Football -vs- Soccer discussion | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football -vs- Soccer discussion

Roman529 said:
Soccer practice is much harder than football....for the most part you are running most of the time, unlike football where you are doing blocking drills and running plays, followed by a whistle and a huddle.
Can you see Manny Wright on a soccer field. :sidelol:

he said you "can't not" tell him :)

Whitedolphin54 said:
Well we are waiting. You actually sound like you are only ever going to compete in a game that you are going to win. Dont you like a challenge. I suppose you only like the NFL because you are not threatened by other Nations beating you!

I hate when an NBA, NFL, or MLB team wins a championship, they're the "world champions". It's such a load of crap, especially considering how in events like the Olympics, World Baseball Classic, or whatnot, America has been defeated lately.

National champions? sure. Don't proclaim yourself World Champions when the rest of the world wasn't even invited to play.

RobFins2005 said:
I hate when an NBA, NFL, or MLB team wins a championship, they're the "world champions". It's such a load of crap, especially considering how in events like the Olympics, World Baseball Classic, or whatnot, America has been defeated lately.

National champions? sure. Don't proclaim yourself World Champions when the rest of the world wasn't even invited to play.

It's probably accurate almost all the time. The world's best players in American football play in the NFL, so why wouldn't they be world champs??? Same with basketball.

The only possibility where the world series champ might not be the world champ would be if you take the champion from Japan and let them play the world series champ. However, most of the time (more like 4 out of 5 at worst), the world series champ would win. With few exceptions, Japan's best stars play in the US, and those that don't do so because of contract obligations, not because they don't think MLB wouldn't be a better league for them to play in.

Remember, this is club football/basketball/baseball, and the world is invited to play (send players here).

RobFins2005 said:

Yeah the term World Champions is thrown around too much. Champs? Yes. National Champs? Yes. World Champs? Errrrr. No.

RobFins2005 said:

in the NFL it's okay because any NFL team would kill a CFL or AFL team and those are the only other football leagues

ckb2001 said:
It's probably accurate almost all the time. The world's best players in American football play in the NFL, so why wouldn't they be world champs??? Same with basketball.

The only possibility where the world series champ might not be the world champ would be if you take the champion from Japan and let them play the world series champ. However, most of the time (more like 4 out of 5 at worst), the world series champ would win. With few exceptions, Japan's best stars play in the US, and those that don't do so because of contract obligations, not because they don't think MLB wouldn't be a better league for them to play in.

Remember, this is club football/basketball/baseball, and the world is invited to play (send players here).

No. Look at the all star teams we send to play in the Olympics or WBC and look how they fair. They aren't World Champs. And there are other leagues with some pretty good talent.

nick1 said:
in the NFL it's okay because any NFL team would kill a CFL or AFL team and those are the only other football leagues

There are more Football leagues then that...I think?

ckb2001 said:

Then why do we have a much larger base of European exports? The gap between the NBA and european leagues is closing. Argue all you want that the USA didn't send its best team to the last Olympics, but back in 1992, we could have sent the Sacramento Kings and won a gold medal.

the USA only took the bronze at the last competition. I don't think it can automatically lay claim to the "best athletes" anymore without proving it.

The US didn't look good in the World Baseball Classic either.

Football? Yea, since most of the rest of the globe doesn't play it, of course we dominate that sport.

Your point about having players from other nationalities play in the USA misses the point--the US proclaims themselves "world champions" at sports where teams from foreign leagues aren't even in competition with them.

The term should be "National Champions". That's what they use in college football.

Prime Time said:
There are more Football leagues then that...I think?

there's about 6 other operating indoor football leagues, NFL Europe.....

RobFins2005 said:
there is? I know about the NFL, NFL Europe, AFL, CFL, who else?

RobFins2005 said:

Thanks. I knew there had to be more Football leagues. In any case, I agree that it should be National Champs. I didn't know USA was the World now...:rolleyes:

Prime Time said:
No. Look at the all star teams we send to play in the Olympics or WBC and look how they fair. They aren't World Champs. And there are other leagues with some pretty good talent.

We're talking about club sports! Also, the US doesn't take international basketball that seriously, and even then we've only had one real hiccup tournament.

World champs are warranted in football and basketball for sure (no other leagues compare to them), and in baseball only the Japanese league might compete, but over a whole playoff series most unlikely.

RobFins2005 said:
Then why do we have a much larger base of European exports? The gap between the NBA and european leagues is closing. Argue all you want that the USA didn't send its best team to the last Olympics, but back in 1992, we could have sent the Sacramento Kings and won a gold medal.

the USA only took the bronze at the last competition. I don't think it can automatically lay claim to the "best athletes" anymore without proving it.

The US didn't look good in the World Baseball Classic either.

Football? Yea, since most of the rest of the globe doesn't play it, of course we dominate that sport.

Your point about having players from other nationalities play in the USA misses the point--the US proclaims themselves "world champions" at sports where teams from foreign leagues aren't even in competition with them.

The term should be "National Champions". That's what they use in college football.

We're talking about CLUB sports, so don't mention the Olympics or WBC (which we really didn't care much about). Most of the best international players play in our leagues.

As far as club sports are concerned, the gap is pretty large for NFL, NBA (and let me also add NHL)! Like I said, MLB might not always produce world champs, but most often (very often) they would.

ckb2001 said:
We're talking about CLUB sports, so don't mention the Olympics or WBC (which we really didn't care much about). Most of the best international players play in our leagues.

As far as club sports are concerned, the gap is pretty large for NFL, NBA (and let me also add NHL)! Like I said, MLB might not always produce world champs, but most often (very often) they would.

I disagree completely.

Prime Time said:
I disagree completely.

Specifically what part do you disagree with? That we are talking about CLUB sports? If you do disagree with that, it makes no sense to say the NFL or NBA produces world champs, since those are club teams.

So, if we are talking about club sports, show me one football league that could compete with the NFL!! OK, what about basketball? All the international stars play in the NBA (here, there really are no worthy exceptions), and the same with NHL! I already mentioned by argument for the MLB vs Japan league.

So, please be specific. What do you disagree with? And let's start first with whether you agree we're talking about club sports, cuz if we're not it makes no sense to even label something National Champs eh?

Back
Top Bottom