $2.5M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020 (100% injury guaranteed now)
  • Remaining $9.575M of 2021 salary fully guarantees 3/19/2021
  • $6.775M of 2022 salary guaranteed for injury
  • 2020-2021 Workout Bonus: $25,000
  • 2022-2024 Workout Bonus: $100,000
  • 2022-2024 Per Game Active Bonus: $29,411 ($500,000)

I think Howard's teammates and coaching staff understand the game Howard is playing with management and don't read as much into it or take it as personally as some fans do,

Huh.

This is interesting - notes on the current Howard contract from Spotrac.com:

Contract Notes:
  • $27.18M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary + 2019 roster bonus + 2020 salary)
  • 2019 Roster Bonus: $7M (guaranteed)
  • $2.5M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020 (100% injury guaranteed now)
  • Remaining $9.575M of 2021 salary fully guarantees 3/19/2021
  • $6.775M of 2022 salary guaranteed for injury
  • 2020-2021 Workout Bonus: $25,000
  • 2022-2024 Workout Bonus: $100,000
  • 2022-2024 Per Game Active Bonus: $29,411 ($500,000)
OK so I'm a bit confused. It says 2.5M of his 2021 salary was fully guaranteed on 3/20/2020, and the remaining 9.75M of his 2021 salary fully guaranteed on 3/19/2021. So at this point, is his 2021 salary fully guaranteed against injury, provided he actually shows and plays, or?

Howard is on his third agent in 3 years and he has missed a lot of games. There are other issues in play here. If its a small raise, I say give it to him. If its anything else, and a good trade offer surfaces, I have no problem with the Dolphins trading him.

I'm not even going to bother reading through this thread as I already know 85%+ are going to be mad at Howard for some reason, but easy solution... pay him what he deserves. He can't be considered a top 2 NFL cornerback and not be the highest paid corner on his own team and anybody that doesn't believe that is a corporate shill.

You're never going to be bad because you pay your best players market value. You're bad because you have a bunch of players who suck. Worry about fixing that, not penny pinching the guys who deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom