For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Matt Ryan haters/Beck lovers...

Well I'm sold then. Thanks Mr.ED and writer person! I'm convinced we should go after Ryan, SCREW BECK!

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

Didn't you know the talking horse is the top regarded scout in NFL circles now?

Thanks to Boomer for taking on this latest round of shallow "Beck is a clear bust" posts. Thankyou for pointing out things that should be obvious but just seem to escape the average fan.

Alot of scouts think he will be good, I think he is far from a media darling. Teams did not really take Beck that seriously until they saw he had better arms strength than initially thought.

I think the fact that every NFL show on T.V has debated whether or not the Fins should take Ryan makes him a media darling. (Because he's not a very good QB.)

Lord I hope we stay far, far away from Chad Henne. Again, not a professional scout, but from what I watched of Chad Henne, he makes terrible decisions with the ball, throws from a funky angle that makes his accuracy hot and cold, and he does not "lead" very well.

Just say "NO" to Chad Henne.

Personally, I'd go for the DL with the first pick, try to trade down #32, and then get a QB later on in the draft. You can re-build the lines quickly with the talent in this draft, and find a QB later on and in FA.

Being a huge Canes fan, I watched a lot of other ACC games, and "Matty Ice" might be a sweet sounding nickname, but it would probably be more accurate if his nickname were "Matty brings us back because he had a terrible game all game long to put us in the position we needed to come back from in the first place Ryan."
Good chance Henne goes in the 1st so I wouldnt sweat it. But I would sweat out the Ryan possibility

Wow man, you've got smething on your nose. Sheesh!

I don't get all the John Beck hype. Some of the draft gurus on this site proclaim him the next Rich Gannon or Drew Brees and suddenly that's what he is???? "I don't care how he plays as a rookie, so and so said he'll be great and so he shall." Give me a break!

Please don't classify me as a person that just follows the word of the "gurus" because I do a ton of research and I devlope my own opinions. (Hell, I wrote a 7 page first round mock a month ago.)

I've been on the "Matt Ryan is over rated band wagon" for a long time now (since the regular season game vs. Virginia Tech) and sorry for being somewhat rational in thinking 3.5 games isn't enough to evaluate a player.

Please don't classify me as a person that just follows the word of the "gurus" because I do a ton of research and I devlope my own opinions. (Hell, I wrote a 7 page first round mock a month ago.)

I've been on the "Matt Ryan is over rated band wagon" for a long time now (since the regular season game vs. Virginia Tech) and sorry for being somewhat rational in thinking 3.5 games isn't enough to evaluate a player.
Many of us were early to this dance. I started the season on the Brohm bandwagon, by October I had discovered Chris Long and Ryan Clady and switched and by November it was Matt Ryan. Along the way I've picked up a couple of hitchhikers - DE Phillip Merling, DE Jeremy Thompson, NT Red Bryant, LB Phillip Wheeler, CB Leodis McKelvin, RB Rashard Mendenhall, OT Chris Williams, etc...

Trust me, I had no crowd and no media when I started the Ryan calls

parcells better make the correct decision on a qb or his stay in miami will be short lived and ugly unless he can swing a trade next year. not many people thought very much of john beck other than ron jaworski and merril hodge the two biggest idiots in bristol

Totally untrue. But, if you repeat it often enough, you will start believing it too.:lol:

How many of the 22 teams have an established no1 starter at the QB position?

The point he made was "if a franchise passer is on the board, you take him". That patently isn't true.

Teams did not really take Beck that seriously until they saw he had better arms strength than initially thought.

I don't even know what that means?

Any area scout assigned to BYU - which they would have been - would have known that Beck had a strong arm. Any cursory viewing of John during his time in Provo would have known that.

You intonate that all of a sudden Beck became legitimate when he got to a private workout, when that patently wasn't the case.

So what makes all the other draftniks who say Ryan IS a franchise QB wrong??? You don't think they watch tape too??? Are they all just fools and have no idea how to evaluate talant???

Also, where did you have Quinn rated last year??? Who did you want to pick him??? Hmmmmm?????

Most people don't believe him to be a franchise QB. It is what it is.

I had Quinn rated highly; Quinn who grades out MUCH higher than Matt Ryan and would fall into the franchise QB category. Who did I want to pick him? Miami, along with Ted Ginn as stated for a long time.

Oh and the year before that, it was Cromartie, Jason Allen, Brod Bunkley or Manny Lawson.

You want me to go on?

I don't think the issue is quite that simple. Ratings for Quinn (last year) and Ryan range from top-10 "franchise" QB, to mid-late 1st round pick. Beck pretty much graded as a 2nd (to 3rd) round pick (and would again if he was coming out this year, IMO).

It really depends where people stand on these players. If people think Ryan/Quinn are really late 1st rounders (i.e. not a sure-fire franchise QB), then they would believe Ryan/Quinn would be only a minimal upgrade over Beck (and thus not worth considering).

However, there are plenty of people (fans, scouts, GM's) that feel that Ryan (like Quinn last year) IS a franchise QB. In that case, it would make sense to draft him, regardless of Beck. For example, if Parcells/Ireland are CONVINCED that Ryan is a franchise QB, I'm not sure I would want them to pass him up, just because we have Beck.

Absolutely, Beck's 4 games (or 3 5/8's games:)) are not enough to know what he will become (it would be better if he had not looked quite so bad, though).

Personally, I don't want to take Ryan. Beck has a nice arm, and I'd like to think we can develop him. I'd rather address other areas in the draft. I can understand the feeling, though, that we should take Ryan.

You make solid points, but I would be very surprised if teams graded Matt Ryan out higher than Brady Quinn. I don't know - how would I, but based on what you hear, etc.

I also know that Miami is 1-15. When you have a 2nd round QB who a pretty good talent evaluator in Randy Mueller tried trading up to get and you seehim perform in 3 and a half games, you'd like to think he'd get a little bit more of a chance to show himself, rather than spunking the #1 pick on a QB where too many people don't view him as a franchise QB, considering the holes elsewhere.

I understand the feeling of taking Ryan, but it comes from a 'win yesterday' mindset. Thank God people like Tom Coughlin and Ernie Accorsi and Floyd Reese gave Eli Manning the time.

Personally, I'd like John Beck a lot more if he wasn't going to be 28 before opening day next year. He's older than Eli Manning...

Get ready to love him then because he's only 26 and will only be 27 in late August.

;)

Most people don't believe him to be a franchise QB. It is what it is.

I had Quinn rated highly; Quinn who grades out MUCH higher than Matt Ryan and would fall into the franchise QB category. Who did I want to pick him? Miami, along with Ted Ginn as stated for a long time.

Oh and the year before that, it was Cromartie, Jason Allen, Brod Bunkley or Manny Lawson.

You want me to go on?

My apologies then. I just was confused by the 22 teams passed on him so he must not be a franchise QB comment. I thought you were back tracking since we didn't pick him. You know, the shine is off the apple when it fell in someone else's barrel type of thing.

Also, what top prospect this year doesn't have question marks??? There really isn't a can't miss prospect to make us not consider Ryan.

My apologies then. I just was confused by the 22 teams passed on him so he must not be a franchise QB comment. I thought you were back tracking since we didn't pick him. You know, the shine is off the apple when it fell in someone else's barrel type of thing.

Also, what top prospect this year doesn't have question marks??? There really isn't a can't miss prospect to make us not consider Ryan.

sure there is.. at least two.. Dorsey and Howie's kid.

This is what I'm talking about. You've watched some games and formed an opinion on Ryan. How is this any different than what people are doing to Beck??? Yet they're wrong because there isn't "enough film," and you're evaluation is right because there is enough film??? Come on!

sure there is.. at least two.. Dorsey and Howie's kid.

I've alwasy respected your opinions, but you're telling me that those two leave no doubt in you mind??? Nothing about speed or motivation?? NOthing about undersized???

Back
Top Bottom