Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

Is there an issue with holdouts in the MLB...no. Fully guaranteed them and we will see a fair business. Anyone relating the NFL to any other business is redicilous. The NFL is a partnership. It doesn't exist without the very few couple hundred people that can play this game at this level.

This is accurate. And the NFLPA really needs to get on this.

Because enough is enough. These guys earn more in a year or 2 than most earn in a lifetime.

If he gets cut he knew the risk. The NFL doesn't hide that.
And if the player over performs the contract and holds out, the Dolphins knew the risk. Players don’t hide that. Players have been doing it for decades.

A couple thoughts:

- Until we know exactly what the disagreement is, I'm gonna reserve judgement. I'm genuinely curious if it's more about guaranteed money than being the highest paid. If it's about guaranteed money, I understand it. I might not agree with it, but I understand it. Xavien Howard has a dead cap hit of $2.8mm in 2022 and half that in 2023. If he gets hurt this year, do you expect the Dolphins to pay him the $12mm on his contract? Because they won't.

- The "Wal-Mart" comments are obnoxious. Really, Judgy Judgerton? A guy worth eight figures is either going to play for Miami or work at Wal-Mart? THAT'S the only alternative you could come up with? Not "start a camp" or "work in media"...Wal-Mart?
I believe his agent has already indicated it's about the guaranteed money

A couple thoughts:

- Until we know exactly what the disagreement is, I'm gonna reserve judgement. I'm genuinely curious if it's more about guaranteed money than being the highest paid. If it's about guaranteed money, I understand it. I might not agree with it, but I understand it. Xavien Howard has a dead cap hit of $2.8mm in 2022 and half that in 2023. If he gets hurt this year, do you expect the Dolphins to pay him the $12mm on his contract? Because they won't.

- The "Wal-Mart" comments are obnoxious. Really, Judgy Judgerton? A guy worth eight figures is either going to play for Miami or work at Wal-Mart? THAT'S the only alternative you could come up with? Not "start a camp" or "work in media"...Wal-Mart?

Which has always been the problem with X. He's injury prone. That was built into the contract and he was still the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL at the time.

Dolphins gambled, hit on potential, and now X wants more. Let someone else gamble with that injury history. Paying for outlier seasons doesn't usually work out.

Last edited:
Because enough is enough. These guys earn more in a year or 2 than most earn in a lifetime.

He has zero chance of getting cut. Traded maybe.

This is accurate. And the NFLPA really needs to get on this.
If Cousin's was able to live up to it, I think the NFLPA would have used it in the last round of negotiations.

I have to agree with this statement. I am disabled an not really physically gifted so I would have no opportunity to make this type of money at any point in my life. I understand the fact that it's a dangerous sport but everything in life has it's risks. He has already made more than most people ever will and he signed a contract two years ago....so live up to it and play. If he can do what he did last year again then MAYBE he can try to renegotiate but doing it one year doesn't make him the end all be all

I think he will eventually get the money he wants but it might not be with the Dolphins. I can see Grier and Flores trading him if they can get a high enough pick for him. Obviously keeping a happy Howard would be great but I just don’t know if they are going to give into his contract demands and that could lead to him holding out during the regular season.

Flores is a team first coach and as he showed with Minkah Fitzpatrick, he will trade a great player if that player doesn’t put the team first while causing issues on the team.
The Jags got 2 firsts and a 4th round pick for Jaylen Ramsey. If the Dolphins trade X, it needs to be for something similar.

His agent should have negotiated better to start with, although Miami picked a good time to negotiate that extension. In the end, it's a business.
I think he messed up with the guaranteed money. I believe it was less than 30% of the overall contract. Not sure others realize that. We can cut the guy with almost zero impact to the team. He has no protection at this point in the contract. It appears to have been designed for renegotiation at this point. I think both sides gambled. I don't think Grier expected him to have the year he had.

His agent should have negotiated better to start with, although Miami picked a good time to negotiate that extension. In the end, it's a business.
And he fired that agent and hired the big dog so that's telling

If we gave more during that contract extension could you imagine the outcry on here LOL!!!!

Fk him, dude got paid well with his significant history of injuries included. You can't have your cake and eat it too. When on the field, he is a top 3 corner. When off of it, which he has been for 24 games in his young career, you ain't jack! At least try to play another full season before starting this BS! I hope we trade his *** and get compensated well, and he gets a new contract in a state that has income tax and he ends up making less money. Greedy *** people man!

Yeah, man!

It's always the players, man, never the organizations that pull this sort of ****, because organizations are ALWAYS trustworthy and live up to their side of the contract!

Just ask Jamison Crowder!

Oh, wait.

Back
Top Bottom