Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

He accepted the terms of his current contract, no one forced him to do this. If he felt his agent didn't negotiate a good contract, well thats on him because he agreed and signed the contract willfully. I wouldn't alter the contract without a very very good reason, and being selfish is not good enough. Keep the contract as is, if he doesn't show for camp by August then trade him.

He had an incredible year last year…..BUT…..At his age and with the money he’s making…..the odds say he has peaked. We will soon enter into an area of diminishing returns as far as X is concerned. If we trade him (for fair compensation), I really won’t be that upset.

He had an incredible year last year…..BUT…..At his age and with the money he’s making…..the odds say he has peaked. We will soon enter into an area of diminishing returns as far as X is concerned. If we trade him (for fair compensation), I really won’t be that upset.
I agree with this. If they can get a late 1st I would jump on that trade.

I don’t understand why so many fans drastically undervalue our own players and drastically overvalue other team’s players. Except for when it comes to trades. Lol

X statistically wins more games single handedly than any defensive player in the league. He should be the highest paid player on the team and they should guarantee him more money through the end of his contract.

I feel like it’s our mistake. We currently have it structured as though Byron Jones is the focal point of our defense and X is the complimentary guy we can let go of and replace next season no problem. We just need to tweak it. Replace Jones in 2 years with Iggy and hopefully Iggy’s stepping into that top spot so X is only our complimentary guy when we replace him.

I don’t understand why so many fans drastically undervalue our own players and drastically overvalue other team’s players. Except for when it comes to trades. Lol

X statistically wins more games single handedly than any defensive player in the league. He should be the highest paid player on the team and they should guarantee him more money through the end of his contract.

I feel like it’s our mistake. We currently have it structured as though Byron Jones is the focal point of our defense and X is the complimentary guy we can let go of and replace next season no problem. We just need to tweak it. Replace Jones in 2 years with Iggy and hopefully Iggy’s stepping into that top spot so X is only our complimentary guy when we replace him.
If he was not currently under contract, I'd agree with you.
If he had played out his current contract and was heading into free agency, I would agree with you...

But he took that contract, took all that guaranteed money and took the risk that he'd outplay that contract, while the dolphins took the risk that he'd be injured again... They both made a bet, and now that X feels as if he's lost the bet, he wants to change the terms, and by holding out... he's not asking the team to treat him better, he is saying... if you don't tear up that contract that I willingly signed, I am going to destroy the team.

So... no.

Why should the phins throw even more guarantees toward a player with knee issues? Can you imagine the outcry if we give this whiner a raise and a couple years of guaranteed money and he hurts his knee... again?

He accepted the terms of his current contract, no one forced him to do this. If he felt his agent didn't negotiate a good contract, well thats on him because he agreed and signed the contract willfully. I wouldn't alter the contract without a very very good reason, and being selfish is not good enough. Keep the contract as is, if he doesn't show for camp by August then trade him.

Exactly! I think he would have been better off keeping this in house. Approach management with wanting more based on performance and where he stands in the league. But show up to camp as a sign of good faith and maybe revisit the issue next offseason if something can’t be worked out this season.

Exactly! I think he would have been better off keeping this in house. Approach management with wanting more based on performance and where he stands in the league. But show up to camp as a sign of good faith and maybe revisit the issue next offseason if something can’t be worked out this season.
One the the newest rule changes was one that I REALLY agreed with. NFL teams are no longer allowed to waive fines when a player belatedly comes to camp. It used to be that players would hold out with impunity because they KNEW they'd never actually have to pay the fines. Now... if Rodgers or Howard want to stay out and breech their contract, they will pay the fines.

...and since I believe that the fines go to the player's retirement fund, it's even better.

Greedy athletes should look around and take stock in the less fortunate. Honor your contract and then sign a new one, if offered. If he had 0 picks last year and the Dolphins kept him he would gladly accept their money. Yes they could cut you in football but that is the risk you take. HONOR THY CONTRACT!!!!!!!!

Greedy athletes should look around and take stock in the less fortunate. Honor your contract and then sign a new one, if offered. If he had 0 picks last year and the Dolphins kept him he would gladly accept their money. Yes they could cut you in football but that is the risk you take. HONOR THY CONTRACT!!!!!!!!

Thats the part I’m not a fan of and especially with a guy like X. He’s missed ALOT of games…ALOT and the team stuck by him and even offered a huge congrat with a nasty signing bonus.

The first year in a long time he plays a full season he wants to hold out for more money? Wtf!

Last edited:
Thats the part I’m not a fan of and especially with a guy like X. He’s missed ALOT of games…ALOT and the team stuck by him and even offered a huge congrat with a nasty signing bonus.

The first year in a long time he plays a full game he wants to hold out for more money? Wtf!
Exactly! Trade him for two first round picks and move on

Exactly! Trade him for two first round picks and move on

lol! If he were 25-26 like Ramsey or Bailey etc then you’d probably get that. But he’s 28 and no one is giving you that and he comes with injury risk. Honestly getting a 2nd would be a pretty good considering that team would take on that risk and have to pay him that contract.

I’d be impress of Grier can pull that off

As of 19 March of this year, X's contract has paid him 12 mil this year already. Everything else is incentivised for the rest of this year. So basically his ass isn't happy with 12 mil this year so far.
This is according to sport trac.com

As of 19 March of this year, X's contract has paid him 12 mil this year already. Everything else is incentivised for the rest of this year. So basically his *** isn't happy with 12 mil this year so far.
This is according to sport trac.com

It’s honestly bad faith stuff. I get it! Howard is getting closer to that 30 year of age and this could be his last big contract. So why not?

He and his agent need to be extremely smart how they hand this going forward. I personally think it was an error skipping the mini camp. It would have been better to attend the camp, show you want to be here, show your team first and would like to discussion renegotiating.

Training camp is $50,000 A DAY in fines. Could luck with that Howard.

Back
Top Bottom