Football -vs- Soccer discussion | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football -vs- Soccer discussion

ckb2001 said:
Well, this is embarrassing to say the least (for you). It's not "Can Amars read", it's "Can nyjunc read" that needs to be asked!!!

That link clearly states "It was the most-watched program on the network this year." So, that includes ALL programs on ESPN2 for 2006.

Now, if you for some reason can't seem to understand that English, here's another link where the quote is clearer: "It was also the most watched and viewed telecast on ESPN2 this year to date."

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002688050

:sidelol:

When I said in my previous post "regardless of the merit of the rest of your post" I hope you didn't get any false confidence the rest of your post was valid :lol:

Your link also mentions how ratings rae up from 2002. Well when no one watches in 2002 and a fe wpeople watch in 2006 then ratings go up.

nyjunc said:
It also says:

and again he said ESPN and it was ESPN2 which is a HUGE difference as ESPN2 is not in nearly as many homes as ESPN and ESPN2 always gets the crappier events. I made the mistkae of not reading past the 1st paragraph and was wrong on most watch espn2 program but he was completely wrong while I was partially wrong.

OK, I checked.. yup Amars did say ESPN. So, right, he was wrong on that count and you didn't read far enough.

nyjunc said:
It also says:

and again he said ESPN and it was ESPN2 which is a HUGE difference as ESPN2 is not in nearly as many homes as ESPN and ESPN2 always gets the crappier events. I made the mistkae of not reading past the 1st paragraph and was wrong on most watch espn2 program but he was completely wrong while I was partially wrong.

Domino's is also played on ESPN 2.

My bad ESPN2, does it really matter. The fact is soccer is growing in the US. I think the rating double from the last world cup. Those numbers probably would be alot higher if they played primetime. The fact that they played at noon and still drew a high audience speaks alot about how many American do like soccer in the US.

Amars said:
My bad ESPN2, does it really matter. The fact is soccer is growing in the US. I think the rating double from the last world cup. Those numbers probably would be alot higher if they played primetime. The fact that they played at noon and still drew a high audience speaks alot about how many American do like soccer in the US.

Weren't the games played at odd times(US time) during the last WC? So saying the ratings are better now isn't that big of deal, I'd bet the ratings in '94 were highger and if they could sustain success then the ratings would have continued to be high for the next 2 WCs and they were not.

Ratings for a WC don't prove Americans are starting to like Soccer, the Olympics get ratings too but people are't watching the speed skating Championships other than at the olympics. In America people like big events and the WC is a big event and still the ratings are not that high.

Is it getting more popular? Maybe but I still don't ever see it becoming a big time sport in this Country.

nyjunc said:
Weren't the games played at odd times(US time) during the last WC? So saying the ratings are better now isn't that big of deal, I'd bet the ratings in '94 were highger and if they could sustain success then the ratings would have continued to be high for the next 2 WCs and they were not.

Ratings for a WC don't prove Americans are starting to like Soccer, the Olympics get ratings too but people are't watching the speed skating Championships other than at the olympics. In America people like big events and the WC is a big event and still the ratings are not that high.

Is it getting more popular? Maybe but I still don't ever see it becoming a big time sport in this Country.

Rating were pretty good for the last game vs. Italy. Highest since 1998 World Cup Championship game. And that not even counting the spanish channel. If the US game would gone up against a reg season baseball or basketball game it would killed them in the ratings.

http://sports.aol.com/worldcup/stor...gh-overnight-tv/20060618153009990001?cid=2447

Soccer is so popular around the world because it is the sport of the people...anybody can play. You don't need to be tall like in basketball, or strong like in football. There is no physical stereotype for soccer. All you need is something round you can kick, and something to delineate the goals. Soccer is fun to watch but more fun to play. In the U.S. football rules, but the rest of the world plays soccer.

Football in the US will always be #1 but Soccer has made great strides in the US.

WestPhish said:
Soccer is so popular around the world because it is the sport of the people...anybody can play. You don't need to be tall like in basketball, or strong like in football. There is no physical stereotype for soccer. All you need is something round you can kick, and something to delineate the goals. Soccer is fun to watch but more fun to play. In the U.S. football rules, but the rest of the world plays soccer.

You bring up a good point.

It's not that Soccer is any better game than any others.
It's the fact that ANY country can plop down a coconut onto the ground and start kicking it towards a goal which is made out of sticks.

That is why it's a world event. Every single country can participate. Can you imagine economically challenged countries trying to outfit youth organizations with helmets and pads for football leagues or ice skates, pads and hockey sticks for hockey youth leagues? Let's not even get into what kind of money they'd need to establish training complexes to bring players up to par physically with other nations.

I find it funny when soccer fans try to argue that soccer is clearly the best sport by arguing "because it's the world's game".

Well no joke, it's the only sport the entire would could competitively compete in.

Trekbiz said:

It's the fact that ANY country can plop down a coconut onto the ground and start kicking it towards a goal which is made out of sticks.

That is why it's a world event. Every single country can participate. Can you imagine economically challenged countries trying to outfit youth organizations with helmets and pads for football leagues or ice skates, pads and hockey sticks for hockey youth leagues? Let's not even get into what kind of money they'd need to establish training complexes to bring players up to par physically with other nations.

I find it funny when soccer fans try to argue that soccer is clearly the best sport by arguing "because it's the world's game".

Well no joke, it's the only sport the entire would could competitively compete in.

When I was in school in Argentina, we were not allowed to bring a real soccer ball, so our soccer balls used to be made from old stockings and duck tape. Ofcourse, the ball eventually came undone, but school recess was nothing without a good soccer match.

Regardless of my feelings on the game I say :

Go USA! beat Ghana this morning.

So I watched the game today and a problem that I saw in it is that their are probably double the number of guys carried off on stretchers in one game than an entire NFL season. The guy that I constantly heard about and read about for the USA team was nowhere to be found or heard from.

djfresh47 said:
So I watched the game today and a problem that I saw in it is that their are probably double the number of guys carried off on stretchers in one game than an entire NFL season.

Faking injury to get the ref to dole out a yellow card or simply to waste time when leading has become an unwelcome tradition in soccer. Again, the simplest solution to this is to add another ref on the field and stop the clock for time-wasting.

ckb2001 said:
Faking injury to get the ref to dole out a yellow card or simply to waste time when leading has become an unwelcome tradition in soccer. Again, the simplest solution to this is to add another ref on the field and stop the clock for time-wasting.

I'm not a fan of soccer but it is amazing how often I seen that in the very little I watched. A guy would be carried off on a stretcher and then two minutes later back in the game. I did watch the USA/Ghana game and I think I recall the commentators who were not objective at all and seemed to have a huge rooting interest for the USA talking about a guy just being tired and laying down faking late in the game for Ghana. Even people who enjoy soccer have to think that this is a huge problem for the sport. Erik Cole played with a broken neck in the Stanley Cup Finals, Tony Parrish breaks his leg and walks off of the football field; some soccer guy gets a hang-nail and needs a stretcher.

Trekbiz said:

:rolleyes:

Your point is???

Soccer is the best sport IMO...

Back
Top Bottom