Football player/ Star have you met? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football player/ Star have you met?

oh yeah - i bowled once with tj turner - remember him dolfans? - nobody special but it sure was a big deal when youre just a kid

I met Charles Barkley once at Friday's in lake buena vista.He was smoking a cigar and was real cool. Shook my hand and then I went back to work.

Ozzy rules!!

NFL, Carl Eller, Vinnie Testaverde, Andre Reid really hot wife, but he wanted me to set him up with a hooker, both Eric Williams, Cortez Kennedy (my fave), Robert Smith, Geno Toretta. Actors, Tom Cruise, Ed Harris, Nicole Kidman, Gene Hackman, Roger Moore, Sean Connery (my uncle was a member of the R&A and lived in St. Andrews, when he died he was on hole #2 of the old course and Prince Andrew tried to revive him sorry off topic), Heather Locklear, Vince Neal, Tommy Lee, Elton John, Paul McCartney (lived beside him in Jamaica) Ringo Starr, The English Beat/ Fine Young Cannibals ( I have a scar to prove it too :), Lennox Lewis, my childhood best friend is his photographer and he stays at a buddy's hotel in jamaica a lot.
The best one I have met is my wife :) she was a Vikings Cheerleader and her sister danced in the SB halftime show here in Minneapolis.

MNFINFAN said:
NFL, Carl Eller, Vinnie Testaverde, Andre Reid really hot wife, but he wanted me to set him up with a hooker, both Eric Williams, Cortez Kennedy (my fave), Robert Smith, Geno Toretta. Actors, Tom Cruise, Ed Harris, Nicole Kidman, Gene Hackman, Roger Moore, Sean Connery (my uncle was a member of the R&A and lived in St. Andrews, when he died he was on hole #2 of the old course and Prince Andrew tried to revive him sorry off topic), Heather Locklear, Vince Neal, Tommy Lee, Elton John, Paul McCartney (lived beside him in Jamaica) Ringo Starr, The English Beat/ Fine Young Cannibals ( I have a scar to prove it too :), Lennox Lewis, my childhood best friend is his photographer and he stays at a buddy's hotel in jamaica a lot.
The best one I have met is my wife :) she was a Vikings Cheerleader and her sister danced in the SB halftime show here in Minneapolis.

lol - i was at that superbowl - flew up from fl - that was one freezing cold weekend - last cold weather superbowl i believe - nice city though - i remember hanging out at prince's club - i think it was called the glam slam - bumped into michael irvin at the airport - we got to sit in bill bates seats that year - he was one of my dads best buddies

meet dwight stephenson at work when he ran ever morning, had some really good conversations with him, meet zach out front of Dolphins Stadium, and meet dan marino through a mutual friend of mine, got his autograph and talked about being a QB

This is "old school" stuff. I've met:

Football:
O J Simpson - was cool at the time. I actually knew a couple of girls who smoked dope with him. My high school was 10 minutes from his house in Williamsville, NY. I met OJ in a store - he was with a pretty blonde - while his wife Margarite was back in So Cal.

Reggie McKenzie - OJ's main man during his big seasons. Lived in an apartment across from a friend of mine. Huge shoulders.

Merlin Olsen - when he played for the Rams. He was in Buffalo for a pre-season game. I loved the Rams then (with Roman Gabriel). Saw him wandering a mall. No one knew who he was - but I did. I was a kid but he talked to me for a while. Really nice man!
HUGE!

Freddy SOlomon - I was in Tampa, while he played for the 49ers. He lived there (went to Tampa college). He came into a sports store where I was an assistant mgr. No one was there and I recognized him. Super nice guy also.

Baseball:
Dwight Gooden & Gary Sheffield- both came in my sports store where I worked and bought shoes from me regularly. Doc was a nice guy (hated to see him fall to drugs). Sheffield, he was a jerk. Chip on his shoulder. Never smiled, and acted like you were out to get him.

Basketball:

Bob McAdoo - former Tar Heel and NBA great; hall of famer. Lived in a townhouse in Buffalo, right across the street from our townhouse. We played street football together. He was Super nice to all the kids. Once, no lie, he was running with the football and I was about to tag him. The cars in the parking lot were "out of bounds" but he didn't care - I had the angle between him and one care, and he jumped the trunk of the car! Right over it. Blew my mind! He could also throw a football a MILE! Being 6'9 helped.

I met few other Braves - Ernie DiGregorio and Randy Smith - they won't mean much to you guys - but they were pretty big names then. Ernie D was an all-american at Providence.

Hockey:

Richard Martin and Rene Robert - of the famed "French Connection" line in Buffalo - with Gilbert Perrault. Martin lived in same complex as McAdoo. He was friendly too - when we would play street hockey, he came out a few times and shot the puck around. It was awesome to see a guy with one of the hardest shots in hockey (only Bobby Hull's was considered harder at the time), shoot with us!

Met several others through the years, but the experiences were not as cool. Too many other people around.

Too many to mention

Mostly during a period I worked as a sportswriter.

Ronnie Lott was the most impressive athlete I ever met. I wrote a feature on him prior to the draft when I was writing for the student newspaper Daily Trojan at USC. Many of the high profile athletes were conceited jerks, but Lott could not have been more straight forward or helpful. He showed up 15 minutes early for our meeting at Heritage Hall, answered every question plus volunteered info I didn't ask for, then gave me a number I could reach him on draft day. Later he asked me for help on his golf swing, of all things. Plus he remembered my name several times when I saw him on campus, including last year at homecoming, 20+ years later.

Lott thought he was going to be drafted by St. Louis, BTW. What a difference that could have made in NFL history. They opted for E.J. Junior instead of Lott.

When I was about 10 years old I approached Bob Griese at a fish restaurant on South Dixie Highway, not too far from Dadeland, and asked for his autograph. Miami locals will know the place. It's now a Tai restaurant, or something like that, and painted a pathetic shade of green. Anyway, Griese was eating with his wife Judy and the two young boys, slightly younger than me. I immediately felt bad about approaching him during a meal, but he put down his fork, wiped his mouth, then signed my small piece of paper. I thanked him, and still have that autograph.

Oh yeah, when I was in college O.J. Simpson tried to steal my girlfriend. Dead serious, to use unfortunate words. She was a shapely flirtatious blonde who looked awesome from behind, and quite a bit like Nicole. O.J. somehow found out where she worked on campus and visited every day for a week, usually with flowers. Finally, she told him he seemed like a great guy, but just wasn't the right color. She insists that's what she told him. O.J. was apparently stunned and never came back. After the '94 episode, I called her and she exclaimed, "You remember what happened. That could have been me!"

I see O.J. every time I'm in Miami. He lives near Killian High School and plays golf at Calusa Country Club on Kendall Drive. That's where I see him. He can barely walk. Good short game. A buxom blonde named Kristi usually follows in a separate cart.

I have met Mark Clayton, AJ Duhe, Jeff Uhlenhake, Earl Morrall, Lamar Thomas,Troy Stradford, Don Beebe, Roger Craig

Lets see, Well I used to work the door at a bar in Williamsburg VA, and William and Mary had a football camp every summer, and the coaches from camp would bring all the players to the bar next door, which gave me the opportunity to meet them on their way in or out.. Met Bruce Smith (total jack *** ), Rod Woodson(nice, but I could tell a few stories about him:wink:, lets just say a lot doesnt get by the doormen..) Natrone Means (BIG MAMA JAMA there.. My friend Danny was a DE at VA Tech at the time and he was outside with me when Means came out..Danny had said he would drop into his stance and pop Natrone when he came out and we were like SURE danny...anyway, Nate comes out, danny looks at him and drops into his 3 point..and we were like Oh crap, hes gonna do it?!?! Then Danny pops up and says.."Here's my Quarter! It was actually really funny..Natrone's people were like WTF??) Jerome Bettis (he actually came back out and hung out with me for a while and helped me card people..pretty damn funny I thought..he is unbelievably HUGE if you see him in person...) Mr. Marino..that boy put down some serious beer that night!!! REALLY Nice though..before the drinking and after..Jim Kelly, and a chunk more.. Music wise, I worked for 7Mary3 if you remember them.., hung out with LIVE a couple of times...Oh Damn almost forgot..Met Mr H. too.. right after Dans retirement ceremony...he was in town for a meeting and I just approached him and thanked him for the way they handled the ceremony, and I thanked him for all he does for Dolpin fans and he was really nice and sincere..I though that was cool..

I've had the honor of meeting quite a few stars over the years in various (sometimes very unlikely) settings. The following are ALL of the stars (sports only as I have also met entertainers).....

Shaq (when he was still in highschool at Cole HS in San Antonio TX - hist stepfather was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston. We used to treat Shaq at the dental clinic on base....before he went off to LSU. Turned into a real jerk once drafted by the Magic. Shaq is the reason that I can't be a Heat fan. I'll stick with the Spurs.)

Tim Duncan (Just as shy and down to earth in person as he is before the camera).

David Robinson a.k.a The Admiral (Extremely nice person, great role-model for young athletes. Very humble.)

Avery Johnson a.k.a. The Lil' General (the only thing bigger than his heart is his smile).

Sean Elliot (had his kindey transplant performed at the hospital I worked at in San Antonio)

Greg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs head coach....we used to get take out at the same chinese restraunt. Very nice, humble guy.)

Stone Cold Steve Austin (for a guy that acts so mean, he's one of the nicest people you could ever meet)

Hulk Hogan (when he was on the small-time local circuit in south Alabama. Back when he used to come into the restraunt I worked at, he was known as Terry "the Hulk" Boulder)

Rick Flair (same circuit as Hulk)

Dusty Rhodes (same as above)

Mike Alstott (met him at the children's hospital in St. Pete, I always thought he was so much bigger)

Jorge Posada - Yankees catcher (his son was a patient of mine. Super nice family)

Roy Jones Jr. (I used to watch him spar in Pensacola years before he went to the Korean olympics....used to be a very humble and nice guy)

Emmit Smith (watched him play highschool football in Pensacola...the guy was amazing even then)

Bo Jackson (I met Bo when I attended the Pat Dye football camp at Auburn when I was in highschool. It was his Junior year. The guy was friggin huge!)

Evander Holyfield (he came to speak to my brother's youth group at his church. Super nice guy).

Priest Homes

Koy and Ty Detmer

Janet Guthrie (the first female formula one driver)

Now, onto the Phins I have met (it really hasn't been that many)......

Junior Seau (came to visit one of the terminally ill kids in my PICU. One of the nicest stars I have ever met [right up there with the Spurs I've met]. Was surprised at how big he really is. Spoke with him and took pictures with him. BTW, weclome back Junior!)

and now to the ultimate Dolphin.....

Don Shula (met this guy at the gas station of all places. We were pumping gas at the same pump and he spoke to me. He was wearing a hat and sunglasses and I never even recognized him until he came in behind me to pay. I glanced around and he had taken his glasses off. You would think that the chin would have been a dead givaway, but apparently that wasn't a large enough clue for me. Anyway, once I recognized him, I couldn't say a word. I opened my mouth and nothing came out. Couldn't even ask for an autograph. That's the only time that I can remember ever being speechless.):)

I'm certain that I will be meeting more Phins, Marlins and Panthers (as well as athletes from Uof M) as they come to visit the kids at the children's hospital I work at. We never know ahead of time. They just show up. You can always count on them coming around Christmas as well. It's great to see the look on kids faces when athletes come in to visit.

*I did not list players that I have gained autographs from via training camp as I really don't feel that this is actually meeting them but rather competing with everyone else around for a signature. :wink:

I met Derek Jeter at Dream in Washington, D.C. about four years ago, I had a chance to talk to him for a couple of minutes, he is one of the coolest guys around.

I met Michelle Wie at a Starbucks in Wilmington, DE two years ago, they have a LPGA tournament every June at the Dupont County Club. I didn't even recognize her, we were in line next to each other talking about how bad the weather was the last couple of days, just shooting the breeze to past time until we got served. After she got her coffee, she said bye and some lady asked me if I knew who she was. I said no, all I knew was she was pretty tall for a young girl. Until the lady said the name, then I realized. :lol:

I met Arnold Schwarznegger when I was on vacation in Hollywood back in the mid 80's with my mom. I was on a tour in the Universal Studios and we were lucky enough to run into him at the Studio. I had a chance to shake his hand, he d-@-m-n near broke my hand. :lol:

I met Destiny's Child before they were big when they had an album release party of their first album back in '99 in Philly. My friend works for a promoter who threw the party and he gave him two tickets to the party, so we went together. They all wanted me, I had to break their hearts... ;)

I was very, very, very lucky to meet the beautiful Salma Hayek while on vacation in Aruba two years ago with my girlfriend (now wife) and she is the sweetest person you will ever meet (ok, I was infatuated too) , I talked to her for five minutes. I though it was nice of her to take the time to speak to a fan, she was telling me about a movie she just finished called "After the Sunset". D-@-m-N, she wanted me too, but my g/f was close by... :wink: .... :lol:

I met Dan Marino in a club in Atlanta in 1986...he was a little rude, but I guess that is to expected...He did talk for a minute or two, but then blew me off...not really unexpected, but I was excited at the time...

Current NFL guys that I know personally, and either coached or coached against in HS are:

Chris Clairborne (LB)
Kyle Turley (OL)
Sammy Knight (SS)
Hakim Akbar (OLB)
Sean Brewer (TE)

Coached against these guys, dont know them personally
Larry Ned (RB)
Lonie Paxton (LS)
Darren Chiviarini (WR)
Duane Clemons (DE)
Tony Boselli (OL)

I'm sure there are more but thats all I can think of for now....

here is a list of pro athletes i have met...

Marino
Doss
Shula
Mark Clayton the dolphin
Mark Duper
Jalen Rose
Bo Outlaw
Matt Light (friend of the family) 3rd cousin
Cutinno Mobly
Michael Redd
Kenyon Martin
Eddie George