Football -vs- Soccer discussion | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football -vs- Soccer discussion

Prime Time said:
Thanks. I knew there had to be more Football leagues. In any case, I agree that it should be National Champs. I didn't know USA was the World now...:rolleyes:
the NFL is undoubtly better than other leagues, you would have heard about these other leagues if they were any good. I think the NFL champ has the right to be world champs. I agree with you on the other leagues but let me bring up something. Canada has a team in the NBA, MLB and multiple teams in the NHL plus with such diversity in every league (for example all of the Europeans in the NBA or all of the players from Japan or Dominican republic in the MLB) I think it's fair to call them world champs in those sports.

every player dreams of playing in one of our leagues, thats why so many from other country's play here. the NBA unquestionably has the best athletes in it so many play for their country's in the Olympics. Tony Parker for France, Dirk for Germany to name a couple

nick1 said:
the NFL is undoubtly better than other leagues, you would have heard about these other leagues if they were any good. I think the NFL champ has the right to be world champs. I agree with you on the other leagues but let me bring up something. Canada has a team in the NBA, MLB and multiple teams in the NHL plus with such diversity in every league (for example all of the Europeans in the NBA or all of the players from Japan or Dominican republic in the MLB) I think it's fair to call them world champs in those sports.

every player dreams of playing in one of our leagues, thats why so many from other country's play here. the NBA unquestionably has the best athletes in it so many play for their country's in the Olympics. Tony Parker for France, Dirk for Germany to name a couple

They dream to play here for the $$$...If there league offered the same kinds of money, don't you think they'd stay home?

The World Champs shouldn't be used until they play other teams from other Countries. Just my 0.02...I know we're not going to agree on this.

Prime Time said:
They dream to play here for the $$$...If there league offered the same kinds of money, don't you think they'd stay home?

The World Champs shouldn't be used until they play other teams from other Countries. Just my 0.02...I know we're not going to agree on this.

By the same logic, the superbowl winner isn't even the national champ because they didn't play every football team in the US!!!

If the best players play in a given league, and no other league compares to them skill-wise, it's fair to call the winner in the league the world champ.

RobFins2005 said:
I hate when an NBA, NFL, or MLB team wins a championship, they're the "world champions". It's such a load of crap, especially considering how in events like the Olympics, World Baseball Classic, or whatnot, America has been defeated lately.

National champions? sure. Don't proclaim yourself World Champions when the rest of the world wasn't even invited to play.

If American basketball players cared about the Olympics we would field the best team every year. They don't and some players have had negative effects because they played in the Olympics right after a long run in the playoffs. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili basically played a year straight of basketball a few years ago because of the olympics and long playoff runs. I think players should be more loyal to their team not their country.

As for the NFL do you really think the scrubs who are fighting to be the 3rd running back on a depth chart or the practice squad Qb's of NFL Europe can compete even with the worst the NFL has to offer?

Baseball has the best arguement but still the best players from Japan come to play in the United States the guys who can't cut it in the United States go to play in Japan. The WBC was alright but if it was a true competition to find out who the best national team in the world was their should've been no restrictions on pitchers.

Prime Time said:

it's no big deal, I don't really care about it. in America we just think we're better than everybody else and that explains it

nick1 said:

I think the Euro leagues make more money then the nfl. Heck they were saying that Ronaldinho makes like 100mill/yr in salary and endorsement.

I feel like we are in those beer commericial

Taste Great Less Filling
Taste Great Less Filling
Taste Great Less Filling

djfresh47 said:
I'm talking more like MLS not the World Cup. Every four years American fans will watch some World Cupt but you're telling me that people care if the New York Red Bulls or whatever they're called lose to some other MLS team?

Nobody really cares about the MLS that's why. You can't compare the MLS to other sports. The MLS is like nfl europe for soccer. MLS will never be popular until they bring in some top talent. Most of the USA's stars play across sea's in the premierships. Once the MLS bring in some top talent (ex: rumors of Ronaldo and Beckham coming to the MLS) then the market will grow and be more comparable to the other sports.

MARINO1384 said:
Nobody really cares about the MLS that's why. You can't compare the MLS to other sports. The MLS is like nfl europe for soccer. MLS will never be popular until they bring in some top talent. Most of the USA's stars play across sea's in the premierships. Once the MLS bring in some top talent (ex: rumors of Ronaldo and Beckham coming to the MLS) then the market will grow and be more comparable to the other sports.

:yes:

Barca (ronaldinho) comming this summer and im pretty sure they will sell out every stadium. When Man U and Real Madrid came through the US to play games they sold out every stadium they went to.

MARINO1384 said:

What sports is it going to be equal to in the United States? Maybe the NHL but nobody cares about that either. So we shouldn't care about the MLS, should we care about teams overseas in the premier leagues? I don't recall seeing any nationally televised Man U games, if people wanted to watch that don't you think television programmers would put it on?

djfresh47 said:
What sports is it going to be equal to in the United States? Maybe the NHL but nobody cares about that either. So we shouldn't care about the MLS, should we care about teams overseas in the premier leagues? I don't recall seeing any nationally televised Man U games, if people wanted to watch that don't you think television programmers would put it on?

Foxsports carries many games from England, Germany and Italy. Nevertheless, it's an interesting point that the ratings for those aren't high enough to get the major carriers to clamour after them like with the Big 3 sports.

Prime Time said:
Greatest country? :lol: I love America, and it has so much to offer but the Greatest? We are a country in War. We are a country with a lot of hatred towards our President. We are a country with financial problems as well. Greatest country is just an opinion my friend.

We are at war w/ an evil regime but we are the bad guys, right?:lol: Go live in Iraq or somewhere else if you don't think this is the greatest Country in the World.

Greatest Country is a fact, it's why much of the World doesn't like us- it's JEALOUSY.

Look at the latest Official Game Thread..US vs Italy...in 1 week it has almost has as many posts in it then the Official NY Yankees thread, and that has been around since at least April.

Game threads can get quite lengthy very fast, that's a ridiculous comparison and what exactly does it prove?

Amars said:
Here your proof. Just like everything else you say is wrong.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5692456

:sidelol: Can you read? It saus the most to see a SOCCER game on ESPN2. :sidelol: You showed me:lol:

You would agree that largest program compared to largest soccer program is a big difference, right?

By the way, here was your quote:

That why the US match has the highest rating on ESPN this year.

First off it was ESPN2(not even good enough to make ESPN and I'll bet the 45th rerun of SC got more ratings than the WC) and secondly it was the higest rated SOCCER game not highest rated program.

nyjunc said:
We are at war w/ an evil regime but we are the bad guys, right?:lol: Go live in Iraq or somewhere else if you don't think this is the greatest Country in the World.

Greatest Country is a fact, it's why much of the World doesn't like us- it's JEALOUSY.

Regardless of the merit of the rest of your post, the above quote is just laughable. There are MANY people from Europe or Japan who can tell you why they would rather live over there than here (and do). If you look at the social services the average German or Japanese receives, there are many things enviable to the American who experiences them (whether you call this jealousy or admiration is irrelevant - given the choice of having such services or not, most Americans would say yes they would want them.)

So, what kind of services are these? Start with universal health care, the fact higher education is nearly free (don't start with this elite university business - yes the US has more of those, but most people don't go to them - I went to Columbia University, and one thing that university does it put you in debt!!), the quality of public transportation, etc..

This isn't taking anything away from the US. Personally, I would rather live here, and there are things in this country I find much better than in Europe (lived in Germany 8 years) or Japan (lived there 4 years). But, "great" or "greatest" is just an opinion, especially when you're comparing a wider variety of measurable quantities (US is #1 in GDP, military strength, etc.., but lags on many other issues).

As far as the war in Iraq is concerned, most Americans now think it was a bad idea to start the war. The question isn't how bad the regime over there was (there are many other such regimes, but we don't just start a war with every one of them do we?). The question is what the cost for regime change is, and many are starting to find out the cost is too great, so that's nothing to be proud of. Also, anti-Americanism has vastly increased since then, leading to fewer people who would think this is such a great country.

Anyway, don't treat an opinion as a fact, however much you (and I) would want to live here.

nyjunc said:
:sidelol: Can you read? It saus the most to see a SOCCER game on ESPN2. :sidelol: You showed me:lol:

You would agree that largest program compared to largest soccer program is a big difference, right?

Well, this is embarrassing to say the least (for you). It's not "Can Amars read", it's "Can nyjunc read" that needs to be asked!!!

That link clearly states "It was the most-watched program on the network this year." So, that includes ALL programs on ESPN2 for 2006.

Now, if you for some reason can't seem to understand that English, here's another link where the quote is clearer: "It was also the most watched and viewed telecast on ESPN2 this year to date."

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002688050

:sidelol:

When I said in my previous post "regardless of the merit of the rest of your post" I hope you didn't get any false confidence the rest of your post was valid :lol:

ckb2001 said:
Well, this is embarrassing to say the least (for you). It's not "Can Amars read", it's "Can nyjunc read" that needs to be asked!!!

That link clearly states "It was the most-watched program on the network this year." So, that includes ALL programs on ESPN2 for 2006.

Now, if you for some reason can't seem to understand that English, here's another link where the quote is clearer: "It was also the most watched and viewed telecast on ESPN2 this year to date."

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002688050

:sidelol:

When I said in my previous post "regardless of the merit of the rest of your post" I hope you didn't get any false confidence the rest of your post was valid :lol:

It also says:

NEW YORK (AP) - The United States' 3-0 loss to the Czech Republic was watched by 2.14 million households, the most to see a soccer game on ESPN2.

and again he said ESPN and it was ESPN2 which is a HUGE difference as ESPN2 is not in nearly as many homes as ESPN and ESPN2 always gets the crappier events. I made the mistkae of not reading past the 1st paragraph and was wrong on most watch espn2 program but he was completely wrong while I was partially wrong.

Back
Top Bottom