Former Dolphin Minkah Fitzpatrick speaks on fallout with Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Dolphin Minkah Fitzpatrick speaks on fallout with Miami

Yeah

It was more of a motivational dig, than an indication of the player.

Glenn was a very solid #1 for a few years. Fast, and great route runner IIRC.

Excerpt below taken from a Fort Worth Star-Telegram article not long after TG‘s fateful accident.

Glenn famously clashed with Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells as a rookie. Parcells referred to him as “she.” But Glenn became an instant star, catching 90 passes for 1,132 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie to help the Patriots advance to the Super Bowl.

At the time, his 90 receptions were the most in a single season by a rookie in NFL history.

“I loved him,” Parcells said. “He was just one my guys, a special guy. All I can tell you is I’m very sad. I really loved him. I really did. This young man had a hard life. (At) 13 years old, his mother gets killed. He was by himself. I got him when he was really young. I always liked him a lot. It hurts.”

Parcells said the “she” comments were taken out of context.

“He caught a pass his rookie year down at Giants Stadium. It was late in the game in the fourth quarter and we were behind. We wound up winning that game in the last minute. I told him in the locker room, ‘you keep making plays like that, I’m going to call you Miss America,’ ” Parcells recalled.

Glenn would catch Tom Brady’s first touchdown pass in New England in 2001.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article185603813.html#storylink=cpy

Look. Flores and Grier blew this. Okay? These guy are very competent. No doubt in my mind. But this remains the worst trade in franchise history.

You have no idea whether they blew it or not. One season in PITT doesn’t prove a thing. And even if he maintains, it doesn’t mean he would have ever been a great fit in MIA. Don’t forget, he played for 2 staffs and never performed up to his draft status.

Furthermore, as someone else pointed out, if trading him away helped to land Tua in any way and Tua pans out as the QB this franchise has been endlessly searching for — it was a great trade.

Labeling it as the worst trade in franchise history is not only premature, it reeks of hyperbole.

Dumb front office move ...period
Bad coaching choice...period

I like Flores but his personnel moves have given me pause since he has been here

Stop me if you have heard this before: Minkah Fitzpatrick is unhappy with how he is being used. Seems familiar does it not? Except, this time, it seems to be the exact opposite of the issues he had with the Miami Dolphins. Fitzpatrick, now a Pro Bowl player with the Pittsburgh Steelers, complained about being misused by the Dolphins, who were looking to create mismatches and play him all across the field, and is now complaining that he is stuck playing only as a free safety with the Steelers.
Fitzpatrick wanted out of Miami because they were looking to change his role week to week. They were asking him to play free safety, strong safety, nickel cornerback, and field/boundary cornerback. They wanted him in zone and man coverage, and they wanted to use his versatility to create mismatches, prevent him from being the player that cannot make a play in a critical moment, and not allow quarterbacks to stay away from one of the most talented players on the field.
Fitzpatrick did not like it.

He wanted to be used where he felt he fit best. He wanted to be a free safety. He was being misused by the Dolphins, something even his mother declared on Twitter, The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly remarked that Fitzpatrick was not playing well during an August practice, leading to Fitzpatrick’s mom, Melissa, responding on Twitter.
Those discussions, after Miami started the season 0-2 with blowout losses to the Baltimore Ravensand New England Patriots, ultimately led to Fitzpatrick talking his way out of Miami. The Dolphins moved him to Pittsburgh in exchange for a first round draft pick, a selection that landed at 18 after Pittsburgh’s 8-8 season.
Fitzpatrick was installed as the Steelers’ starting free safety, and everything was great for the first seven games, when he recorded five interceptions and 34 tackles. “I am comfortable on the field. [They] just allowed me to play fast and do what I do. That is the thing I like about here — we run what we run, and we run it well. We don’t try to do too much, don’t try to change it up week to week.”

The Steelers were 5-2 in those seven games, including a 27-14 win over the Dolphins.

Fitzpatrick liked it.

Over the final seven weeks of the season, Fitzpatrick had no interceptions and 23 tackles. The Steelers were 3-4 over the final seven games - coincidentally the exact same record as Miami over that span - and ended the season on a three-game losing streak.
Fitzpatrick told ESPN’s Brooke Pryor last week at the Super Bowl. Quarterbacks were staying away from him as the Steelers played him solely as the deep safety, limiting his ability to read, react, and make plays.
“I wanted to continue to have that impact on my team and have that impact on games,” Fitzpatrick explained. “Because it’s no fun when you’re in a critical moment and you can’t do nothing about it.

“When you move around and you’re a moving piece on the chessboard, it’s hard to defend and you can’t just say, ‘All right, the quarterback is going to look at me and say he’s going to be in this spot every snap,’ like I was last year. It’s going to be harder and it’s going to be more difficult to take me out of the game.”

That is a far cry from Fitzpatrick’s comments in October, when he was a ball-hawk, picking off passes with regularity and making plays as a pure free safety. Suddenly, Fitzpatrick wants to play multiple roles on the defense. He wants to move around. He wants the Steelers to line him up in ways that keeps defenses guessing.
In other words, he wants a role similar to how Miami would have been using him.

I guess flow was right after all.

There are three sides to every story, yours, mine and the truth. Wish i could have heard from Flores if he was made available to talk about it.
Why? Flores is well past it. Minkah showed his @ss and made a fool of himself. He didn't even try what Flores was doing and thought he knew better. Young punk that thinks he's bigger than the team. Bye Bye MF your initials tell the tale...

Overly tired of worrying about a player who is no longer a dolphin and pulled a "me first" stunt. Perhaps the focus should be more about how a group of misfits played inspired football as a TEAM. The Dolphins handled it the way they could have. Good player..yes. Bigger than the team? Not even close. No.

This team used minkah as it’s get out of jail free card the entire time he was here.

think about it. We got no damn slot cause mccain is bad there too hey minkah that’s you. We got no second boundary after that udfa we hyped all camp long looked like *** in the preseason hey minkah step up. We got no strong safety/box safety/hybrid lb cause we mismanaged the hell out of our free agency/incumbent roster/draft assets and our off ball lb level had the range of a 2 down thumper ask and cod of an aircraft carrier hey minkah sacrifice your nfl shelf life and long term earnings capabilities in the process.
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He did WTF N.Satan told him to do. Everybody was unhappy for the first 8 games last year, but those that lasted bought in, Minka felt like he didn't have to. He couldn't afford to wait for a more competitive situation. Anybody outside the NBA does that, they find a new job. It's no different here, no matter what he thought HE does not get paid to make that decision. Good riddance. Chances are he'll become unhappy as soon as the Steelers start losing.

Stop me if you have heard this before: Minkah Fitzpatrick is unhappy with how he is being used. Seems familiar does it not? Except, this time, it seems to be the exact opposite of the issues he had with the Miami Dolphins. Fitzpatrick, now a Pro Bowl player with the Pittsburgh Steelers, complained about being misused by the Dolphins, who were looking to create mismatches and play him all across the field, and is now complaining that he is stuck playing only as a free safety with the Steelers.
Fitzpatrick wanted out of Miami because they were looking to change his role week to week. They were asking him to play free safety, strong safety, nickel cornerback, and field/boundary cornerback. They wanted him in zone and man coverage, and they wanted to use his versatility to create mismatches, prevent him from being the player that cannot make a play in a critical moment, and not allow quarterbacks to stay away from one of the most talented players on the field.
Fitzpatrick did not like it.

He wanted to be used where he felt he fit best. He wanted to be a free safety. He was being misused by the Dolphins, something even his mother declared on Twitter, The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly remarked that Fitzpatrick was not playing well during an August practice, leading to Fitzpatrick’s mom, Melissa, responding on Twitter.
Those discussions, after Miami started the season 0-2 with blowout losses to the Baltimore Ravensand New England Patriots, ultimately led to Fitzpatrick talking his way out of Miami. The Dolphins moved him to Pittsburgh in exchange for a first round draft pick, a selection that landed at 18 after Pittsburgh’s 8-8 season.
Fitzpatrick was installed as the Steelers’ starting free safety, and everything was great for the first seven games, when he recorded five interceptions and 34 tackles. “I am comfortable on the field. [They] just allowed me to play fast and do what I do. That is the thing I like about here — we run what we run, and we run it well. We don’t try to do too much, don’t try to change it up week to week.”

The Steelers were 5-2 in those seven games, including a 27-14 win over the Dolphins.

Fitzpatrick liked it.

Over the final seven weeks of the season, Fitzpatrick had no interceptions and 23 tackles. The Steelers were 3-4 over the final seven games - coincidentally the exact same record as Miami over that span - and ended the season on a three-game losing streak.
Fitzpatrick told ESPN’s Brooke Pryor last week at the Super Bowl. Quarterbacks were staying away from him as the Steelers played him solely as the deep safety, limiting his ability to read, react, and make plays.
“I wanted to continue to have that impact on my team and have that impact on games,” Fitzpatrick explained. “Because it’s no fun when you’re in a critical moment and you can’t do nothing about it.

“When you move around and you’re a moving piece on the chessboard, it’s hard to defend and you can’t just say, ‘All right, the quarterback is going to look at me and say he’s going to be in this spot every snap,’ like I was last year. It’s going to be harder and it’s going to be more difficult to take me out of the game.”

That is a far cry from Fitzpatrick’s comments in October, when he was a ball-hawk, picking off passes with regularity and making plays as a pure free safety. Suddenly, Fitzpatrick wants to play multiple roles on the defense. He wants to move around. He wants the Steelers to line him up in ways that keeps defenses guessing.
In other words, he wants a role similar to how Miami would have been using him.

I guess flow was right after all.
So what this tells me he wants to be a diva WR, but plays FS.

Look. Flores and Grier blew this. Okay? These guy are very competent. No doubt in my mind. But this remains the worst trade in franchise history.

There have been a few stinkers over the past couple decades.

It remains to be seen how this one will play out but right now it doesn't look all that great. I think if Flores was more entrenched and felt a bit more secure in his position at the time this would never have happened.

At the same time this could still go in any number of different directions. That Ricky trade looked like a brilliant maneuver after the first season in Miami. After a couple of seasons the Tunsil, Alonso, Maxwell trade was looking like an amazing haul. Hindsight's a bitch. Odds are pretty good that hes not going to repeat that 5 game stretch he had after the trade and will still be asking to be the highest paid safety in the game after this season. Who knows how that will play out in Pittsburgh.

Good riddance. Sounds like a selfish prick to be honest..

Its ok to like Brian Flores but still question his personal moves.

Trading Minkah was a bad move, but getting rid of him helped aid the season that landed us Tua.

That trade made it super obvious, if it wasn't already, that Miami was tearing it all down.

The trade now becomes M. Fitzpatrick for Jackson. Fitzpatrick didn't want to be here so I could care less about his career at this point. I hope Jackson lives up to his potential. If so, it's a good trade for the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom